Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Never fails to surprise me the insights from Myfitness pal (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1155106)

squirtdad 09-10-18 03:13 PM

Never fails to surprise me the insights from Myfitness pal

LIke many of us here, weight is a day to day thing. we all know the basics, that is easy, the challenge is applying them consistently.

I have been off and on using myfitness pal to record what I am eating.....even though I know I use it consistently and I lose weight.

After a great weekend (40 mile ride, one mile swim) of exercise, I have started again and as usual it is the little insights that it gives me that will add up.

Today it was: I got soup at lunch......have to guess at content a bit, but that is ok better to guess than not record. I also got 3 packs of the oyster crackers. I was surprised to see that each was 70 cal so 210 in total.
The insight is that it will be no problem in the future to skip the crackers....simple way to avoid some calories without any deprivation
knowledge is power

that's it folks :)

Glenn6870 09-10-18 04:48 PM

the other issue with that combo is the sodium. Soup is notoriously high in sodium, and along with the crackers, you probably had more than your RDA of sodium. ( i am a HUGE lover of soup, so i have experienced this many times ).

I am like you when it comes to MyFitnessPal. I’m currently not tracking, but i need to get my act together. I’m always amazed at some things that i don’t think are “too bad” for me end up crushing my allowances for the day!!

sdmc530 09-10-18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn6870 (Post 20557979)
I’m always amazed at some things that i don’t think are “too bad” for me end up crushing my allowances for the day!!

That app app has crushed my soul so many times. It’s a good app but it’s hard to swallow the truth of it. Food is soooo good.

ChiefTJS 09-11-18 06:42 PM

I'm a big believer in the app, it helps me when I'm serious but in the end it's me that has to do it. It always comes back to us, we are the only ones that can do it but no doubt Myfitnesspal is a great aid.

Milton Keynes 09-12-18 11:59 AM

MFP helped me to lose some weight, and it's a good app. I just found it a royal pain to have to log everything I eat, and often I didn't know actual or approximate calorie content. So part of the time I was guessing, trying to err on the side of caution by rounding up. I eventually got tired of it and stopped using it. I haven't gained anything back and am still maintaining where I am, which is what I was doing for about a month before I stopped using it.

But yes, it is a real eye opener when it comes to calorie content of food. If at all possible best to avoid all the carbs and sugar you can and you should be OK.

JLDickmon 09-13-18 09:42 AM

thing that gets me about MFP is, how many variances there are on certain food items..
You might enter a certain food item, and have ten entries to pick from to log the calories..

Milton Keynes 09-13-18 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JLDickmon (Post 20563435)
thing that gets me about MFP is, how many variances there are on certain food items..
You might enter a certain food item, and have ten entries to pick from to log the calories..

That's when you just pick the one with fewest calories! :)

winston63 09-13-18 10:40 AM

Long time MFP user here. I completely agree with the OP, I've been shocked many times at the caloric content of some "harmless" additions to a meal!

I've had great success with the app and got my weight down to my target a couple of years ago and I've been on maintenance since then.

I don't normally track any more unless my weight creeps up above my comfort zone. When that happens I go back to tracking until I'm back in range. And looking at the scale over the past week means that I'm back to tracking for a time...

winston63 09-13-18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 20563551)
That's when you just pick the one with fewest calories! :)

:lol: