Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   New bike at 70? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1223099)

pinsonp2 02-06-21 05:36 AM

I'll turn 70 in December. Ordered a new Domane last week to ensure I had it to do my annual bd ride in Oct . Go for it!

Greenhil 02-06-21 07:04 AM

You’re going to get a lot of encouragement here to buy. It’s gives the rest of us justification for making our own purchases! Seriously, though, there’s a good chance it will increase your riding and therefore improve your fitness, which will lengthen your riding life. For the record, I’m 72 and just bought a new bike. Having you buy one, too, will make me feel better.

oldwinger14 02-06-21 07:36 AM

I am 72 and bought a Cannondale Synapse last Spring. I cannot be any happier with my decision to buy it. If you do not buy a new bike, you will always have the thought in your mind about the reasons you decided against it. Go for it...!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a319758f2.jpeg

John_V 02-06-21 08:34 AM

Go for it! I bought my Colnago CRS at 71. I'm not taking any of my money with me when it's my time so I might as well spend it on what I want and enjoy it while I can.

bblair 02-06-21 08:48 AM

As I see it, the question is thus: "Will the enjoyment I get out of a new bike out weigh the aggravation I get from my spouse for spending?"

I think you know the answer, otherwise you would not be on BikeForums.net

bykemike 02-06-21 08:59 AM

My Domane Disc with Di2 shifting and 32 tires is like riding a multi surface starship compared to most road bikes I have owned. It takes a while to get used to the Di shifting but now I don't even notice it. I ride a lot and have had to charge the system maybe four times this year and it, even at that, has never indicated it needed charging, it just seemed to me it was time. The brakes always stop well, wet or dry and the suspension seatpost keeps the ride pretty comfortable.

No regrets here!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8784425712.jpg

Tomm Willians 02-06-21 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 05 fuji (Post 21911079)
Life is short
Buy the bike

There it is !

Speedway2 02-06-21 11:35 AM

jleeq......sounds like you're still happy riding the Merlin and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.
Buy a bike that's setup to meet your Winter/Foul weather riding needs and keep the Merlin for everything else....

decotriumph 02-06-21 06:33 PM

I'm 70 and I picked up one of these today - 2021 Kona Lava Dome - from Trailhead Bicycles in Huntsville, AL.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f357d32380.jpg

It was the last XL of anything they had in stock. If I'd been 20 minutes later, I would have left empty-handed (or technically, empty-racked) because another customer came in looking for one. I called three dealers yesterday looking for a sub-$1500 XL MTB before I located this one. One of the dealers I called also called his company's two other locations. Nothing, and both Trek and Specialized dealers are saying some models are back-ordered to May of 2022!

Anyway, I had a couple of MTBs in the past but sold the last one because I thought I was getting too old/wimpy/whatever to ride a MTB. Turns out I had a heart issue. That has been repaired and I'm feeling good, so here I go again! The Lava Dome will give me a good platform to upgrade on if I decide to do so. I love riding and I plan to do it as long as I'm able, which looks to be quite a few years more. I'm not extravagant but I will ride what I want (within reason). My regular riders are now this Kona and a 2016 Trek FX. Both are low to mid-spec and suit my abilities fine.

I said all that to say this: get what you want. At 70 years of age, you've earned it.

JanMM 02-06-21 09:09 PM

I got a new bike a few months ago when I was still 70! Rode it today in the upper 20's, a day after I got my 2nd covid-19 vaccination. A sore arm? No problem!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...83d880b2_z.jpg

5 mph 02-06-21 11:01 PM

Don't forget. The actor Tony Randall , Felix from The Odd Couple, got married and had a child when he was in his 80's.

70sSanO 02-07-21 12:56 PM

I’m 69 and I’m still riding older bikes, including mtb’s. Here is my take, when the time comes to upgrade to a better bike, you’ll know when it’s time.

When you say you could clearly continue to ride your loving companion, whether lifeless or not, you forgot about the complaining while you ride. When you get to the point of posting about it, that time to move on is there.

My only advice is to research, try out a few production bikes to get an idea of modern, set your sights on what you want, and just do it...

... and have fun in the process.

John

downhillmaster 02-07-21 09:49 PM

Do you debate just about everything else you buy because of your age?
Don’t do it man.
If you want it and can reasonably afford it, run out and buy it tomorrow :thumb:

eisnic 02-08-21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rut3556 (Post 21911098)
Heck, I'm about to turn 79 next week and just bought a new bike, albeit a Giant Escape 2 Disc. My pristine Lemond Zurich is about to go on the market though, as I need something a little easier to ride at my age. :-)

What size is the Zurich?

rut3556 02-08-21 01:26 PM

55 cm

Ogsarg 02-08-21 03:55 PM

It sounds like you like your current bike but think you may be missing something by not being able to run wider tires, electronic shifting, and discs. In my opinion, these are things that definitely justify a new bike purchase but others disagree.

