Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Starch is the supplement in charge of giving us vitality, (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177477)

Lemond1985 07-06-19 08:27 PM

It's just a distraction from the real news, which is that scientists have discovered that CORN is the newest superfood. :rolleyes:

It does run in your gas tank though, is found in almost all processed foods, and is largely responsible for making the US and Mexico two of the fattest countries on earth.

Fahrenheit531 07-06-19 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21014502)
Spoiler alert: it's gibberish.

You find your starch-related epiphanies where you like. I'm going with the finest potato and laundry-spray nutritional thread this side of the C&V, thank you very much.

Siu Blue Wind 07-06-19 09:25 PM

Whats going on in here? Maybe we should be a little more STIFF

Lemond1985 07-06-19 09:31 PM

When MAD Magazine (who just announced plans to shut down last week) did their parody of "All In The Family" back in the 70's, the Archie Bunker character was named "Starchie Bunkerhead" :D

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...10267e631e.jpg

canklecat 07-07-19 12:42 AM

Only nine more junk posts and we get to see the magic links to spambot's treasure.

livedarklions 07-07-19 02:51 AM

Starch is in charge!

Nermal 07-07-19 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 21012199)

Too bad that ear of corn wasn't a sled dog. You could call it Husky and Starch.

wolfchild 07-07-19 08:22 AM

This must be the greatest and most informative nutrition thread ever on bikeforums.

bakerjw 07-07-19 08:58 AM

FWIW... I view processed starches as being one of the biggest culprits to obesity.
1 - Consume highly processed starch (white bread, white pasta, etc...) <- High glycemic index.
2 - Enzymes in the body quickly converts the starches to sugar.
3 - Insulin is produced is large quantities to process the sugars.
4 - Once metabolized excess insulin triggers hunger reflex...
5 - Cycle continues.

Darth Lefty 07-07-19 12:59 PM

Yeah, no fried carbs is a pretty good start to a diet plan, along with nothing that has starch, fat, sugar as first three ingredients

BillyD 07-07-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21014997)
FWIW... I view processed starches as being one of the biggest culprits to obesity.
1 - Consume highly processed starch (white bread, white pasta, etc...) <- High glycemic index.
2 - Enzymes in the body quickly converts the starches to sugar.
3 - Insulin is produced is large quantities to process the sugars.
4 - Once metabolized excess insulin triggers hunger reflex...
5 - Cycle continues.

Finally somebody gets it. Starches are not like the good carbs, like vegetables for instance. Starches turn immediately into sugar when ingested, and sugar is the debil.

Lemond1985 07-07-19 04:38 PM

Well, GM corn is technically a vegetable. :lol:

But yeah, starches are still technically carbs, but they are easily broken down into some really nasty sugars, you might may as well be drinking a can of soda as eating processed food with cheap corn starches in it as "filler".

BillyD 07-07-19 05:24 PM

Exactly.

wolfchild 07-07-19 05:37 PM

Starchy carbs are not the enemy. Some of the healthiest diets in the world are based on high carb intake.

KraneXL 07-07-19 07:30 PM

Starch is an obsolete term for carbohydrate. Although nowadays it is further distinguished when processing removes the beneficial part of the the grain, leaving only the starch. One reason why white flour and white rice always includes the term "enriched".

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 21015773)
Starchy carbs are not the enemy. Some of the healthiest diets in the world are based on high carb intake.

In fact, most of the world survives on it. However, those are carbs in the complex variety, not the simple sugars that we here in the U.S. love to consume in abundance.

canklecat 07-07-19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21015835)
and yet, even though reported to moderators, the thread is allowed to continue. even more bizarre is that the admin and mods are posting in it too.

Hey, mods need fun too.

When I was a mod on a couple of niche hobbyist sites, including a photography site, we'd occasionally have a little fun with bots and human spammers. The best was when one of those shameless LA celebrity photographers hired someone to hype his reputation. He advertised on craigslist for an "intern" to handle his social media -- presumably one of those great unpaid positions for which you're compensated with exposure and networking and contacts and... stuff.

