Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cyclists behaving badly thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=772846)

Digital_Cowboy 10-06-11 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 13329152)
Based on what I encountered the other day at the local warehouse supermarket; far too many people pushing their "trolleys" into bad locations and blocking aisles, it comes as no surprise that to me that the majority of these folks are motorists. There was little in the way of orderly thinking being exhibited in that market.

As a cyclist I found that the easiest solution was to park my "trolley" well away from goods and displays and take advantage of my narrow profile to zip about and secure the items I needed. :D

Genec,

Have you noticed that a lot of them "drive" their "trolley" the same way that they drive their car?

CaptCarrot 10-07-11 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by CaptCarrot (Post 13328767)
Well I always say you can tell a lot about people's driving/riding ability by the way they push a supermarket trolley. ...

Based on what I encountered the other day at the local warehouse supermarket; far too many people pushing their "trolleys" into bad locations and blocking aisles, it comes as no surprise that to me that the majority of these folks are motorists. There was little in the way of orderly thinking being exhibited in that market.

As a cyclist I found that the easiest solution was to park my "trolley" well away from goods and displays and take advantage of my narrow profile to zip about and secure the items I needed. :D

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 13330737)
Genec,

Have you noticed that a lot of them "drive" their "trolley" the same way that they drive their car?

Thata what I said above, and what Genec was commenting on.

chipcom 10-07-11 05:25 AM

I used to play submarine with shopping carts...I'd grab the side of a cart and peddle my ass off towards my intended target (usually a gaggle of other shopping carts...or the store weenie who was hollering at me to stop) then let go of the cart to let its momentum take it (hopefully) into the target. Did the same thing in a car when we were kids too. Does that make me a submarine driver...or just a dick? :D

2wheelcommute 10-07-11 12:35 PM

Maybe it is a cyclist thing--this is exactly my strategy!

genec 10-07-11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 13330737)
Genec,

Well without stripes, and traffic controls and the like... yes, a lot of shoppers act like motorists faced with the same situation... as if there are no rules unless mandated by the construction of the environment.

Of course when they get to checkout counters, with narrow passages and even some clerk "traffic control," they then become orderly.

SBRDude 10-07-11 01:59 PM

I was hoping "cyclists behaving badly" was going to be more like "girls gone wild..."

Daves_Not_Here 10-07-11 07:28 PM

I'm thinking about adding another category of cyclist misbehavior: consistently finding fault with how others drive their cars, bikes or grocery carts :lol:

By the way, while we're on the grocery shoppers behaving badly meme, I don't know if anyone here has ever shopped at Whole Foods or Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, but they are famous for how much drama their customers consistently provoke with each other. All these supposedly healthy, environmentally friendly, enlightened people angered by the simple act of buying food -- I wonder if they are cyclists.

Just kidding!! It's a joke!

SBRDude 10-07-11 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here (Post 13334656)
I'm thinking about adding another category of cyclist misbehavior: consistently finding fault with how others drive their cars, bikes or grocery carts :lol:

No kidding!!

Let's have a contest to name a new subforum in A&S. :)

I-Like-To-Bike 10-07-11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SBRDude (Post 13333518)
I was hoping "cyclists behaving badly" was going to be more like "girls gone wild..."

What it is, is a gaggle of silly geese whining about all those meanies who aren't as perfect as themselves. This tired theme of of complaining about cyclists who don't meet the holy roller standards of the holier than thou crowd is real old and all worn out. Give it a rest, jokers.

chipcom 10-07-11 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 13334777)
What it is, is a gaggle of silly geese whining about all those meanies who aren't as perfect as themselves. This tired theme of of complaining about cyclists who don't meet the holy roller standards of the holier than thou crowd is real old and all worn out. Give it a rest, jokers.

I don't think you have the proper school spirit, ILTB! See if I vote for YOU for student council!

vol 10-07-11 08:31 PM

I mentioned in an earlier thread about the cyclists spitting from the bike. Got many replies apparently from people who spit. I'd rather be hit by a bike than have someone's spit blown on my face.

CaptCarrot 10-08-11 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by vol (Post 13334857)
I mentioned in an earlier thread about the cyclists spitting from the bike. Got many replies apparently from people who spit. I'd rather be hit by a bike than have someone's spit blown on my face.

