Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Great Lakes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   How many of you are from Minn? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1032927)

sodbreaker 10-02-15 05:15 PM

How many of you are from Minn?

Just curious how many forum members are close by, about 200 miles straight north of the cities,

stumpjumper2076 10-04-15 01:28 PM

Not 200 miles north of the cities but I live in Anoka.

tararogue 10-13-15 05:35 AM

I live in South Minneapolis and commute to the North Loop (just past downtown) for work.

It's starting to get cold again!

BikingZombie 11-27-15 04:22 PM

I live in Roseville (in the cities).

There's quite a few I've seen on the forums from the area

mpls_j 12-20-15 01:22 PM

I live in Minneapolis (Bryn Mawr neighborhood).

Alligator 12-24-15 07:23 PM

I'm on the northern side of the twin cities, and my commute is 21 miles, each way - so I don't do it very often (yet). I do bike all year, and at any temperature. I just put winter (studded) tires on yesterday due to the snow and ice.

Update: after a job change, my commute is only 10 miles each way.

Craptacular8 01-14-16 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by sodbreaker (Post 18213063)
Just curious how many forum members are close by, about 200 miles straight north of the cities,

Not 200 miles straight north, I'm in the Detroit Lakes area. Have not put studded tires on my commuter yet, waiting on some new fenders to arrive, so maybe get everything mounted at the same time. After a wipe out last year without studs, I'm too gunshy to try riding with the snow/ice otherwise. I haven't decided if it's totally worth it or not, as I'm not hardcore enough to ride when it's blistering cold out anyway.....

LoveCorgis 01-17-16 09:27 AM

I just joined the forums yesterday. I live in St. Paul.

LivingCodeBlue 02-06-16 08:25 PM

New member, Saint Paul east side here...

Refreshing 02-22-16 10:54 PM

I just moved to Maplewood from Chaska. I live car free, race cx, bike pack, and I go on lots of I-am-gonna-get-lost-today-and-see-what-I-can-find bike rides.

If you like going on short overnight bike packing trips let me know!

Wolfhaven 02-26-16 02:16 PM

Live just across the river from Duluth.

DQRider 02-26-16 10:44 PM

Minnesota: Trail conditions in the Twin Cities?

Has anybody here ridden the Mississippi River bike trails out of Saint Paul, down towards Mendota, etc. recently? Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day, and I would love to take a ride, but I can't do snow and ice with the slick tires on my bike.

Thanks,
DQR

Refreshing 02-27-16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 18567803)
Has anybody here ridden the Mississippi River bike trails out of Saint Paul, down towards Mendota, etc. recently? Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day, and I would love to take a ride, but I can't do snow and ice with the slick tires on my bike.

Thanks,
DQR

This is probably too late but I rode the Gateway yesterday out towards the border. As soon as I reached the edge of town where the plowing stopped the trail was covered in snow and ice. It could be done on a fat bike and I made it a few miles on my 2" mtb tires but slicks would not be possible. I assume this is how all of the non-plowed trails currently exist.

DQRider 02-27-16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Refreshing (Post 18568818)
This is probably too late but I rode the Gateway yesterday out towards the border. As soon as I reached the edge of town where the plowing stopped the trail was covered in snow and ice. It could be done on a fat bike and I made it a few miles on my 2" mtb tires but slicks would not be possible. I assume this is how all of the non-plowed trails currently exist.

Thanks, er, Refreshing. Yup, that's pretty much what I found. Still, enough of the trails were open in my area so I could take each of my bikes out for a nice loop. I've got Spring Fever really bad now.

rockorager 03-01-16 01:58 PM

@Refreshing: Any short bikepacking places you recommend in the Maplewood area?

Refreshing 03-02-16 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by rockorager (Post 18576150)
@Refreshing: Any short bikepacking places you recommend in the Maplewood area?

I have only been living in Maplewood for a few months and I have done a few recon missions with little success. I am just so surprised by how heavily traveled all of the local parks are. When I lived in Chaska on the west side of the cities I could ride 5 miles and be out in the woods searching for old trails to ride and not see another cyclist for the entire day.

Stealth camping near Carver, MN:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...pstbbmwuib.jpg

Camping on the Minnesota River just outside of Jordan, MN:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...psoucjgnek.jpg

Tree camping in Chaska, MN at Mammoth MTB park. This was one of my favorite places to camp. I could jump on my Karate Monkey after dark and ride a few miles of single track to some really cool stealth camping spots which were surprisingly quiet for being right next to the city.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...pshwq0sblo.jpg

tiiger 03-25-16 08:30 AM

St. Paul, Highland Park neighborhood. Just did the trails out to Mendota the other day.

The Crosby Farm trails down below River Blvd are scenic, but the pavement is horrible for road bikes. (In its defense, it can flood down there, so I'm sure it's murder on the asphalt.)

R88 06-03-16 11:33 AM

I live in Alaska but travel to Minnesota every year to ride the paved bike trails. I've not found anything in the western states that can come close to Minnesota's extensive and well maintained paths. Minneapolis is by far the most bicycle friendly large city I've experienced. It would be interesting to know the amount of tourist dollars bicyclist bring into the state. The states investment in infrastructure that not only serves the public but also attracts outside dollars has to be one of it's most enlightened expenditures.
Two hundred miles north of the cities must be right around Hibbing.

VeloKitty 06-05-16 03:54 PM

Twin Cities; just joined the forums.

Banzai 06-17-16 08:09 PM

Highland Park, St. Paul.

Rickinminneapol 09-03-16 07:38 PM

Living in Minneapolis mn

I live close to downtown, less then a mile from the new stadium

smontanaro 09-04-16 05:02 AM

I counted 14. @gomango didn't respond, so that's 15. :)

Skip, in Evanston, IL

low277 09-15-16 11:55 AM

New guy here, I am about 300 miles NW of the Twin Cities, near Thief River Falls, MN.

wipekitty 09-23-16 10:40 PM

Well...I live in Wisconsin, but I'm less than two miles from the border! I ride quite a bit in Houston County and Winona County.

Lanceoldstrong 09-23-16 11:29 PM

I am an occasional visitor to Aitkin, and Crosby.
Home is California, but I have in-law family in Minnesota.
I have shipped a bike there sometimes to be my companion when visiting.
I did an 80 mile ride to Pelican Lake and back to Aitkin on my last trip there.