I would recommend going to a shop and see if you can test ride a few bikes setup with electronic shifting and discs and see what you think. If you find it a revelation and spending the dough is not going to hurt your financial security, pull the trigger. Don't let your age stop you.

biketom5 02-08-21 04:03 PM

I would go for the new bike if I were you. You won't be sorry. The new ride will be exceptional with at least 25mm tires and disc brakes too.

I am 66 and upgraded to a new carbon Trek Madone Series 6 back in 2014. I was mostly riding my Merlin Extralite when I went to the carbon. It was quite a change. The carbon is smooth over bumps even though it's a stiffer frame. Being lighter it also accelerates with ease.

I just upgraded the wheelset to Zipp 303's and can't wait to ride it...I am in northwest Indiana and it's snowing as I write this, so I won't be outdoors anytime soon.
Good luck with your new purchase, if you elect to do so.
Ride On!

Chad991 02-08-21 06:39 PM

Go for it!!!!! Never know what tomorrow will bring, be happy, you earned it....and by the way, seeing posts like this get some of us younger guys back on the bike quicker, thanks for the motivation

SlowJoeCrow 02-08-21 06:57 PM

If it makes you happy and keeps you riding longer a new bike is worth it. Wider tires and more relaxed geometry will improve comfort

Johnk3 02-08-21 07:11 PM

When I was about to turn 70, I decided to get a custom Cinelli Supercorsa. That process ended up being a nightmare. As a result, I ordered a custom Cicli Barco using Columbus XCr stainless steel tubing and Campy's 12 speed Super Record group set. It was an easy and seamless transaction due to the wonderful Barco family. They do exceptional work in a reasonable amount of time for very reasonable prices. They also got me great prices on the Campy group set as well as some very nice carbon stuff by WR Compositi who makes carbon parts for Ferrari and Lamborghini, and is not available in the US. You can reward yourself by getting exactly what you want without any compromises. Don't bother with those nasty looking disc brakes when you can get really nice direct mount rim brakes that never get out of whack. This bike weighs 18.67 lbs. for a 58.5 cm frame. I could have cut off more weight with some lightweight carbon wheels, but I'm about 215 Lbs. and ride some rough roads and I hate how noisy carbon wheels are. The tires are Vittoria Corsa Control 25mm mounted on HED Belgium Plus rims and White Industries T11 hubs.. The clearance for tires is about 28mm with the Campy direct mount brakes.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25732f9eb2.jpg
Custom Cicli Barco in Stainless XCr with Campy 12 sp. SR group set and carbon by WR Compositi.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8304ee8a.jpeg
Dark Nickel head badge
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe8a4b6d72.jpg
Stainless steel fork with carbon fiber steering tube and direct mount brakes.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18a522bdd3.jpg
Custom nameplate.

bgross 02-08-21 08:29 PM

We’re all going to die. Some sooner, some later - and most of us sooner than we imagine.

IF the new bike is what you really want, and the price won’t put you out in the street or cause you to miss meals... do it.
Naturally the issue of domestic tranquility might be an issue, so there’s that.

Life is short. Fitness might improve both the quality or quantity of yours.

Or you might get hit by a truck.

bfaIllini 02-08-21 09:34 PM

69 1/2 yrs old. Bought a 2020 Specialized Roubaix when moved to Boulder 2 yrs ago and realized I needed hydraulic disc brakes for all the hill/mountain descents. Went over the handlebars at 35 mph last August when apparently had a front tire blowout. Fortunately, don't remember anything before waking up in ICU with a shattered T5 vertebra and a C1-C2 odontoid fracture. Shouldn't have lived. Certainly shouldn't be walking.
While in rehab hospital one week later, filed my insurance and started my rebuild, buying another Roubaix frame
Today, 8 weeks after necessary C1-C2 fusion surgery, did my first indoor ride on my new bike since accident. Lasted 10 minutes.
Best thing I ever did was buy my comfortable Roubaix at 67
2nd best? Rebuilding it at 69
Will be climbing Boulder mountains again soon.

Life is short-and unpredictable.
Buy the bike :-)

downtube42 02-08-21 09:47 PM

I used to be friends with a Bulgarian couple. There was a phrase in the old country you'd use when talking about an old guy, roughly translated to "last pair of shoes guy", meaning a guy who's wearing the last pair of shoes he's ever going to buy. They moved to another state and we've lost touch, but that phrase sticks with me.

Are you ready to be "last bike guy"?

Buy the bike.

Outback Cayucan 02-08-21 10:40 PM

Do it! Six years ago in May was my first ride on my Carl Strong Custom Blend steel road bike (Di2 Ultegra). After years of fantasizing and research I remain entirely pleased and expect you will be. I’m 75.

Thomas15 02-09-21 08:30 AM

OP is about 70 years old
-Rides 150 miles per week
-Pulls 14% road grades
-want's to buy a new bicycle
-can afford to buy a new bicycle

I really cannot see any reason not to get one! I'm younger, 62 and ride a 15 year old Cannondale Synapse 3x9. If I have in 2021 and 2022 a year anywhere near my 2020 year, that is 6300 mile, I'm reasonably certain that this hobby is not going away and will start planning a new purchase.