Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Proposed end to cycling around the Rosebowl... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167648)

Elvo 03-04-19 02:19 PM

Proposed end to cycling around the Rosebowl...

The city proposes to block this (where the cyclist is) off...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...15abb75d05.jpg

With this:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...faf764f14c.jpg

rseeker 03-04-19 03:29 PM

Rationale?

skidder 03-04-19 08:47 PM

Without knowing anything more than what's posted in the picture, I'd say that's probably to prevent vehicle (cars and trucks) from driving through there. The delineator layout looks easy enough for a bicycle to get through (yeah, you have to slow down, no biggie if it was a regular ride for me), and no different than what's at the entrances to the trails along the local rivers trails (SGRT, L.A.R.T near Long Beach, some sections of the SART)..

Elvo 03-04-19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rseeker (Post 20822506)
Rationale?

Put an end to this:

DrIsotope 03-04-19 10:09 PM

I don't think it would be too difficult to get a bike in between bollards spaced 5 feet apart. The bollards on one of the local MUPs here are less than 3' apart, and at an angle to the trail, so they seem even closer.

Looks to me like they're just making it impossible for cars to use. If they wanted to stop bikes, they'd tear the pavement out and put in more grass.

rseeker 03-05-19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Elvo (Post 20823008)
Put an end to this:

Thanks for explaining.

diphthong 03-05-19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20823051)
I don't think it would be too difficult to get a bike in between bollards spaced 5 feet apart. The bollards on one of the local MUPs here are less than 3' apart, and at an angle to the trail, so they seem even closer.

Looks to me like they're just making it impossible for cars to use. If they wanted to stop bikes, they'd tear the pavement out and put in more grass.

fine with me. the rose bowl is a civic treasure. there are always oodles of people walking, running, cycling, etc around it unless there's a event on. place is a firkin exercise magnet.
looks like the changes will benefit everyone that isn't a motorist. people riding straight bar mtb's may have an issue but they'll adapt and overcome.

trailangel 03-05-19 09:36 AM

Would keep the cars, trucks and the Tue.-and Thurs. peloton from using that lane.
A lone biker might make it through.

skidder 03-05-19 08:07 PM

See page 15 of 34 of the attachment from a recent agenda of the City's Public Safety Committee. Its not intended to put up obstacles to bicycling, but to help enhance the loop road for all recreational uses by keeping southbound Rosemont vehicles out of the 'merging' lane so they have to go to the Seco corner, stop, then make a right turn. The deliniators are spaced to prevent vehicles from going through, but allow bicycle riders and pedestrians/joggers to use it. And I'm pretty sure the City is not focused on 30km/hr bicycle groups, but others riding bicycles at a more leisurely pace for a little exercise.

https://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/commi...ar-Meeting.pdf

Look at the video at about 17:10 when they go through the curve and it looks like some of the riders come close to getting hit by the gray sedan. I'll bet the same thing happens right now when cars use that curve to go westbound on Seco and it results in an occasional fender-bender accident.

trailangel 03-05-19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 20824690)
See page 15 of 34 of the attachment from a recent agenda of the City's Public Safety Committee. Its not intended to put up obstacles to bicycling, but to help enhance the loop road for all recreational uses by keeping southbound Rosemont vehicles out of the 'merging' lane so they have to go to the Seco corner, stop, then make a right turn. The deliniators are spaced to prevent vehicles from going through, but allow bicycle riders and pedestrians/joggers to use it. And I'm pretty sure the City is not focused on 30km/hr bicycle groups, but others riding bicycles at a more leisurely pace for a little exercise.

Look at the video at about 17:10 when they go through the curve and it looks like some of the riders come close to getting hit by the gray sedan. I'll bet the same thing happens right now when cars use that curve to go westbound on Seco and it results in an occasional fender-bender accident.

video at 17:10 is the corner of Seco and West Dr.
16:25 is the corner of Seco and Rosemont where the proposed changes are to take place.
My main gripe about this peloton is they cross the double yellow constantly....likes it's their own personal raceway.

diphthong 03-06-19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 20824690)

that was my impression as well. i could be totally wrong as usual tho.

Elvo 03-12-19 10:36 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5b94294f29.gif

furiousferret 03-12-19 11:50 AM

I've never done that ride, do you only go through it once or several times?

logical 03-12-19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 20834765)

I would assume 10 times since its 10 laps. Being in LA Ive never done the ride but it looks like a lot of fun. Not sure I could keep up though :D

skidder 03-12-19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20824743)
video at 17:10 is the corner of Seco and West Dr.
16:25 is the corner of Seco and Rosemont where the proposed changes are to take place.
My main gripe about this peloton is they cross the double yellow constantly....likes it's their own personal raceway.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe they should consider bollards/deliniators at both intersections? Rosemont/Seco and Seco/West? Better than someone coming out of the corner at a good speed and colliding with a vehicle.

