Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Narrow Rear carrier options (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193302)

Unca_Sam 02-04-20 05:39 PM

Narrow Rear carrier options
 
I've been racking my brain (get it?) about a rack that can fit a bike I am considering using for a commute. It's 5.5 miles one way with a few overpasses, so moderately easy. The outside faces of the dropout and eyelets are 130mm (is a 120mm old 5 speed frame). Upper mount would have to be seatpost clamp or brake bridge, there are no eyelets on the seatstays. I'm going to use a centerpull brake, which could complicate the mounting. Many, many racks are simply too wide and would require some bending to fit, or the use of spacers between the frame and the rack. I'm particularly fond of the Tubus Fly evo rack in silver, but the installation instructions specify 140-170mm lower attachment spacing, and not to exceed those values.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0d3a66e0dc.jpg
Tubus fly Evo in silver

I like the minimalist design and clean lines. I'd prefer to leave the rack on the bike full time, and I already own a pair of Ortlieb panniers that should clip on to any Tubus rack. I also like this unknown rack posted by randyjawa a couple of years ago, though I'm concerned about capacity (estimated about 20lbs of clothes, food, and tools & Lock max).

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 13729320)

There's a rack like this locally, but I'd have to buy the whole bike to get it. That means I could have it essentially for free, if I sell the bike on, but I don't want to go to the trouble if the rack can't support the expected weight.
I've also seen the modified Wald 215 rack posted in the forums, which I liked because of how narrow it ended up, though I'd prefer to avoid chopping up a rack.

Originally Posted by steppinthefunk (Post 10538780)

Pletscher is not favored by some on the forum, and I'm not sure I like the aesthetics of a Blackburn rack. What options are out there for silver racks under $70? Has anyone exceeded the specified spacing for Tubus racks?

madpogue 02-06-20 01:53 PM

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/ , maybe? I have something similar (seat stay / cheerio version) on one of my hybrids, and the way it's set back helps a lot with heel clearance.

Plenty of love for the Pletschers over in the C&V section, and it would be at home on your frame.

Unca_Sam 02-06-20 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21316890)
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/ , maybe? I have something similar (seat stay / cheerio version) on one of my hybrids, and the way it's set back helps a lot with heel clearance.

Plenty of love for the Pletschers over in the C&V section, and it would be at home on your frame.

SHHHH! Every time someone talks about Pletschers, Grand Bois comes around to trash them!

As for the Streamliner Rack, I'm considering it! It only comes in black though, so the consideration includes a chemical strip or a blasting to get the (assumed to be) powdercoat off of the aluminum. I'm estimating anywhere from $50 (sand and paint 'silver') to $85 (blasting) all in to get it where I want it. The only benefit I see to this rack is that the lower attachment spacing was specified as 124mm, which seems narrow, but probably works well with road bike 136-140mm outside spacing. A Pletscher is likely to be the cheapest option, and would probably play the nicest with the brakes. I can't say I'm in love with the 'shelf' on the back though. Randy's rack soothes the tiny OCD voice in my head with it's symmetry to the rear triangle. It's really little things, I should just build the bike and wheels up and ride...

madpogue 02-06-20 07:42 PM

Okay, the silver/chrome spec is new intel, and definitely limits your options (or, as you say, adds a step/expense). As for the 124mm spacing, since the vast majority of bikes that rack is destined for are spaced even wider than yours, I think it's safe to say it's intended to be spread to fit.

Unca_Sam 02-06-20 08:20 PM


Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 21317367)
Okay, the silver/chrome spec is new intel, and definitely limits your options (or, as you say, adds a step/expense). As for the 124mm spacing, since the vast majority of bikes that rack is destined for are spaced even wider than yours, I think it's safe to say it's intended to be spread to fit.

That must have been in a draft of the post that wasn't posted. :o I updated the OP.

I'm happy about the spread to fit. Most of the cheaper racks don't even list the spacing. I noticed a tubus fly evo for $70 something. That's a minimum of 140, which isn't too bad to space out.

Unca_Sam 02-06-20 08:25 PM

madpogue
You'd use this cheap Sunlite Pletscher copy?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...876d1b662d.jpg
Sunlite Pletscher copy.

madpogue 02-06-20 09:17 PM


Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21317405)
madpogue
You'd use this cheap Sunlite Pletscher copy?