He got more than his no-money's worth. The intern created a dozen sockpuppets and launched an impressive meta-conversation with herself, with some socks pimping the photographer while others berated him for being a narcissistic name dropper, and other socks would take the concern-troll position, etc. It was the best spam campaign any of us had ever seen, just brilliant in audacity and humor. We let it run for a couple of days just for laughs, then closed and archived it for posterity.

veganbikes 07-07-19 08:48 PM

Hello I am Cycling Joe,

I represent the concern of Awfully Good Starches. We are manufacture of high quality starches for the athletic needs of athletes and people who are also interested. We have manufacture for many tastes in this our global world and now like to present our very good and fine product to you as well. We are number one rated and can service you with the needs. Our starches are manufacture for best taste and also many have also good health to you as well. I am eating our starch every time and having much vitality and you can also have same of the vitality with our product. If you are not believing to me please see this quote from the Peter Sagan: "Hello, I prefer to eat the Awfully Good Starches for when I am cycling, it is the best taste and has lot of vitality for me so I can make a win."

To have more information please visit our internet website for best info: Awfully Good Starches

Thank you most internally,
Cycling Joe
Chief officer of many good taste
Awfully Good Starches

aclinjury 07-07-19 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21012235)
The brain seems to do pretty well on ketone bodies.

the brain's preferred souce of fuel is glucose. However, when there is no glucose available, then the brain will use secondary fuel ketone (this is what happens when you are starving and dipping soley into your fat reserve).
People who purposely go into ketosis is forcing the brain to use a less than optimal fuel. And even when a person is in ketosis, and you then present the brain with ketone and glucose as fuel substrates, guess what fuel will the brain use first? Yep, GLUCOSE! As far as the brain is concerned, there is no such thing as "keto adaptation".

Dr.Lou 07-07-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21013556)
Hey! It's this or chain lube. You have a choice. Choose wisely.

Or what to seat to use with chronic hemorrhoids.

OldTryGuy 07-08-19 03:37 AM

eee qual pay

--- EEE QUAL PAY

------ EEE QUAL PAY

for Moderators !!! :hug:

MoAlpha 07-08-19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by aclinjury (Post 21016187)
the brain's preferred souce of fuel is glucose. However, when there is no glucose available, then the brain will use secondary fuel ketone (this is what happens when you are starving and dipping soley into your fat reserve).
People who purposely go into ketosis is forcing the brain to use a less than optimal fuel. And even when a person is in ketosis, and you then present the brain with ketone and glucose as fuel substrates, guess what fuel will the brain use first? Yep, GLUCOSE! As far as the brain is concerned, there is no such thing as "keto adaptation".

Yeah, yeah. I should have known that comment would invite correction. However, I pushed enough amps of D50 into comatose and seizing patients during medical school and residency to understand that the brain needs glucose. However, the roles of cerebral ketone metabolism in the evolution of the mammalian brain, hybernation, the first day or two after birth, alzheimer disease, etc., are fascinating and critically important.

Lemond1985 07-08-19 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 21015988)
Starch is an obsolete term for carbohydrate. Although nowadays it is further distinguished when processing removes the beneficial part of the the grain, leaving only the starch. One reason why white flour and white rice always includes the term "enriched".

In fact, most of the world survives on it. However, those are carbs in the complex variety, not the simple sugars that we here in the U.S. love to consume in abundance.

Yep, I prefer my starch right out of the can. With my busy schedule, who has time for cooking in the morning?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SS350_.jpg

willibrord 07-08-19 11:31 AM

keto vs starch?

Choose keto.

livedarklions 07-08-19 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by willibrord (Post 21016950)
keto vs starch?

Choose keto.

No.

Higher mortality rate from all causes and while initial weight loss is faster on keto, that effect disappears very quickly.

BillyD 07-08-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21015835)
and yet, even though reported to moderators, the thread is allowed to continue. even more bizarre is that the admin and mods are posting in it too.

Thanks for the report but we're trying something. Others get it. Thanks! :)