Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   GP5000s tubeless (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1159883)

noodle soup 02-10-19 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 6thElement (Post 20787762)
Enve list lower pressures for their starting points for road tubeless.

3/4's down this page:

He's not using Enve wheels

WhyFi 02-10-19 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 20787746)
Every 6 weeks? I've been doing it every 3 months. How much do you fill?

I *check* every six weeks.

In my 30mm tires, I keep around 1.5oz. Often when I check, I don't have to put anything in, but the point is to check before you run out. When I run low, it's often due to multiple unnoticed punctures, as opposed to the sealant drying up. I've probably gone 6 months without adding/replacing sealant on the front tire, where punctures are infrequent, yet I've had rear tires go bone dry at 8 weeks.

The bottom line for me is that I want to out-pace my worst-case puncture frequency. To do that only takes a matter of a couple minutes (my bikes hang with the tires spinning freely, so the valves come to rest at the bottom; letting out the air, removing the core and checking with a dipstick is trivial at that point), so that's what I do.

deepakvrao 02-10-19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20787873)
I *check* every six weeks.

In my 30mm tires, I keep around 1.5oz. Often when I check, I don't have to put anything in, but the point is to check before you run out. When I run low, it's often due to multiple unnoticed punctures, as opposed to the sealant drying up. I've probably gone 6 months without adding/replacing sealant on the front tire, where punctures are infrequent, yet I've had rear tires go bone dry at 8 weeks.

The bottom line for me is that I want to out-pace my worst-case puncture frequency. To do that only takes a matter of a couple minutes (my bikes hang with the tires spinning freely, so the valves come to rest at the bottom; letting out the air, removing the core and checking with a dipstick is trivial at that point), so that's what I do.

What do you use as a dipstick. Can you really judge the amount? Mystery issue is that sometimes when you let out the air the tyre gets de seated and that's a pain.

WhyFi 02-10-19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 20787889)
What do you use as a dipstick. Can you really judge the amount? Mystery issue is that sometimes when you let out the air the tyre gets de seated and that's a pain.

Orange Seal bottles (8oz, I think?) come with a dipstick. If I were to lose that, I would probably cut the tip off of a medium-sized zip-tie and us that (the sealant should catch in the teeth and make it pretty obvious). To judge the level on the dipstick, I just check/reference after initially injecting my desired amount in to a given tire.

I've only had tires come unseated up deflation once, and that was just on the beater wheelset. Usually, I have the opposite issue - it takes a little effort to get the tires unseated.

deepakvrao 02-10-19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20787909)
Orange Seal bottles (8oz, I think?) come with a dipstick. If I were to lose that, I would probably cut the tip off of a medium-sized zip-tie and us that (the sealant should catch in the teeth and make it pretty obvious). To judge the level on the dipstick, I just check/reference after initially injecting my desired amount in to a given tire.

I've only had tires come unseated up deflation once, and that was just on the beater wheelset. Usually, I have the opposite issue - it takes a little effort to get the tires unseated.

What's your experience with orange seal vs stans? My 25 mm schwalbe gets unseated while my 32 mm tyres on my gravel bike never get de seated

WhyFi 02-10-19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 20788664)
What's your experience with orange seal vs stans?

No experience with Stan's. Most of the negative experiences that I've seen online with road tubeless seems to be from people using Stan's; it just doesn't seem to handle the higher pressures well.

My experience with OS has been very good. I generally run larger tires are lower pressure these days (relative to the road bike norms, I'm talking 30mm, @ ~65/70psi), but even when I ran smaller tires at ~100psi, it still sealed well. The only times it hasn't sealed were when a) it was a cut large enough to require a boot or b) when I wasn't diligent enough about checking my fluid levels and it had been used up. In short, there's no reason for me to try anything else at this point in time.

deepakvrao 02-10-19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20788707)
No experience with Stan's. Most of the negative experiences that I've seen online with road tubeless seems to be from people using Stan's; it just doesn't seem to handle the higher pressures well.

My experience with OS has been very good. I generally run larger tires are lower pressure these days (relative to the road bike norms, I'm talking 30mm, @ ~65/70psi), but even when I ran smaller tires at ~100psi, it still sealed well. The only times it hasn't sealed were when a) it was a cut large enough to require a boot or b) when I wasn't diligent enough about checking my fluid levels and it had been used up. In short, there's no reason for me to try anything else at this point in time.

Thanks.

Just checked 3 bikes with 25 mm schwalbe pros. When I hang them from the workstand they don't de seat Thanks for that tip.

Not found a dipstick which seems to work. Zip tie didn't . Maybe I'll get the OS ones.

Had bought a large can of OS six months ago. Opened the seal today and found that at least some had coagulated inside. This is OS endurance. Do you suggest the endurance or regular ?

WhyFi 02-10-19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 20788739)
This is OS endurance. Do you suggest the endurance or regular ?

Regular. I've never tried the Endurance.

caplja 02-21-19 02:12 PM

Hi guys, I'm looking forward to change on tubeless and since I'm riding DT Swaiss R24 Spline db wheelset which are tubeless compatible I'm curios which size to choose. At DT Swiss size chart recommended tyre width for18mm internal rim width is 25 or 28mm tyre. But, I was riding without problem 32mm CX tyre. Of course it is not same as grand prix 5000 tubeless and since the main cause it so ride them for randonneuring (Paris-Brest-Paris) I would appreciate your advice which to choose, 700x28C or 700x32C?

Bmach 04-10-19 11:05 AM

I just installed a set on my Kinlin xc279s. One tire went on with a lever the othe went on by hand. They both aired up with my floor pump first try. I measured them and they are 25.1 inflated to 85psi. Hope to ride tomorrow, I will edit to report how they ride.

i am running 10 psi less than my tubes the ride was smoother. From install until I rode them was 5 days and they did not loose any air. I hope that keeps up.