Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Age is Not a Problem (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175765)

KraneXL 06-15-19 05:05 PM

Age is Not a Problem

350htrr 06-15-19 07:07 PM

Good for you... :popcorn Or at least/Better yet, get old enough to not be able to do the things you want to do … In other words , yes, there IS such a thing as, where age IS a "problem"... "Becomes a problem". :rolleyes:

OldTryGuy 06-15-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 350htrr (Post 20980738)
......... yes, there is such a thing as, where age is a "problem"... "becomes a problem". :rolleyes:

exactly !!!!

canklecat 06-16-19 01:42 AM

Ugh, I really dislike that condescending "Ain't spunky old people cute?" BS as much as I dislike the delusional "Age is just an illusion" BS spouted by "accidental icon" Lyn Slater on those GoDaddy ads. There's nothing accidental about deliberately manufacturing iconhood in cooperation with a media corporation.

And age is not an illusion. After being caregiver for three consecutive older family members until each died, and now suddenly confronting the consequences of neglecting my own health until I was 60, it's pretty danged clear that aging is an inescapable reality. We can cope with it as best we can and make the most of what we have, but it's delusional to pretend it isn't happening.

I'm in the best shape I've been in since 2001 when I was injured in a car wreck, then developed several health complications. While I'm grateful for being fortunate enough to regain some fitness, I'm also acutely aware of the time I lost during a long recuperation. And the window of opportunity to maximize my fitness will soon shut. I can probably continue to improve, get a little faster and stronger on the bike, for maybe another five years. After that, even without any additional injuries or illnesses, age will impose inevitable limitations. I can work out as much as possible but I'll get slower and weaker, barring indulging in controversial age defying regimes involving anabolic steroids, HGH, EPO, etc. And if I could afford, damn right I'd do it.

OldTryGuy 06-16-19 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 20980992)
Ugh, I really dislike that condescending "Ain't spunky old people cute?" BS as much as I dislike the delusional "Age is just an illusion" BS spouted by "accidental icon" Lyn Slater on those GoDaddy ads. There's nothing accidental about deliberately manufacturing iconhood in cooperation with a media corporation.

And age is not an illusion. After being caregiver for three consecutive older family members until each died, and now suddenly confronting the consequences of neglecting my own health until I was 60, it's pretty danged clear that aging is an inescapable reality. We can cope with it as best we can and make the most of what we have, but it's delusional to pretend it isn't happening.

I'm in the best shape I've been in since 2001 when I was injured in a car wreck, then developed several health complications. While I'm grateful for being fortunate enough to regain some fitness, I'm also acutely aware of the time I lost during a long recuperation. And the window of opportunity to maximize my fitness will soon shut. I can probably continue to improve, get a little faster and stronger on the bike, for maybe another five years. After that, even without any additional injuries or illnesses, age will impose inevitable limitations. I can work out as much as possible but I'll get slower and weaker, barring indulging in controversial age defying regimes involving anabolic steroids, HGH, EPO, etc. And if I could afford, damn right I'd do it.

It's all in the genes and how we control the part of our life that we can control.

I improved my lifestyle almost 40 years ago in my late 20's. Didn't stop all of my arthritis resulting in 1 new shoulder with the other holding in there, 2 knees needing replacement along with 1 wrist BUT THE HIPS ARE FINE!!! Excellent diet didn't prevent the heart valve issues arising 30 years ago, or half a thyroid being removed or the anemia or the CANCER or the ........

Long ago I decided to die being as healthy as I can be. QUALITY BEFORE QUANTITY and I firmly believe that the alternative IS BETTER.

horatio 06-16-19 05:24 AM

Since when does 50 y.o. equate to "elderly"? :D

Although my 20-something kids say I'm old. I once thought of 40-something as old. It's all relative, I suppose. Mental age and physical age never match, do they, until advanced age onset, dementia, etc. I'm still a 20-something in my head. Like @canklecat says, use it while you can. That's why I'm getting back into training. I want to have an active and productive retirement.

John E 06-16-19 06:28 AM

"9 Elderly People You Won't Believe Actually Exist"

No, I very much believe they exist, and I know lots of other people of their respective ages with comparable levels of fitness, flexibility, drive, or appearance. We all do what we can with what we have, right? Isn't that what really counts?

BluesDawg 06-16-19 10:40 AM

It's not the age, it's the stuff that happens during all those years.

TimothyH 06-16-19 04:24 PM

The people in that video are not normal.

KraneXL 06-16-19 04:24 PM

My goodness such vitriol. I believe the point of the video was to encourage and inspire for anyone who feels they can't continue to be active (as best we can), and not to use chronological age alone to compel them to just give up trying.

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 20981047)
Since when does 50 y.o. equate to "elderly"? :D

Although my 20-something kids say I'm old. I once thought of 40-something as old. It's all relative, I suppose. Mental age and physical age never match, do they, until advanced age onset, dementia, etc. I'm still a 20-something in my head.

As am I. I sometimes have to "remind" myself that I need to slow down.

Like @canklecat says, use it while you can. That's why I'm getting back into training. I want to have an active and productive retirement.
Finally, somebody got it.

