Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   2017 Specialized Roubaix review (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1079752)

vinuneuro 04-24-17 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by gunnar9090 (Post 19533233)
Purchased my 2017 Roubaix in late January. Bearings in the headset and lower race disintegrated mid February. Specialized initially refused to cover the repair and cost of parts under warranty (warranty states they don't cover "moving" parts). After arguing with my LBS they eventually agreed to cover it.

Problem is Specialized doesn't have any parts available. It's now April 24 and bike is still in the shop. I asked my local shop (Sigma Sport here in the UK) to grab some bearings out of one of their in stock new bikes and they wouldn't do it since they didn't want to leave a new bike unable to be sold. So, that leaves me without a bike now for over two months.

You can imagine I'm beyond P.O.'d with this bike and situation.

Bearings are bearings, and Specialized are sourcing them from some bearing supplier. Find out the dimensions and order them yourself from a bearing store. Whatever you need, these guys can probably get it for you.

Wych Bearings Limited - Buy Online, Bearing Supplier, Housed Bearings, oil Seals, Adhesives, Lubricants, Roller Chain and Engineering Supplies - WychBearings.co.uk

SWorksRoubaix 04-24-17 08:10 AM

You need to find another LBS for your next bike.

Originally Posted by gunnar9090 (Post 19533233)
I asked my local shop (Sigma Sport here in the UK) to grab some bearings out of one of their in stock new bikes and they wouldn't do it since they didn't want to leave a new bike unable to be sold. So, that leaves me without a bike now for over two months.

tedder987 04-24-17 07:15 PM

I'm running around 100psi front + rear but the front leaks slightly so its usually at 85 when I 'top it up'. Lower pressure does help with the ride (I weigh ~205 lbs) and no pinch flats so far (a shade over 900 miles since I got it in January).

fwiw I love this bike. It takes all the high frequency vibes out of the handlebars (its still not a 29'er with tons of drop so don't expect to hit a major bump without feeling it) which is the monkey on my back. Once you get one, ride a 'normal' bike once in a while to remember what you are missing.

Originally Posted by BillCT (Post 19503617)
Just picked up a 2017 Roubaix Expert UDi2 and love the bike. Replaced a 2011 Roubaix Pro SL3 DA and couldn't be happier. The front end is much smoother, the brakes can be modulated with one finger and the shifting is flawless (something that was never right on the 7900 DA with internal cable routing).

Question for those with a 2017 and the stock Specialized 26mm tires. What pressures are you running? The tire lists a 100-125 pressure range, but I suspect lower pressures would improve the ride. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

yellow130 05-25-17 07:00 PM

After much internal debate and wishy washy-ing, I finally picked up mine. A Roubaix Expert.
It might be the placebo effect of a new fancy bike - but I do feel as if I can accelerate, cruise, and climb better than the older bike.

What's definitely not a figment of my imagination - the lack of pain in my wrists after a long ride. Carpal Tunnel begone!

FWIW, the other contender was a Cannondale Slate. What won me over was the 700C wheels, seatpost compliance, and the fact that my LBS actually had one in stock.

Masque 05-25-17 09:49 PM

Congratulations, yellow. Welcome to the bouncy racing couch club!

rebem 06-19-17 06:14 PM

I've just received my warranty replacement 2017 S-Works Roubaix and can't wait to build it up. However there are a number of key parts missing from the box so I'm playing the waiting game again...

Anyone noticed that there are 2 variants of the S-Works frame? I've seen one with an extra cable port on the right side of the down tube (2 ports total) and mine which only has one on the left. Mine is marked eTap on the box but I'm hoping to build it with DA Di2. Does anyone have any experience building Di2 on the eTap frames?

Masque 06-20-17 07:15 AM

The extra port is for mechanical groupsets and is present on the Ruby S-Works, but neither of the 11r Roubaix frames from what I've seen. Di2 should work swimmingly with the port on the left side alone.

SWorksRoubaix 06-20-17 08:02 AM

What did you have before that is being replaced under warranty?

Originally Posted by rebem (Post 19664052)
I've just received my warranty replacement 2017 S-Works Roubaix and can't wait to build it up. However there are a number of key parts missing from the box so I'm playing the waiting game again...

Anyone noticed that there are 2 variants of the S-Works frame? I've seen one with an extra cable port on the right side of the down tube (2 ports total) and mine which only has one on the left. Mine is marked eTap on the box but I'm hoping to build it with DA Di2. Does anyone have any experience building Di2 on the eTap frames?

rebem 06-20-17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SWorksRoubaix (Post 19665025)
What did you have before that is being replaced under warranty?

2011 S-Works Roubaix with Ultegra Di2.

vinuneuro 06-20-17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rebem (Post 19664052)

I'm not sure how, but you should be able to since the Pro Di2 shares the frame with the S-Works etap model.

exRunner 06-20-17 06:24 PM

I've had the orange and black expert version since April. It has just over 1200 miles and 3 crits on it. I race cat 3 and weigh 170 lbs. 6 ft. and ride a 54 (the Allez was a 56) professionally fit. Good weather, rain, bad roads, and hard racing.

I raced an Allez before this bike. No difference in handling and response. I don't notice the front end moving even up out of the saddle putting 1000 watts down in a finish line sprint. The only time I feel it is when I bounce it to show someone how it works.

This my first bike ever with a 50/34 front end and I'm starting to regret not changing it when I installed the power meter. Same for disc brakes. I wasn't wild about them until I rode the bike in the rain. No change in feel or modulation. Now I'm hooked.

I'm still running the OEM tires. Currently running 90 psi with no issues. 85 affected the handling - the bike felt loose in hard corners - 5 more psi and that went away.

My version did not come with the $95 SWAT road kit and as of last weekend it still wasn't available to buy separately. I'm using the road bandit from the Allez I may just leave it.

The bike seems to work well as a complete system in very harsh racing conditions under a moderately heavy rider.

vinuneuro 06-20-17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by exRunner (Post 19666545)
I've had the orange and black expert version since April. It has just over 1200 miles and 3 crits on it. I race cat 3 and weigh 170 lbs. 6 ft. and ride a 54 (the Allez was a 56) professionally fit. Good weather, rain, bad roads, and hard racing.

I raced an Allez before this bike. No difference in handling and response. I don't notice the front end moving even up out of the saddle putting 1000 watts down in a finish line sprint. The only time I feel it is when I bounce it to show someone how it works.

This my first bike ever with a 50/34 front end and I'm starting to regret not changing it when I installed the power meter. Same for disc brakes. I wasn't wild about them until I rode the bike in the rain. No change in feel or modulation. Now I'm hooked.

I'm still running the OEM tires. Currently running 90 psi with no issues. 85 affected the handling - the bike felt loose in hard corners - 5 more psi and that went away.

My version did not come with the $95 SWAT road kit and as of last weekend it still wasn't available to buy separately. I'm using the road bandit from the Allez I may just leave it.

The bike seems to work well as a complete system in very harsh racing conditions under a moderately heavy rider.

Did you choose the 54 for a specific fit reason? Typically 6ft height is 56 or 58, often 58.

exRunner 06-20-17 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by vinuneuro (Post 19666565)
Did you choose the 54 for a specific fit reason? Typically 6ft height is 56 or 58, often 58.

It was chosen by the bike fitter who I've used for years. He knows that I race and how I ride. He looked up my fit numbers and ordered the bike. At setup he put a slightly longer stem on the bike. That was the only component change. It feels just like the 56 Allez under me.

rebem 06-20-17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by vinuneuro (Post 19666536)
I'm not sure how, but you should be able to since the Pro Di2 shares the frame with the S-Works etap model.

Good to know, thanks vinuneuro. Did you find that out from experience or is there some online information you can point me at?

The cable exit point on the eTap frame is quite low - in the same position as a standard cable exit point for the front derailleur which is weird for a bike that won't take a manual shift groupset. I'm sure a cable will route to the Di2 FD but it will be a longer run that usual.

vinuneuro 06-20-17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by rebem (Post 19666720)
Good to know, thanks vinuneuro. Did you find that out from experience or is there some online information you can point me at?

