Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Grinder bike thefts can be very fast (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1162182)

asmac 12-13-18 05:27 PM

Grinder bike thefts can be very fast

Video of a grinder bike theft. Eight seconds, two streaks of light and it's gone. I wish news reports would give some information regarding the type of lock -- that would be helpful.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...heft-1.4944326

Payton1221 12-13-18 06:09 PM

Wow. I use an angle grinder in my garage, but I didn't know that battery operated ones were available until just googling it now. Incredible.

I'd say it was a very cheap lock because I don't think my electric one could cut through a quality lock or cable in that short period of time.

wolfchild 12-13-18 07:12 PM

I've just posted the same link, not realizing that you got there before me.

veganbikes 12-13-18 08:49 PM

Don't buy cheap crappy locks, kids! Also learn how to lock your bike and practice good locking, always. Yes there is no theft proof lock but if you are the best locked around the thieves are going to go for the easier targets.

PaulRivers 12-14-18 01:09 PM

Kryptonite's top end Fahgettaboudit - 01:10s -

It's interesting how car theft has become so unusual though isn't it? Haven't known anyone in the last decade to have their car stolen and not show up again - when cars rarely get stolen it usually seems to be bored punk kids who drive the car around then leave it at the other end of town where it's recovered.

Maelstrom 12-14-18 01:19 PM

This is kind of like understanding how IT security works....

you just want to make it hard enough to deter since true security is non-existent. You hope you deterred well enough to force them onto the next easiest theft.

CliffordK 12-14-18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by PaulRivers (Post 20704690)
It's interesting how car theft has become so unusual though isn't it? Haven't known anyone in the last decade to have their car stolen and not show up again - when cars rarely get stolen it usually seems to be bored punk kids who drive the car around then leave it at the other end of town where it's recovered.

Likely what we need is mandatory licensing and registration for bicycles. And, nobody wants that, in part because registration typically also includes taxation. Lifetime registration for the cost of doing the paperwork? National networking of registrations?

Also, bike theft needs to be taken very seriously. Felonies and jail time. Bait Bikes? Convince stores to start adding high resolution security cameras of their customer's property.

Theft of safety equipment? Component theft?

What about abandoned property?

Maelstrom 12-14-18 01:44 PM

https://project529.com/garage

We use this in BC, its free with every bike purchase for bike registration.

BrocLuno 12-14-18 11:19 PM

As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. 90% into containers headed for the 3rd world. Sorry, I don't get Europe indifference to the issue ... :(

Sort of hate to say it because I like good looking bikes, but the best deterrent is rust and graffiti ... Make it look bad with mis-matched wheels, stickers, and rattle can paint; and they'll prolly just leave it alone ...

124Spider 12-14-18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BrocLuno (Post 20705351)
As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. .

That number is only a bit over four times the actual number of annual bike thefts in the Netherlands (a bit over 100,000, which isn't that horrid given that bike ownership in the Netherlands is over four times per capita that of the USA, and 24% of Dutch people ride a bike daily.

Just because someone said it on the internet doesn't make it so....

BrocLuno 12-14-18 11:46 PM

Actually it was reported in a Rotterdam paper two years ago when I was there ...

prathmann 12-15-18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 124Spider (Post 20705372)
That number is only a bit over four times the actual number of annual bike thefts in the Netherlands (a bit over 100,000, which isn't that horrid given that bike ownership in the Netherlands is over four times per capita that of the USA, and 24% of Dutch people ride a bike daily.

Just because someone said it on the internet doesn't make it so....

Your number is based on thefts which were entered into official police reports while the higher number (~500,000) is estimated based on public surveys which asked whether they had a bike stolen and whether they had reported it to the police.

124Spider 12-15-18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by prathmann (Post 20705392)
Your number is based on thefts which were entered into official police reports while the higher number (~500,000) is estimated based on public surveys which asked whether they had a bike stolen and whether they had reported it to the police.

Could be, I guess. I'm skeptical.

BrocLuno 12-15-18 06:32 AM

In either case, it's a BIG number.

When I suggested they start equipping seat posts with 12 ga shells and smart firing pins linked to owners as a deterrent, they got all bent out of shape! But something needs doing ...

fietsbob 12-15-18 09:19 AM

Ir's a cost of living in a big city... part of a "bicycle culture" is Theft...

Marcus_Ti 12-16-18 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 20703908)
Don't buy cheap crappy locks, kids! Also learn how to lock your bike and practice good locking, always. Yes there is no theft proof lock but if you are the best locked around the thieves are going to go for the easier targets.

If they want your bike, they'll take it.

