Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Anyone have meniere's disease / fullness in left ear.? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1180848)

spinnaker 08-11-19 05:58 PM

Anyone have meniere's disease / fullness in left ear.?

I have recently developed an issue in my left ear where it feels like it is stuffed up, Much like you get after flying or diving but it did not clear. At first I went to an urgent care because it was most expedient. The doctor there diagnosed me with fluid behind the ear and that it should clear in a few weeks.

I waited two weeks and no improvement at all so I made an appointment with an ENT. She did not diagnose me with "meniere's disease" but she told me she "would treat me as I had meniere's disease" which confused me a bit. I have been to ENTs many years in the past and I just wonder if there isn't some witch doctoring going on in some of the diagnoses.

I was told to watch salt, chocolate and caffeine intake, Salt is really no problem as I have been watching that for years but cut back even more since the diagnoses. I have really drank that much caffeine. Maybe a glass of iced tea a day. And a couple of small squares of chocolate a day. But I have cut that out totally. The chocolate is the hard part as I am a chocoholic. :)

What confuses me is I have none of the other symptoms of meniere's disease. No dizyness, no vertigo, no nausea. My balance is pretty darn good for someone 60 years old. The only symptom I have is the fullness in the ear and diminished hearing in that ear. I have tinnitus but have had that for years.

I just wonder if she misdiagnosed me? I told here about my periodic sore throat and the draining I appear to have in my throat. I used to dive so just tried a valsva maneuver where you clear your ears. The right clears as normal and I can hear the pop. The left would not pop. I just wonder if it is Eustachian tube dysfunction? Though the tympanogram did not seem to show it or she missed it?

So has anyone else been diagnosed with meniers's with only fullness and diminished hearing? Does that come and go? Or do you always have it? Mine seems to alleviate periodically ( especially with exercise but never really goes away totally.

Hondo Gravel 08-11-19 09:09 PM

In 2015 I had a parotid tumor removed from my right jaw/ear and it ain’t no joke. It killed a Beastie Boy member a pop/rock band from the 80s. My local doc said they are mostly benign but insisted I see a cancer doc who stuck a needle in the side of my face :lol: he look at the slide and said no worries it isn’t cancer. But the lab should confirm it. So he was right! No cancer. The ENT surgeon removed the nasty growth and life went on! So Spinnaker take it seriously and all the precautions.

spinnaker 08-11-19 09:30 PM

No tumor unless he missed it. And these damn steroids are giving me hiccups like crazy.

I need some foo love sent my why for a cure please. :hug:

no motor? 08-12-19 10:31 AM

She probably didn't diagnose you with it to avoid the problems that can occur later when the insurance companies see the claims.

bigbenaugust 08-12-19 11:17 AM

I've had dizziness/vertigo with tinnitus/fullness/hearing loss in my right ear only since I was 10. The vertigo has come and gone in phases, but none in the last 10 years. Fullness is occasional. Tinnitus and hearing loss have been progressive, used to be intermittent, but now stable over the last 8-10 years.

Multiple times I was screened for tumors, metabolic issues, etc. I was told at some point I was too young for Meniere's, then a young ENT suggested enlarged vestibular aqueducts and ordered an MRI. Turns out mine were barely detectable, so my inner ear basically ate itself up over a few decades with the lack of fluid circulation.

I've never been prescribed anything.

no motor? 08-12-19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 21071754)
I've never been prescribed anything.

I'm prescribing you a bike ride, but with equally balanced kitty litter panniers!

c0urt 08-12-19 12:17 PM

i have had tinnitus since i was like 4, and the full feeling slowly loosing hearing, but i all was thought it was because i ripped the ear off a few years ago

RubeRad 08-12-19 04:47 PM

A couple times, holding my nose while sneezing during a snotty cold, has forced snot into an eustachian tube, and it took a LONG time to clear itself out (like weeks). I don't know if this would be diagnosed as a 'disease' with a name, but it kind of sounds like the same thing. I think what mostly got stuff moving was to hold my nose and apply pressure (like unpopping your ears on an airplane, or pressurizing at the bottom of a swimming pool) to shake stuff loose

spinnaker 08-12-19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21072318)
A couple times, holding my nose while sneezing during a snotty cold, has forced snot into an eustachian tube, and it took a LONG time to clear itself out (like weeks). I don't know if this would be diagnosed as a 'disease' with a name, but it kind of sounds like the same thing. I think what mostly got stuff moving was to hold my nose and apply pressure (like unpopping your ears on an airplane, or pressurizing at the bottom of a swimming pool) to shake stuff loose

I am hoping that is what is is. Just that the ENT did not detect it. I do feel a little less stuffy as time progresses. I guess the diet she has me on is good over all. ;)

The ringing has been driving me crazy. I am considering hearing aids which is supposed to help. Though the sound always seems to intensify this time of year.

bigbenaugust 08-13-19 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by spinnaker (Post 21072711)
I am hoping that is what is is. Just that the ENT did not detect it. I do feel a little less stuffy as time progresses. I guess the diet she has me on is good over all. ;)

The ringing has been driving me crazy. I am considering hearing aids which is supposed to help. Though the sound always seems to intensify this time of year.

