Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXIX (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1209045)

big john 10-01-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722728)
Definitely not my cup of tea, in fact the missus and I are considering moving further north for even more winter. I love winter, yet I can't even ski worth a damn.

I can see myself spending time around the eagles at Onondaga lake.

I learned to cross country ski a little when I lived up high. I never tried skiing before that. My ex and I also loved snowshoeing. We would pack a lunch and take a camera and hike in the forest. I might have some pictures somewhere if she didn't take them all.

We would sometimes see condors. We lived on the edge of the condor preserve and they would come into people's yards.

big john 10-01-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722735)
LOVE those drums . . . . I gotta play that again. :thumb:

Ever see the movie "Drumline"?

big john 10-01-20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21722801)
Got a little dusty this morning

Are you happy with the way it turned out? Oval chainring? Watch out for that Cholla.

datlas 10-01-20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722770)
:eek: What!? I had 5 wks/yr the last 8 or so years of my career. Your job is way more stressful.

Plus at the time we had a very liberal sick leave and FMLA plan, which many people took advantage of. Not me, of course.

I should not complain too much, I do take every Weds off to ride. If I did not have my Wednesdays I would be psychotic. I justify that I am taking one vacation day/week to rationalize minimal chunks of vacation time.

abshipp 10-01-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21722498)
Oh. Have you ever been in the area before? You're kind of a nature person, aren't you? If time allows, I'd think about driving north from Greenville on 276 (or similar route) and catch a stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I haven't checked but there may be colored leaves on the tops of the mountains now. Weather looks pretty good, for the season of death.

Nope, never been there. Flew over enroute to Charleston a couple of years ago, but that's the closest I've been. I'll look into that route, thanks :thumb:

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21722836)
I currently live in Greenville and really like it here. Lots of good restaurants with a lot of outdoor seating. Friendly people and really nice downtown. There is a housing boom going on so be prepared for a little sticker shock.

Awesome, glad to hear a good impression. Thanks for chiming in :thumb:

We wouldn't be buying initially, thankfully rental prices still look reasonable.

TassR700 10-01-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21722875)
Nope, never been there. Flew over enroute to Charleston a couple of years ago, but that's the closest I've been. I'll look into that route, thanks :thumb:

Awesome, glad to hear a good impression. Thanks for chiming in :thumb:

We wouldn't be buying initially, thankfully rental prices still look reasonable.

Rental prices are all over the place depending on location. PM me if you want any specific info. We are currently in a rental while we build.

big john 10-01-20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21722836)
There is a housing boom going on so be prepared for a little sticker shock.

This house would cost at least $600k here in a crappy neighborhood.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-25444?view=qv

TassR700 10-01-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21722891)

Understood, sticker shock is relative. From California, you would love the prices, from the upper midwest, not so much.

abshipp 10-01-20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21722880)
Rental prices are all over the place depending on location. PM me if you want any specific info. We are currently in a rental while we build.

Thank you kindly for the offer. I'm sure I'll have some questions after this weekend :thumb:

gnome 10-01-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21722225)
Try to keep up.

I am. In fact I'm ahead. 17 hours ahead of you. It's a fine but cool Friday morning now.

WhyFi 10-01-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21722898)
Understood, sticker shock is relative. From California, you would love the prices, from the upper midwest, not so much.

Looks good from this part of the upper midwest - we'll take two. :p

TassR700 10-01-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21722935)
Looks good from this part of the upper midwest - we'll take two. :p

Location, Location, Location. The listing John posted may not be in an area you really want to live in. The same listing actually close to downtown would be $4-500K. Out in the county is very affordable. If you want to be close to shopping and other amenities, it gets pricier. Would be great if you want country living.

MoAlpha 10-01-20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722770)
:eek: What!? I had 5 wks/yr the last 8 or so years of my career. Your job is way more stressful.

Plus at the time we had a very liberal sick leave and FMLA plan, which many people took advantage of. Not me, of course.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21722863)
I should not complain too much, I do take every Weds off to ride. If I did not have my Wednesdays I would be psychotic. I justify that I am taking one vacation day/week to rationalize minimal chunks of vacation time.

I get 8 hrs per pay period, i.e., 26 days a year. When I was in uniform, it was 30 days including any inside weekends. Fortunately, it's assumed I work nights and weekends, so informal time off is expected, but it's still not really enough for a man with a bike and a boat who's nearing the end of his days. :50:

LAJ 10-01-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TassR700 (Post 21722952)
Location, Location, Location. The listing John posted may not be in an area you really want to live in. The same listing actually close to downtown would be $4-500K. Out in the county is very affordable. If you want to be close to shopping and other amenities, it gets pricier. Would be great if you want country living.

As things keep going, out in the country isn't half bad. That place looks like it'll handle a moat pretty well. Greenville Pickens Speedway being close would also be a plus.

datlas 10-01-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21722979)
I get 8 hrs per pay period, i.e., 26 days a year. When I was in uniform, it was 30 days including any inside weekends. Fortunately, it's assumed I work nights and weekends, so informal time off is expected, but it's still not really enough for a man with a bike and a boat who's nearing the end of his days. :50:

You mean the end is near?? Or just impending retirement?

datlas 10-01-20 01:51 PM

Real estate prices are crazy. My cyclist friend bought what sounds like a very nice but modest home in Menlo Park CA (near Stanford) about 35 years ago at a very low price, and he tells me the property is now worth several million dollars. The same property in my area would go for 400K and in the boonies like 150K.

The "Location, Location, Location" mantra is true.

MoAlpha 10-01-20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21723024)
You mean the end is near?? Or just impending retirement?

The end, if perhaps not "near," is close enough to enter into my decision making.

genejockey 10-01-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21722891)

Postwar ranch houses on 1/4 acre lots in my neighborhood have been going for $1.5 Million. And that's a nice, but not REALLY nice suburb.

genejockey 10-01-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21723032)
Real estate prices are crazy. My cyclist friend bought what sounds like a very nice but modest home in Menlo Park CA (near Stanford) about 35 years ago at a very low price, and he tells me the property is now worth several million dollars. The same property in my area would go for 400K and in the boonies like 150K.

The "Location, Location, Location" mantra is true.

He's not exaggerating. It's my retirement plan.

rjones28 10-01-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722728)
Definitely not my cup of tea, in fact the missus and I are considering moving further north for even more winter. I love winter, yet I can't even ski worth a damn.

I can see myself spending time around the eagles at Onondaga lake.

Bonus, there's a nice MUP around that lake. ;)

rjones28 10-01-20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21722797)
wut :foo:

meh

​​​​​​​Still several weeks away from activating the heater.

rjones28 10-01-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21723110)
Still several weeks away from activating the heater.

Roughly coincides with the first snowfall.

BillyD 10-01-20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21722848)
Ever see the movie "Drumline"?

Yep, loved it, wish they made more.

datlas 10-01-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21723036)
The end, if perhaps not "near," is close enough to enter into my decision making.

I imagine you have an actuarial life expectancy of 25 more years, more or less.

Not near.

BillyD 10-01-20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21723102)
Bonus, there's a nice MUP around that lake. ;)

Awesome.