Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Alfine 11 S7001 questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166175)

Banzai 02-10-19 10:38 PM

Alfine 11 S7001 questions

The cycling-interested corners of the internet are littered with stories about Alfine 11 problems, from extremely finicky setups, to outright malfunctioning and extremely poor reliability. The consensus seems to be that if you want a hub to function, get an Alfine 8.

Most of those discussions are getting kind of dated though, and I can't find much about the new S7001 version of the hub.

Is it better? Is it worth taking the risk on? At nearly $400, it's a pricey gamble.

motorapido 02-11-19 10:29 AM

My SG S700 has been flawless for 6,000 miles

Originally Posted by Banzai (Post 20788773)
The cycling-interested corners of the internet are littered with stories about Alfine 11 problems, from extremely finicky setups, to outright malfunctioning and extremely poor reliability. The consensus seems to be that if you want a hub to function, get an Alfine 8.

Most of those discussions are getting kind of dated though, and I can't find much about the new S7001 version of the hub.

Is it better? Is it worth taking the risk on? At nearly $400, it's a pricey gamble.

My Alfine 11 SG S700 is probably the older model. I have had no problems despite gearing it far lower than Shimano approved and riding 6000 miles including several fully loaded tours and mostly on gravel and heavy mud. Great hub.

Banzai 02-11-19 02:48 PM

Good to know. The UK cyclechat forum has a near 50 page thread full of people replacing the Alfine 11 multiple times before giving up. MTBR has very little positive either.

However, almost all of those discussions predate the 7001 model.

Wouldn’t be the first time Shimano used consumers for product testing...

fietsbob 02-11-19 02:52 PM

Likely if you keep up on the oil changes , frequently enough.. you will be better off ..

sweeks 02-12-19 08:12 PM

I have an Alfine 11 on my folding commuter bike. 6,500 miles with nary a problem. I do oil changes about every 600-700 miles; it's easy. I use a synthetic gear oil (Royal Purple 75w-140) which is much cheaper than the OEM lubricant and has worked perfectly well.

Buglady 02-16-19 12:47 PM

Mechanic here, have worked on Alfine 11s (as well as Alfine 8, and Nexus 3/5/7/8) for the last 6 years. Setup and maintenance are important, and can be fiddly, but whether the hubs are "good/bad" really depends on what one expects from them in the first place. If you expect the same gear range as a derailleur setup, or if you want to ride at minus forty (I've had that conversation six times this week), or if you want to shift while pedalling uphill at heavy torque - no, you aren't going to be happy with the Alfine 11, or really any IGH; they just are not designed to be used that way.

I do think there's a sampling bias in the preponderance of bad reviews; not only are people ten times more likely to talk about bad experiences than good ones, but people who post on cycling forums are also more likely to be sensitive to changes and noises than the general cycling public. The vast majority of the bikes I have worked on belong to commuters who don't put extraordinary demands on the hubs, and they are happy with them.

No system is perfect, but I have no hesitation recommending Alfine 11 hubs to people who are using their bikes for relatively light duty commuting and utility riding, or for recreation.

For long distance touring, carrying or towing heavy loads, or winter riding, I would recommend a different drivetrain - derailleur, Rohloff hub, or even pinion drive (I'm just starting to learn about those and they are fascinating), as these systems are better able to handle the demands of such uses.

fietsbob 02-16-19 01:19 PM

It's like the news , crash landings get coverage, not routine safe ones ..

alias5000 02-18-19 01:38 PM

@Buglady

What is the reason you are recommending against using it in (serious) winter?