Golly, I dunno. I have no intel on the quality, and it's hard to tell much from photos. Around here, the real ones do show up on CL, thrift stores, the swap, whatever, so personally, I'd probably hold out for a "real" one. I bet if you post a WTB here on BF, you'll get a bite.

It all depends on how rare/common the real thing is where you are, and how much of a purist you are. 'Course, an original is likely to be a lot less shiny than that copy. Again, depends on whether that's a priority.

Trueblood 02-07-20 02:10 PM

I have Tortec velocity racks on three of my bikes. You probably won't find a thinner rear rack, Also very light - 391g. I use them on road bikes without eyelets, mounted with P clamps. Despite being very narrow, I have not encountered issues with fender clearance. Silver or black. 55lb capacity. $22. I use the rack just as you have shown above, with one bag, for commuting.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html

https://www.jejamescycles.com/tortec...SABEgJgzfD_BwE

1977 Zebrakenko Wind

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...67e9a341f9.jpg

Unca_Sam 02-07-20 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by Trueblood (Post 21318397)
I have Tortec velocity racks on three of my bikes. You probably won't find a thinner rear rack, Also very light - 391g. I use them on road bikes without eyelets, mounted with P clamps. Despite being very narrow, I have not encountered issues with fender clearance. Silver or black. 55lb capacity. $22. I use the rack just as you describe with one bag for commuting.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html

https://www.jejamescycles.com/tortec...SABEgJgzfD_BwE

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...67e9a341f9.jpg

I was very interested in these racks until i got to the shipping costs to the US. IIRC, I'd be in for $55-60 all included, and everyone that listed these racks were sold out of silver. :(
I have a pair of original Pletscher model C racks on the way for about the same cost. I don't need two, but sometimes these ebay sellers surprise me with accepting my low offers...

Unca_Sam 02-07-20 02:58 PM

I hate to get defeated this way, though it seems like the best option at this moment in time is a vintage rack for a vintage bike. I'm confident that the Pletscher rack will fit without issue, and with the brake brace plate hardware, I should be able to get a solid connection for commuting. Since I'm not buying a tubular frame rack, I'm concerned that my ortlieb shopper panniers and their QL 2.1 connections simply won't be secure with it, and I'll be investing in new waterproof panniers or a trunk bag to haul my junk to and from the office.

madpogue 02-07-20 06:36 PM

^^^^^ Your Ortlieb/Pletscher question might be worth asking over in the C&V section.

rhm 02-08-20 06:43 AM

I think the chopped Wald rack is your best option. I have a black one, which is what I'd recommend because the cuts are easy to touch up with black paint. With a chromed one you'll have to use silver paint and it won't be perfect. Nonetheless I think that's the one to beat. And it's cheap.

Trueblood 02-08-20 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21318483)
I hate to get defeated this way, though it seems like the best option at this moment in time is a vintage rack for a vintage bike. I'm confident that the Pletscher rack will fit without issue, and with the brake brace plate hardware, I should be able to get a solid connection for commuting. Since I'm not buying a tubular frame rack, I'm concerned that my ortlieb shopper panniers and their QL 2.1 connections simply won't be secure with it, and I'll be investing in new waterproof panniers or a trunk bag to haul my junk to and from the office.

Ok, best of luck with the Pletscher. You are right, there appears to be a back order of a few months on the silver Tortec. The shipping cost can also be a problem, however if you end up having to buy new panniers for the Pletscher, that may negate the cost savings. Madpogue is probably correct - I bet someone in C&V will know if the Ortliebs will work on that rack.

Unca_Sam 02-14-20 12:44 PM

Ortlieb's QL 2.1 system works with the Pletscher modell C I bought. The rack rails are 12.75 mm tall, according top my calipers. It's a snug fit with the 12mm diameter shim tubus provides.

HardyWeinberg 02-14-20 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by Unca_Sam (Post 21314035)
I'm particularly fond of the Tubus Fly evo rack in silver, but the installation instructions specify 140-170mm lower attachment spacing, and not to exceed those values.

My wife's old schwinn w/ (127?)mm rear spacing had tubus fly (not the stainless but the cromoly one). No problem there.

Centerpull brakes on the other hand, no experience w/ that combination.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.