One gets used to it over decades. :/

My hearing aids basically pipe the sound from the dead ear over to the good ear (what they call Contralateral Routing Of Sound, or one-sided CROS), so they do nothing for the ringing in the dead (right) ear. The right hearing aid is just a mic and a transmitter. Useful in meetings, not so much in large noisy rooms.

You'd want to go with what they call the bi-CROS setup where both sides can put stuff into the ears and then you can get into tinnitus-management white noise and whatnot.

OH, and I got a link to a PDF on tinnitus management from my audiologist at my last checkup. Did y'all know that tinnitus is the #1 (?) complaint at the VA?

https://www.ncrar.research.va.gov/Ed...urTinnitus.pdf

spinnaker 08-13-19 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 21073208)
One gets used to it over decades. :/

My hearing aids basically pipe the sound from the dead ear over to the good ear (what they call Contralateral Routing Of Sound, or one-sided CROS), so they do nothing for the ringing in the dead (right) ear. The right hearing aid is just a mic and a transmitter. Useful in meetings, not so much in large noisy rooms.

You'd want to go with what they call the bi-CROS setup where both sides can put stuff into the ears and then you can get into tinnitus-management white noise and whatnot.

OH, and I got a link to a PDF on tinnitus management from my audiologist at my last checkup. Did y'all know that tinnitus is the #1 (?) complaint at the VA?

https://www.ncrar.research.va.gov/Ed...urTinnitus.pdf

Thanks for your concern. So how bad is your tinnitus? Did hearing aides help to at least ignore it? What do you do at night when it is bad?

Mine is pretty loud now. Kept me up last night but I think I was fixated on it. I try not to let it bother me. Hoping the uptick is just temporary. I get these episodes a few times a year. I always have it. But it upticks everyone in a while.

It really sucks doesn't it? I don't mind the lose of hearing all that much but the ringing is horrible.

I had it from a very early age. I would just get very short periods of ringing and roaring for no reason. We used to say "someone is talking about you". ;) Then it became constant but manageable in my early 30s. Gotten worse over the years.

What I can't figure out is, if it is in the brain then why can't it be turned off? You would think hypnosis could help.

bigbenaugust 08-13-19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by spinnaker (Post 21073234)
Thanks for your concern. So how bad is your tinnitus? Did hearing aides help to at least ignore it? What do you do at night when it is bad?
Mine is pretty loud now. Kept me up last night but I think I was fixated on it. I try not to let it bother me. Hoping the uptick is just temporary. I get these episodes a few times a year. I always have it. But it upticks everyone in a while.
It really sucks doesn't it? I don't mind the lose of hearing all that much but the ringing is horrible.
I had it from a very early age. I would just get very short periods of ringing and roaring for no reason. We used to say "someone is talking about you". ;) Then it became constant but manageable in my early 30s. Gotten worse over the years.
What I can't figure out is, if it is in the brain then why can't it be turned off? You would think hypnosis could help.

The deafness and tinnitus have been concurrent for me... so all I have is ringing in the right ear now. I guess that makes it relatively easy to ignore.
I first noticed the hearing loss in early elementary school when I realized the pillow only made crunching noises when I slept on my left.
It's never bothered me at night or affected my sleeping. It's quiet afternoons in the office (when all I can hear is ringing) that are the worst.

spinnaker 08-13-19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 21073305)
The deafness and tinnitus have been concurrent for me... so all I have is ringing in the right ear now. I guess that makes it relatively easy to ignore.
I first noticed the hearing loss in early elementary school when I realized the pillow only made crunching noises when I slept on my left.
It's never bothered me at night or affected my sleeping. It's quiet afternoons in the office (when all I can hear is ringing) that are the worst.

But it is quiet at night so how do you deal?

When I am working I notice it less because I am distracted.

bigbenaugust 08-14-19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by spinnaker (Post 21073883)
But it is quiet at night so how do you deal?

That I can't explain. Unless it's because my ringing is very high-frequency (like an old TV) and that has some effect on my ability to dismiss it, vs. a more rushing/roaring sound.

Machka 08-14-19 07:38 AM

Have a read: https://vestibular.org/

Then go to your Doctor and get a referral to a physio trained in treating vestibular disorder and BPPV.

spinnaker 08-14-19 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust (Post 21074855)
That I can't explain. Unless it's because my ringing is very high-frequency (like an old TV) and that has some effect on my ability to dismiss it, vs. a more rushing/roaring sound.

My ringing is very high in the right. More of a rushing but some high tone in the left.

Yes sounds like an old TV horizontal oscillator. I used to work on them all the time. I would be in a whole room of them and would sometimes be able to hear the TVs when they were on.