Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Niner RLT 9 RDO Reviewed by Gravel Cyclist (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1131502)

TimothyH 12-25-17 10:48 PM

Niner RLT 9 RDO Reviewed by Gravel Cyclist

Jason O'Malley at Gravel Cyclist has some kind words for the Niner RLT 9 RDO.

I cannot quite put a finger on it, but the RLT 9 RDO has an uncanny ability to mitigate some very harsh gravel road conditions. Without a doubt, this frame eats up bumps better than every other carbon gravel bike frame I have reviewed. Even on glarly washboard, the bike performs better than everything else I have ridden.
This is the $8800+ version which is no longer offered by Niner. Keep in mind that the Enve wheels are a $2700+ piece of gear in their own right.

-Tim-

Marcus_Ti 12-26-17 08:47 AM

Yea, Niner's wheel choice on the 5-star builds always struck me as more of a "what can we do to increase the price" rather than a smart functional improvement choice.

mstateglfr 12-26-17 12:33 PM

Wow thats a crazy amount of $ for what i see reviewed.
To each their own and all. Just not sure how this is 'better' than so many options 2-4x less.
Clearance for 40mm should mean actual legit clearance as in a stuck pebble wont scratch up the chainstay.

It does look neat though.

Marcus_Ti 12-26-17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20072914)
Wow thats a crazy amount of $ for what i see reviewed.
To each their own and all. Just not sure how this is 'better' than so many options 2-4x less.
Clearance for 40mm should mean actual legit clearance as in a stuck pebble wont scratch up the chainstay.

It does look neat though.

Scratch the wheels with something more reasonable and it is quite price competitive. Getting a Di2 hydraulic bike is automatically a $5,000USD-ish proposition.

Sadly just about everyone states tire clearance in "you can run this but may gouge your stays" terms.

mstateglfr 12-26-17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20072925)
Scratch the wheels with something more reasonable and it is quite price competitive. Getting a Di2 hydraulic bike is automatically a $5,000USD-ish proposition.

Sadly just about everyone states tire clearance in "you can run this but may gouge your stays" terms.

Interesting- i saw you mentioned the wheels as overkill earlier, ill have to read up on the model.

TimothyH 12-26-17 05:07 PM

Niner spec for max tire width is 40 mm but there is plenty of room to spare.

Metieval 12-26-17 08:43 PM

people want tire clearance so they can run road plus. Road plus is pointless on a race bike, if the bike is by far one of the better crappy road absorption bikes on the market.
Now lets talk about price...... Niner can go join Specialized in the price gouging cess pool.

Metieval 12-26-17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TruthBomb (Post 20073691)
Why do you imagine that Niner is price gouging?

umm their prices? :lol:

Spoonrobot 12-26-17 09:13 PM

I didn't watch the video but 40mm is small now. More popular gravel means more riders of varying abilities as well as riders coming from other backgrounds that want a larger tire. 1x as well as better engineering for clearance for 2x is pushing acceptable sizes right up to 50mm/2.0 tires.

Also, the gravelcyclist guys ride in a ton of mud every year so I can understand why they mentioned it.

Marcus_Ti 12-26-17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 20073694)
umm their prices? :lol:

$8800 that gets you a full carbon fiber with all Ultegra Di2 hydraulic bike with $3,000 wheels isn't price gouging...although as stated twice now already, the wheels are just price-bumping for no benefit. $2,000 for entry level SRAM (like Salsa bikes), now that is gouging.

HTupolev 12-26-17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TruthBomb (Post 20073717)
You don’t know what price gouging means.

Let me help you out:

“Price gouging refers to sellers trying to take unfair advantage of consumers during an emergency or disaster by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services.”

Obviously a consumer not having a Niner RLT 9 RDO counts as a disaster.

Metieval 12-26-17 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TruthBomb (Post 20073717)
You don’t know what price gouging means.

Let me help you out:

“Price gouging refers to sellers trying to take unfair advantage of consumers during an emergency or disaster by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services.”

google is helpful also, and probably more trustworthy. :love:

Metieval 12-26-17 09:26 PM

I suppose Unethical and ethical is a matter of opinion apparently. Which is why companies like Niner/Specialized exist.
then again Niner is the company that is looking for a financial bailout. maybe you'll should bail them out by buying an over priced Niner bike? yeah?

Marcus_Ti 12-26-17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TruthBomb (Post 20073728)
Laughing for the second time here.

The SES 4.5 ARs offer no benefit? Why?

If I was in the market for deepish section CF rims**...I'd buy Boyd wheels that are quite literally half the price, AKA far better $/performance. ENVE rims are nice, that doesn't mean they aren't overpriced compared to the competition.

**Of course, I'm not in the market, and would rather have great durability alloy rims/hubs at a minor weight penalty.

Metieval 12-26-17 09:43 PM

I am thinking that if your Niner was so awesome you'd be riding it instead of starting who can urinate higher matches on a message forum. Maybe?
yes you bought an over priced Niner. we get it, you don't need to justify it to us, just go ride it and leave us to our opinions? Or don't ride it, It's (the Niner) probably just a status symbol anyways.

Metieval 12-26-17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TruthBomb (Post 20073762)
You are even more confused than I thought.

I already rode today even though posting vs riding isn’t an either or proposition.

Leave you to your opinions? Why do simple questions like “why do you imagine they are overpriced?” or “overpriced compared to what?” threaten you to the point that you can’t answer and have to lash out instead?

Claiming that someone doesn’t ride/bought a bike as a status symbol is classic projection. And really sad in its own right.

Most people that ride return home happier. maybe you need a better bike? :roflmao2: