Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Kick stand or no? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=577802)

Vatn 08-25-09 02:35 AM

But of course! I'm not religious ...

Timber_8 08-25-09 02:51 AM

I always use a kick stand but my bike is always inside if I'm not on it

Juha 08-25-09 03:15 AM

Yes, two hybrids and both came with kickstands. Pretty much all hybrids/commuting/utility bikes come with one around here. My winter bike's stand was not very good and stand started getting shaky after >10 years of heavy use, so I removed it. The other bike still has it. I consider it a good thing to be able to park the bike upright on its own, especially when I have panniers or other touring gear on it.

--J

KShep 08-25-09 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by WCoastPeddler (Post 9551820)
-- and I absolutely agree with the above poster about kickstands on racing bikes -- I just can't imagine the ribbing someone would get for having a kickstand on a Cervelo. :eek:

I really don't have a problem seeing a kickstand on a cruiser or city type bike though, in fact, I think they almost need one to have the look (I like those big fat tired cruisers -- they're so dorky looking that they're cool -- and they're a hoot to ride).

Kickstand on a mountain bike or fast hybrid? I don't think so.
Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider (Post 9550921)
I can understand using a kickstand for some applications; however, I'm not over warm on them. I rather find a vertical flat surface or a pole to lean the bike against. What drives me crazy though is a kickstand on a racing bike. :notamused:

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 9550827)
If you take the bike down off the hooks, ride it, then put it back on the hooks, then no kickstand is needed.

If you ride your bike, get off the bike and do things, then get back on and ride it home, then a kickstand is helpful. Not essential maybe, but helpful

+1 to all the above.

I voted no since I take it down, inspect it, ride and put it back up. On the cruiser and city bikes mentioned by WCoast it is doubtful a kickstand would elicit a second glance.....but on a road, quick hybrid or mountain bike a kickstand would stand out as a blemish imo.

Bat22 08-25-09 07:05 AM

When all other hybrids are laying down, mine are still standing up... haa haa.
A sidestand on all my GP bikes are too utilitarian and convenient.
My sidestands get used every day.:)

Rich1 08-25-09 07:48 AM

Let me begin with a disclaimer. I'm not suggesting that the following is anyone's current motivation for using or not using a kickstand. Just some historical observation.

Back in the 70's when I got my 10-speed, the more expensive bikes tended to not come with kickstands, and were perceived to be for more "serious" bikers, who were presumed to be concerned with speed. A kickstand added unnecessary weight. Bikes at the lower end, cost wise, would be more "recreational", so the kickstand was included. Example - my Schwinn Continental came with a kickstand, but a Paramount did not.

I think this just stuck as part of the culture. In looking at the 2009 Giant catalog, the closer a bike is to being perceived as recreational, the more likely it is to be shown with a kickstand.

This doesn't necessary coorelate to the way people actually use their bikes, but probably does to a large extent.

My personal thoughts...If you do have a kickstand, you have the option of using it or not, depending on your situation.

Little Darwin 08-25-09 07:57 AM

I don't mind laying a bike down that doesn't have one, but I do like using them when available. I went through a phase of always removing them, but frankly, I can take them or leave them.

If I have one on a bike and it isn;t stable, I probably would take it off instead of futzing with it.

TinyCycler 08-25-09 10:05 AM

I'm so glad you set up this poll. I just shopped for a bicycle on Friday and bought a Trek 7000 WSD on Saturday. At one LBS, I was snootily told that no, a bike I was trying didn't come with a kickstand. He acted like I was an idiot for even wanting one. I bought my bike from another LBS the next day. My bike came with a kickstand. I'm happy.

Bat22 08-25-09 11:05 AM

I like my kick stand so much, I don't kick it anymore.
Now I call it a side stand.:)

Kevrob 08-25-09 11:19 AM

Both my bikes have kickstands. The X-Mart FauxMTB has one standard. My craigslist/bikeshop hybrid has a Greenfield, which could have been an aftermarket addition.

If I was buying a new bike-shop quality bike, I wouldn't have them add a kickstand. I'd get something like a Click-Stand. It looks very handy.

Kevin

Terrierman 08-25-09 12:29 PM

No kickstands here, don't see the need. Bike leans against whatever is there and if there is no whatever, I will just lay it down. Very seldom is there no whatever.

sh00k 08-25-09 12:38 PM

I've seen the click-stand before. neat idea but:

1) You gotta unfold the thing which i guess doesn't take too. much time BUT
2) you have to have your brakes engaged to use it so the click stand comes with these rubber-band like things that you have to put onto your brakes so the bike doesnt roll away

is it just me or does that seem like 5x the trouble instead of just getting off your bike and kicking a kickstand down.....?

i duno... maybe im just crazy....

wrafl 08-25-09 12:58 PM

Both of my bikes are equipped with kickstand. I use them mostly when I stop and dismount the bike. I hate laying the bike on the ground or leaning it agaisnt the wall for safety reasons.

