Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Low Speed Stability (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1277968)

George Mann 03-29-24 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 23199472)
I know the bike well, we sold a couple back in the day, it is a cheaper bike.

But cheaper doesn't mean cheap. I haven't found a single under $2k ebike that compares with its overall quality, and the majority of the under $1k conventional bikes are inferior as well.

My old '76 Raleigh Sports was of superior quality, and weighed 45lbs. I don't remember the riding dynamics of it to be too noticeably different, and I was much younger and heathier at the time.

A Raleigh Superbe weighed 52lbs!

veganbikes 03-29-24 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by George Mann (Post 23199479)
But cheaper doesn't mean cheap. I haven't found a single under $2k ebike that compares with its overall quality, and the majority of the under $1k conventional bikes are inferior as well.

My old '76 Raleigh Sports was of superior quality, and weighed 45lbs. I don't remember the riding dynamics of it to be too noticeably different, and I was much younger and heathier at the time.

A Raleigh Superbe weighed 52lbs!

I mean the Retroglide IE wasn't a particularly exceptional bike, Raleigh is on the way out these days and has been for a while. It is sad but it is unfortunately the truth. There are plenty of similar bikes to it on the market at that 2k mark. This would be one that while not a great bike has a great motor and punches pretty high for the price it is the Ride1 Up Prodigy which in this iteration has a Brose mid-drive.

I am not a vintage Raleigh expert by any means but if memory serves the Sports and Superbe were more on the entry level of things, granted back then that meant a lot more than it does now and they were good quality bikes but not designed for lightweight anything.

grumpus 04-04-24 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Schweinhund (Post 22959444)
A bike has two gyroscopes. the lighter those gyrocopes, the quicker they spin up. the more mass, the greater gyro effect.
So a 16/20" bike like a folding bike has a greater stability at a slower actual speed.
A cruiser doesn't have that going for it, so you're pretty much limited to larger lighter wheels and a smaller front chainring or very small wheels and normal gearing to increase the reciprocating gyroscopic effect. (cranks/wheels turning)

​​​​​​ITYF that gyroscopic effect has been shown to have minimal influence on the stability of a bike, such that you might notice it when riding no-hands, but not otherwise, certainly not when starting from stationary. Motorcycle wheels do exhibit gyroscopic behaviour, but they are more massive and spinning faster.