Elvo 03-13-19 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 20834765)

Group usually does 8-10 laps depending on the sunset time. Keep in mind you need to average ~25 mph to keep up with the breakaway group.

furiousferret 03-13-19 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Elvo (Post 20835936)
Group usually does 8-10 laps depending on the sunset time. Keep in mind you need to average ~25 mph to keep up with the breakaway group.

That's going to kill the ride; even if you neutralize it eventually someone is going to get hurt. I hit one of those plastic pole barriers once on Raincross; when you're in the pack and people dodge something last second and dont call it out you're going to get hit.

Elvo 03-13-19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 20835987)
That's going to kill the ride; even if you neutralize it eventually someone is going to get hurt. I hit one of those plastic pole barriers once on Raincross; when you're in the pack and people dodge something last second and dont call it out you're going to get hit.

Yep: Pasadena Now » City Officials Pleased With New Rose Bowl Loop Traffic Safety Test | Pasadena California, Hotels,CA Real Estate,Restaurants,City Guide... - Pasadena.com

That turn is typically taken at 30+ mph

logical 03-13-19 02:48 PM

lol. Pleased. As one of the riders hits one of the cones during the video.

DrIsotope 03-13-19 03:47 PM

Speaking as an almost exclusively solo rider, I don't have a problem with the city's solution at all. If people want to continue to group up and ride at crit racing speeds on open public roads, they're gonna have to find somewhere else to do it. I could still go around that corner full o' cones at 25mph no problem. Because I don't need a pack to follow.

furiousferret 03-13-19 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 20836577)
Speaking as an almost exclusively solo rider, I don't have a problem with the city's solution at all. If people want to continue to group up and ride at crit racing speeds on open public roads, they're gonna have to find somewhere else to do it. I could still go around that corner full o' cones at 25mph no problem. Because I don't need a pack to follow.

We're running out of places to do that; its hard to find places for hammerfests out here but in a busy area like Pasadena its close to impossible.

trailangel 03-14-19 09:38 AM

https://www.cicle.org/city-of-pasade...-at-rose-bowl/
My take on this...maybe I don't know all the facts...but from reading the meeting pdf in post #9 , appears the city would like the peloton to get a permit, insurance, and declare this as a formal event with hired cops. Then they would probably remove the stanchions at this corner, and have other cops doing traffic control all around the 3 mile loop.
As I say I don't know if they already have permit and insurance... some riders might know. I don't participate in this, but I do ride through there once or twice a week.
Peloton makes it unsafe for the casual rider. Casual riders need to drift over to the pedestrian area. Also have kids and dog walkers there. peloton always drifts into this area as well... including crossing double yellow.
You wanna race train, go to a crit track. Take it off the streets.

Tycho Brahe 03-14-19 11:42 AM

I simply do not understand the allure of going around in circles in a large group.

diphthong 03-15-19 01:26 AM

^just speculating that you're not a huge nascar fan either...i'm not big on it either...perhaps the small area in question will become a neutral/regrouping zone and the laps will be run/timed/raced differently and with smaller groups.
i'm sure those that are adversely affected will adapt, move on or petition the powers that be to return things to as they were.

furiousferret 03-15-19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20837483)
https://www.cicle.org/city-of-pasade...-at-rose-bowl/
My take on this...maybe I don't know all the facts...but from reading the meeting pdf in post #9 , appears the city would like the peloton to get a permit, insurance, and declare this as a formal event with hired cops. Then they would probably remove the stanchions at this corner, and have other cops doing traffic control all around the 3 mile loop.
As I say I don't know if they already have permit and insurance... some riders might know. I don't participate in this, but I do ride through there once or twice a week.
Peloton makes it unsafe for the casual rider. Casual riders need to drift over to the pedestrian area. Also have kids and dog walkers there. peloton always drifts into this area as well... including crossing double yellow.
You wanna race train, go to a crit track. Take it off the streets.

Yeah, those don't exist. The only real 'crit track' is El Dorado in Long Beach, but even that isn't dedicated to bikes.

Even the areas that are capable of hosting such a thing are used for other purposes, or they're private and either won't allow the activity or are too expensive. I don't live near Pasadena so I'm trying to be unbiased, but as someone who does those rides on occasion there are very few areas with the ideal conditions.