The video isn't implying there's no such thins as ailments associated with aging. Rather, that you can work in spite of them -- as best you can -- and to your benefit.

I learned that the hard way after throwing in the towel and giving up completely on all physical activities due to ailments. After 8 long years of total lethargy, something changed and I went back to the gym again. Shortly after, I bought my bike and began cycling again. What changed was something I promised myself in my youth -- I'd never just give up and do nothing and just wither away.

I remembered how I was encouraged way back then by older people that were still very active. When I gave up on activity, all that did was accelerate my physical decay, and leave me depressed and in a perpetual bad mood. Not the type of person I'd ever want to be.

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20981803)
The people in that video are not normal.

Maybe? On the other hand, maybe our idea of normal need to be reevaluated? If the above are the results, I'm all for a new normal. What about you?

horatio 06-16-19 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20981804)
Maybe? On the other hand, maybe our idea of normal need to be reevaluated? If the above are the results, I'm all for a new normal. What about you?

I must admit I haven't watched the video. Normal is different for each of us.

Biker395 06-16-19 11:21 PM

No vitrol here.

I think we all know how it works. How we age depends on genes, how well we take care of ourselves (the more active the better), and a good dose of luck.

The people in that video aren't all that unusual in my experience. I think people like that are only exceptionally rare because the number of people who have good genes and take care of themselves is exceptionally rare.

Hondo Gravel 06-16-19 11:30 PM

I got carded a few days ago when buying some beer. I win! :lol:

zarbog 06-17-19 06:59 AM

I just turned 69 last week. My 40 year old son still wants me to get a mountain bike to go along with my gravel bike. Maybe a pedal assist in the future.

BobbyG 06-17-19 07:01 AM

"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is."
-Ellen DeGeneres

wphamilton 06-17-19 07:18 AM

I don't think the people in the video are abnormal. Perhaps atypical but not extreme.

My 20 something son thinks that I'm physically like a 20-30 year old, because of physical capabilities. I'm not - it's apples to oranges and at 60 my capabilities are of course degraded. But I think the salient point is that if we do what we can, we can achieve much higher levels than most people would expect.

Biker395 06-17-19 09:54 AM

Hey ... I watched that whole thing, and didn't see any white bikinis. Two opposing thoughts:

1. I can't be too old if I was waiting for the white bikini.
2. I must be getting old if I fell asleep watching it and missed the white bikini.

Joe Bikerider 06-17-19 03:59 PM

I'm older (67) than most of those people in the video. And in the one case I'm glad I don't look like I sucked down so many "supplements" that my skin has shrunk away to nothing. I understand that these people need to make money by showing off, but don't bother to me. And my 67 year old wife looks a lot better that than first "babe". She doesn't need the photo shop to turn me on. Whoo Hoo!

peterws 06-18-19 05:55 AM

The mistake is to think you can't push yourself when you're older. I have arthritis in most joints except knees/hips. Weights and gym machines helped my elbows, piano keeps the fingers going. I cut back on running since it's impact. But on a treadmill, great for a warm up for spinning classes! Fast and short. Fast and short. Gym bike classes? You can't help but push yourself when the music cranks up.
Roadwork? Watch out for pedestrians crossing the road whilst using their cell phones.. They can and will sue you in the UK! I'll be out on the bike this afternoon. Hope not to meet one . . .

Litespud 06-21-19 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 20981403)
It's not the age, it's the stuff that happens during all those years.

Or "It's not the years, it's the mileage"

Last ride 76 06-22-19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 20990075)
Or "It's not the years, it's the mileage"

This. Luck and care are part of it. Vitriol? A sheltered life, perhaps... ;) I kid. Gently.

John E 06-24-19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 20982287)
No vitrol here.

I think we all know how it works. How we age depends on genes, how well we take care of ourselves (the more active the better), and a good dose of luck.

The people in that video aren't all that unusual in my experience. I think people like that are only exceptionally rare because the number of people who have good genes and take care of themselves is exceptionally rare.

... and even rarer because we lose others with good genes and lifestyles to mishaps or illness along the way.

You are absolutely correct. The objective should always be to play the hand you are dealt the best way you can. Much is expected from those to whom much has been given.

eja_ bottecchia 06-24-19 07:05 AM

The only difference that I have noticed as I get older is that recovery takes a bit longer.

I did my first century when I was 30. That night my wife and I went out dancing and we danced well past midnight. :beer:

Now I need to take a nap after riding 100 miles. :p

Otherwise I am probably in better shape than when I was in my 40s.

Lemond1985 06-24-19 07:16 AM

Ditto on all counts (except the dancing with your wife well past midnight part). :D What is this "old age" thing I hear people talking about? It's been far less severe than I was led to believe.

Supposedly, the body's testosterone levels dictate recovery times, and the body produces less as we age (if those 3:00 am infomercials can be believed). I'm thinking if my testosterone levels were restored, I'd be able to ride essentially the same as i did in my 20's and 30's. But I don't want the rest of my hair to fall out, so maybe I will just put up with the longer recovery times.