Well I don't normally spit, period. But I have a stinking cold right now and refuse to swallow the gunge. That I will normally stop and drop. If that is impossible and I have to eject spittle while riding, I always make sure no-one is going to get covered. And I fully agree that I too would rather be hit by a bike.

DX-MAN 10-08-11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by donger (Post 13319511)
Perhaps I can offer a perspective from a cyclist/cop view. First, a little bit about me. I'm a cop in Northern CA. I took up cycling almost a year ago. I've logged 3000 miles this year, ridden 1 century, several metric centuries, and several half-centuries. I love cycling and I've also lost 35 lbs.
I know that motorist can be jackasses and ignorant when it comes to cyclists. I also believe that some cyclists are also jackasses and ignorant. It's like how some of the public view cops...you don't remember the positive contacts but the negative contacts will be forever ingrained in your mind. It's the same with cyclists.
As a motorist, I've come across riders on a one lane mountain road, 3 riders across, effectively blocking the lane and making passing the cyclists unsafe. I've encountered a single rider on the same road, riding in the center of the roadway with the bike helmet strapped onto the handle bars. Today, while working, I had a cyclist in a busy intersection who was stopped in the left turn with no cars in the lane. The light didn't change for the cyclist and, as I drove by in my police car, he looked at me, raised both arms and yelled at me (as if I could do anything about the light).
Here's some information that might help everyone here. If you encounter a signal light that won't change for bicycles, don't yell at the cops. Call Traffic Engineering and tell them. I guarantee that a normal citizen complaining will hold more weight that if a cop calls them up and tells them.
About cars making right turns at an intersection where there is a bike lane. The CA Vehicle Code (CVC) requires drivers to make a right turn as close as practical to the right curb or edge of the roadway [22100(a) CVC]. Also, the driver can be in the bike lane to make a right turn 200 feet from the intersection, even if the dotted lines aren't 200 feet long [22109(a)(3) CVC].
Now, about riders riding side-by-side. 21202(a) CVC says for cyclists going slower than the normal flow of traffic is required to ride as near to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway AS PRACTICAL EXCEPT WHEN: (1) overtaking or passing a cyclist, pedestrian, or slower vehicle, (2) preparing to make a left turn at an intersection, private road or driveway, (3) REASONABLY necessary to avoid hazardous conditions or debris.
21208(a) CVC requires cyclists to use the bike lane when traveling below the normal speed of traffic. The same exceptions listed above also apply here.

I hope this bit of information helps and it is not my intention to offend or upset any riders here. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

Not offended, donger; welcome aboard, btw. I wish there were 100,000 more in uniform like you.

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 13319657)
I'm guessing it says practicable, no? There is a significant difference between practicable and practical. The average LEO is not qualified to determine either practicality or what is practicable for an experienced cyclist in my book. Does motorist convenience trump safety in your view?

Please enlighten me as to the significant difference...........

Daves_Not_Here 10-11-11 06:27 PM

Newport Beach will no longer permit MS150 ride due to previous cyclist behavior

With less than two weeks until the event, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is having to re-route the upcoming MS150 Bay to Bay fund-raising ride to avoid Newport Beach due to objections over cyclists' behavior in the previous year's event. Apparently the issues related to cyclists' failure to ride within the boundaries that had been defined for the event.

I rode in the event last year and recall that certain sections of the route were pretty strictly laid out to separate the event's cycling traffic. The event coordinators were fairly explicit in their instructions to stay within posted boundaries and to ride single file in certain areas. Most everyone I encountered was pretty cool, but I do recall that some of the riders were dismissive of the ride marshalls' instructions to adhere to the rules. Didn't really think much more about it until now.

Stealthammer 10-11-11 07:02 PM

Had one today. Driver of an SUV loaded with a half dozen kids passes me 50 feet before a side street and then she turns on her turn signal and begins to turn right right in front of me!. Unwilling to allow this though, I was only 10 feet behind her and going straight as she attempted to make her turn. When she realized that she was about to cut me off or run me over she stopped, blocking the bike lane and the traffic lane. The car behind her squelled to a stop just short of rear ending her as I swung right to pass her in the intersection and I gave her the finger as I passed. I could hear a half dozen kids in the car laughing as I rode off, and then when the car that was behind her passed me 100 feet down the road the driver held a thumbs up out the window.