Vatn 08-25-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kevrob (Post 9554015)
If I was buying a new bike-shop quality bike, I wouldn't have them add a kickstand. I'd get something like a Click-Stand. It looks very handy.

Wow, your bike might remain standing, but I think I'd fall over laughing! :roflmao2: What's with this kickstand allergy, anyway?

Kevrob 08-25-09 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vatn (Post 9554722)
Wow, your bike might remain standing, but I think I'd fall over laughing! :roflmao2: What's with this kickstand allergy, anyway?

Besides the weight, which isn't an issue for me, sometimes a kickstand leads to heelstrike.

What I like about the Click-Stand is that it seems like it would be more stable when used on wet or broken ground.

Kevin

tatfiend 08-25-09 03:17 PM

I have kickstands on most of my regularly used bikes. Most are dual leg versions like the Esge Plescher or Hebie Bipod models as they are very stable. The Hebies are ugly as sin but IMO excellent for a utility use bike. When folded the Esge Plescher looks pretty much like a regular side stand.

TexasEdit 08-27-09 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 9552689)
Let me begin with a disclaimer. I'm not suggesting that the following is anyone's current motivation for using or not using a kickstand. Just some historical observation.

Back in the 70's when I got my 10-speed, the more expensive bikes tended to not come with kickstands, and were perceived to be for more "serious" bikers, who were presumed to be concerned with speed. A kickstand added unnecessary weight. Bikes at the lower end, cost wise, would be more "recreational", so the kickstand was included. Example - my Schwinn Continental came with a kickstand, but a Paramount did not.

I think this just stuck as part of the culture. In looking at the 2009 Giant catalog, the closer a bike is to being perceived as recreational, the more likely it is to be shown with a kickstand.

This doesn't necessary coorelate to the way people actually use their bikes, but probably does to a large extent.

My personal thoughts...If you do have a kickstand, you have the option of using it or not, depending on your situation.

I agree with this ... but it sure seems counter-intuitive ... it would seem that riders would be more likely to lay down or lean a cheaper bike ... I would think if you put some real coin into your ride you'd want the ability to keep it out of the dirt or protect the components from getting knocked against a wall or post.

JonathanGennick 08-28-09 06:35 AM

The problem w/kickstands is that they -- or rather, the lack thereof -- have become associated with style points. People who might actually prefer them thus get long lectures about how and why they can get along without them.

It's almost like the situation with pedals. I can't count the number of times I get subtle hints about my "wrong" pedal choice when I ride with other people.

Kickstands are useful, else this whole issue wouldn't come up so often.

Pax 08-28-09 07:06 AM

My "fast" 7.5 has fenders, rear rack, folding metal panniers, and lights...it's set up for commuting. I would love to have a kickstand but the bike would topple using a typical single sided one (the panniers are heavy), if I could find one of those centerstand ones you see on the Dutch bikes I'd definitely add one.

Chuck G 08-28-09 09:43 AM

My hybrid has a kickstand because I use that bike for towing my kids in a trailer. I tried without one at first but you don't always have a readily available place to lean your bike when you need to dismount and check on the younguns. It's pretty annoying when your bike falls over while trying to get the kids strapped into/out of the trailer :notamused:

My commuter (road touring) bike and SS roadie do not have kickstands. I have thought about getting a double legged kickstand for the touring bike, but I can't see Fredifying the SS roadie that much.

guybierhaus 08-28-09 06:09 PM

The hybrid came with a kick stand but I went on a weight weenie binge once and took it off. Don't really miss it. Half the time on a trail the bike fell over any way as ground was too soft to support stand leg. And of course I use the road bike on pavement, and I believe it's against the law to put a kick stand on a road bike.

TheCappucinoKid 08-28-09 09:39 PM

I debated that issue myself today. In the past, I always took off the kickstands to my bikes to minimize the weight. Today I started putting kickstands on all my bikes. I find that sometimes, they do come in handy, and always having to lean it against something, you increase the risk of scratching the frame or damaging spokes or other parts. Since I am working on my bikes these days, this is when a kickstand comes in most handy, for me, for certain types of maintenance. But you should know not to engage the kickstand on a windy day, or on grass, or other uneven ground.

I'll probably hover between periods where I take them off, and periods when I keep them on. All I know is, I'm way past caring whether the "cool kids" will want to be friends with me.

dedhed 08-29-09 08:27 AM

My hybrid and road commuters do, my road pleasure doesn't, although it has a "flick stand". Weight isn't an issue on the commuters and the convenience factor is major. The other road bike's geometry doesn't have room for one anyway. That one gets ridden and hung back up.

alicestrong 08-29-09 12:14 PM

Yes the Marin has a kickstand, as does my Sportabout. Very handy.

Road, mountain, fixed, no...

agc1976 09-09-09 05:54 AM

What is a good reason not to use a kickstand on a fast hybrid? I'm debating wether or not to put one on my Quick 3.