The cable exit point on the eTap frame is quite low - in the same position as a standard cable exit point for the front derailleur which is weird for a bike that won't take a manual shift groupset. I'm sure a cable will route to the Di2 FD but it will be a longer run that usual.

Just the Specialized site. All are 10r frames except the S-Works and Pro which are 11r. Shows the cable routing on the drive side too.

rebem 06-21-17 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vinuneuro (Post 19666877)
Just the Specialized site. All are 10r frames except the S-Works and Pro which are 11r. Shows the cable routing on the drive side too.

Ah yes but my frame doesn't have routing on the drive (right) side. Only the left side, so that makes me think there are two different frames.

Take a look at the S-Works "Frameset" on the Spec site and compare it to the eTap S-Works. Mine is the latter and might be slightly more difficult to fit Di2 on the front derailleur.

I've attached a (not so great) photo of the FD cable exit point. Not sure why this is there if the frame is eTap only, other than to accommodate Di2 because the frame won't take manual cables.

vinuneuro 06-21-17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rebem (Post 19668773)
Ah yes but my frame doesn't have routing on the drive (right) side. Only the left side, so that makes me think there are two different frames.

Take a look at the S-Works "Frameset" on the Spec site and compare it to the eTap S-Works. Mine is the latter and might be slightly more difficult to fit Di2 on the front derailleur.

I've attached a (not so great) photo of the FD cable exit point. Not sure why this is there if the frame is eTap only, other than to accommodate Di2 because the frame won't take manual cables.

Look at the link below. The Pro Di2 11r on the Specialized site also doesn't show right/drive side cable routing so it seems to be a repainted version of what you've got. They have an 'etap' Tarmac frame as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ro-udi2/128570

rebem 06-21-17 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=vinuneuro;19668834]Look at the link below. The Pro Di2 11r on the Specialized site also doesn't show right/drive side cable routing so it seems to be a repainted version of what you've got. They have an 'etap' Tarmac frame as well.

Wow, now I'm totally confused! But that's a good sign because hopefully the routing will be the same :)

OldTryGuy 06-21-17 05:35 PM

Picked-up a Roubaix Expert today and going out tomorrow for a 100+ miler then 135/150 miler on Saturday. Expect nothing but an enjoyable ride since I did a short test ride end of April. Will bring it back to the LBS after Saturday's ride since the owner just wanted me to give it a ride for a couple of days.

lsberrios1 06-21-17 06:26 PM

Has anybody built a Boonen replica yet? We have one at the store waiting for somebody to buy it so we can build it and so far, with the gold CLX50 wheels, it looks incredible.

Hench94 06-22-17 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=rebem;19668862]

Originally Posted by vinuneuro (Post 19668834)
Look at the link below. The Pro Di2 11r on the Specialized site also doesn't show right/drive side cable routing so it seems to be a repainted version of what you've got. They have an 'etap' Tarmac frame as well.

Wow, now I'm totally confused! But that's a good sign because hopefully the routing will be the same :)

My 2017 Roubaix Pro UDi2 only has one down tube cable port on the left side. The brake cable and the Di2 wire are both run through that same left port. Hope that helps.

rebem 06-22-17 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=Hench94;19669777]

Originally Posted by rebem (Post 19668862)
My 2017 Roubaix Pro UDi2 only has one down tube cable port on the left side. The brake cable and the Di2 wire are both run through that same left port. Hope that helps.

Thanks Hench94. Where is your exit hole for the front derailleur? On the BB area or up the seat tube near the braze on?

Hench94 06-22-17 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=rebem;19669787]

Originally Posted by Hench94 (Post 19669777)

Thanks Hench94. Where is your exit hole for the front derailleur? On the BB area or up the seat tube near the braze on?

On the BB, as seen in the picture you posted.

OldTryGuy 06-22-17 02:14 PM

121 outstanding miles on the borrowed 2017 Roubaix today. Shooting for 150+ on Saturday.

wheelhot 07-02-17 10:45 PM

Hmm, Roubaix Comp Blue or Orange? Can't decide.

I'm guessing they won't be any change for 2018 except for new colors?