Cyclist 1 Soccer Mom 0 :-O

dynodonn 10-11-11 09:47 PM

I watched a nonchalant salmon rider this morning totally disrupt the flow of traffic by making motorists either come to a complete stop or swing wide into my lane. It was definitely amazing to watch.

niccig 10-11-11 11:18 PM

I work on a university campus. The highlights:

Riding against traffic on sidewalk
Riding against traffic in bike lane
Riding on marked "no bicycles" paths (many are too narrow to accommodate pedestrians and bikes)
Blowing through red lights/stop signs/crosswalks
Riding bikes INTO and THROUGH the building (I'd think common courtesy is to walk it if you're going to take it in)
Ninja cycling
Texting/talking on phone while biking

As a side note - a few of the sidewalks on our campus are too narrow to contain pedestrian traffic during class change times, so people walk in the bike lane. How annoying is that? I know this thread is cyclists behaving badly, not pedestrians behaving badly, but just wanted to vent :) Peds in a 4-block radius from my office cause me more grief than all the cars on my 8-mile commute combined.

Digital_Cowboy 10-12-11 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here (Post 13351240)
With less than two weeks until the event, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is having to re-route the upcoming MS150 Bay to Bay fund-raising ride to avoid Newport Beach due to objections over cyclists' behavior in the previous year's event. Apparently the issues related to cyclists' failure to ride within the boundaries that had been defined for the event.

I rode in the event last year and recall that certain sections of the route were pretty strictly laid out to separate the event's cycling traffic. The event coordinators were fairly explicit in their instructions to stay within posted boundaries and to ride single file in certain areas. Most everyone I encountered was pretty cool, but I do recall that some of the riders were dismissive of the ride marshalls' instructions to adhere to the rules. Didn't really think much more about it until now.

Some people think that their actions don't have consequences. Or that the rules don't apply to them. When will they learn that their actions can and do impact the lives of others? Now because of a small group of riders not following the rules a fund raising event has to re-route itself.

Digital_Cowboy 10-12-11 01:09 AM

How's this?

Today as I'm heading out for my usual ride, I encounter a woman who is salmoning down the sidewalk, talking on her cell phone AND carrying her young child on the handlebars of her bike.

vaara 10-14-11 05:08 PM

Here in SF, there are a few traffic lights that are red both ways for a few seconds each cycle, to give cars in the intersection a chance to clear it before cross-traffic takes off. On a few occasions I have seen light-running cyclists almost T-bone each other, which gives my schadenfreude a nice workout.

dynodonn 10-14-11 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 13352730)
How's this?

Today as I'm heading out for my usual ride, I encounter a woman who is salmoning down the sidewalk, talking on her cell phone AND carrying her young child on the handlebars of her bike.

I'll see your salmoning mom and child, and rise you with a young woman riding in traffic without a helmet, large shopping bag strapped to the handle bars, no mirror, listening to music with both ears covered by head phones, and drinking coffee/chocolate from a large coffee cup. ;)

CB HI 10-14-11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dynodonn (Post 13366801)
I'll see your salmoning mom and child, and rise you with a young woman riding in traffic without a helmet, large shopping bag strapped to the handle bars, no mirror, listening to music with both ears covered by head phones, and drinking coffee/chocolate from a large coffee cup. ;)

Your just jealous that you do not have the mad cycling skills that she has.:p

dynodonn 10-14-11 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 13366999)
Your just jealous that you do not have the mad cycling skills that she has.:p

:lol:

Digital_Cowboy 10-14-11 09:59 PM

The one(s) that I really "LOVE" to watch are the one's who are texting and swerving all over the place.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-15-11 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 13367143)
The one(s) that I really "LOVE" to watch are the one's who are texting and swerving all over the place.

I'll raise you a smug Serious Cyclist™ posting on BF about all the untermenchen cyclists who don't meet a self styled Cycling Stud's Standards.