People angle grinder locks in broad day light and crowded city streets, and get away with it. The best locks money can buy when properly used are only a minor anoyance to thieves who have the tools and want your bike.

prairiepedaler 12-16-18 09:47 AM

Outlawing Bike thieves

The problem of bike theft is a human issue, not a material or technological one. There are a couple of options to minimize bike theft. One option is outlawing bike thieves. That is, they receive no legal protection or rights while engaged in the act of bike theft. Harsh perhaps but the position could be adopted on a trial model in some state with a prolific bike theft problem. Thieves would be taking their lives into their own hands. Think of something akin to double indemnity - you can't be charged for killing the same person twice. People commit murder in Texas anyways despite capital punishment, but I wonder what the rate would be if Texas didn't impose that penalty.

Just some pleasant Sunday morning thinking...

tcs 12-16-18 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler (Post 20706826)
The problem of bike theft is a human issue, not a material or technological one. There are a couple of options to minimize bike theft. One option is outlawing bike thieves. That is, they receive no legal protection or rights while engaged in the act of bike theft. Harsh perhaps but the position could be adopted on a trial model in some state with a prolific bike theft problem. Thieves would be taking their lives into their own hands. Think of something akin to double indemnity - you can't be charged for killing the same person twice. People commit murder in Texas anyways despite capital punishment, but I wonder what the rate would be if Texas didn't impose that penalty.

Actually, because of an old 'anti-cattle rustling' law still on the books, a grand jury would probably no bill you for killing someone stealing your bike at night in Texas.

No whar but Texas.

BrocLuno 12-16-18 12:06 PM

I think the thing to do is make your commuter bike as ugly as possible. Pink paint from a rattle can, stickers, mismatched wheel colors, etc. If it looks ugly and lame, they'll prolly leave it alone.

Don't commute on your $6K mountain bike, or eBike. But, then what's the point of an eBike ... :(

veganbikes 12-16-18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20706798)
If they want your bike, they'll take it.

People angle grinder locks in broad day light and crowded city streets, and get away with it. The best locks money can buy when properly used are only a minor annoyance to thieves who have the tools and want your bike.

True but it is still good to have a good lock and good locking practices for the times there aren't the super brazen thieves who will just start cutting right then and there. Most of the time that is not the case though some areas people don't care and aren't stopping these jackholes so they are allowed to flourish.

Dahon.Steve 12-16-18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrocLuno (Post 20706983)
Don't commute on your $6K mountain bike, or eBike. But, then what's the point of an eBike ... :(

If you look at the video and others like it, you'll see the bike stolen are ALL out in plain view! This is why I lock my bike away from foot traffic if possible. The crooks can't steal your bike if they can't find it. Show me a video of where someone with an grinder finds a bike in a hidden location? Trust me when I say this, no one is going to protect your bike or even call the police when your bike is under attack in full view of hundreds of people. Even if it's in front of a police station. No one!

On a different topic, this is the reason why e-bikes won't catch on in the US because who's going to spend 2-4K on a bike that can be stolen in under 2 minutes or less?

Marcus_Ti 12-16-18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 20707491)
If you look at the video and others like it, you'll see the bike stolen are ALL out in plain view! This is why I lock my bike away from foot traffic if possible. The crooks can't steal your bike if they can't find it. Show me a video of where someone with an grinder finds a bike in a hidden location? Trust me when I say this, no one is going to protect your bike or even call the police when your bike is under attack in full view of hundreds of people. Even if it's in front of a police station. No one!

On a different topic, this is the reason why e-bikes won't catch on in the US because who's going to spend 2-4K on a bike that can be stolen in under 2 minutes or less?

Well usually....bikes in more hidden areas lack any surveillance whatsoever. The lack of video footage of thefts taking place in areas generally without video surveillance doesn't really prove thefts aren't common.

Rollfast 12-16-18 08:11 PM

It seems as if there is another thread elsewhere about this same topic and video, perhaps they can be merged?

Kent T 12-17-18 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BrocLuno (Post 20705351)
As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. 90% into containers headed for the 3rd world. Sorry, I don't get Europe indifference to the issue ... :(

Sort of hate to say it because I like good looking bikes, but the best deterrent is rust and graffiti ... Make it look bad with mis-matched wheels, stickers, and rattle can paint; and they'll prolly just leave it alone ...

Agree highly, ugly looking, no glitz, and mismatched, odds are way better it will be left alone. Everyone needs a good beater bike for urban or high risk use.

PaulRivers 12-17-18 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 20707491)

:roflmao: New theory: bike theft only happens in areas covered by video recording, thus video recording is what causes bike thefts.