Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Gilles Berthoud - filled-brazed fast randonneuse (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1263200)

mikemowbz 11-15-22 07:34 PM

Gilles Berthoud - filled-brazed fast randonneuse

While I don't think this bike is terribly old - I'd guess 1990s or turn of the millennium? - it certainly has a 'classic' vibe.

I haven't been posting here in C&V much for a while, but thought folks here might appreciate this one!

The project of building this out to complete took me much longer than it should, as a series of (often expensive) miscues with planning and parts selection + myriad other competing priorities in the context of a worldwide pandemic delayed the journey that eventually brought me to the final build you see below.

Classic fillet-brazed steel frame built with unknown tubing, vertical dropouts finished in the 'fish-mouth' style, simple but elegant binder lug and fork crown. All details very nicely executed.

The steel rando rack came to me with the frame.

Campagnolo Centaur 11 silver group, Campy silver hubs, TA Carmina Compact crank, Nitto cockpit and cages - and, of course, Gilles Berthoud saddle (and XL rando bag in blue canvas / natural leather trim, not pictured).

I'll have to take some detail shots, but here's a quick snap from my very enjoyable first ride this afternoon:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...52a8df26_k.jpgIMG_1200 by Mike Mowbz, on Flickr

Drillium Dude 11-15-22 07:40 PM

What a beauty - does it fit like a custom? Berthoud saddle and bags, too. Nice :)

Looking forward to detail pics. Yes, you might not post as often, but when you do...

Thanks for dropping by!

DD

mikemowbz 11-15-22 07:40 PM

Dammit. NOT FOR SALE...wrong (sub) Forum. Flagged for mods to move to 'regular' C&V as posted Classic & Vintage Sales in error!

mikemowbz 11-15-22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 22711898)
What a beauty - does it fit like a custom? Berthoud saddle and bags, too. Nice :)

Looking forward to detail pics. Yes, you might not post as often, but when you do...

Thanks for dropping by!

DD

Thanks, Jeff! How are you and your stable doing these days?

If this Berthoud were built for me, an extra 5-10mm in the top tube (by way of slightly slacker ST angle?) might be in the cards, but it's pretty dang close to a perfect fit.

My 45-odd minute maiden voyage suggests that I will be hiking the saddle and setting back on the rails a few mm + giving it a little 'nose up' - at which point I think it should be just about perfect for me, albeit with the aid of the lugged Nitto post you see (which brings a whole lot of setback to the equation) and a handlebar with ample reach (95mm reach on the Nitto Noodle I used is unusually long by modern standards - but I like it, even with the 11s Ergos, and the classic curve suits the bike).

I will endeavour to put my meagre camera skills to use when the sun is up to capture some details and share here!

clubman 11-15-22 08:12 PM

Sport Tourer! Lovely.

himespau 11-15-22 09:10 PM

Beauty.

ollo_ollo 11-16-22 06:11 AM

Beautimous indeed! Don

Bianchigirll 11-16-22 07:11 AM

Great looking machine

Dylansbob 11-16-22 01:13 PM

When i hear the words "Giles Berthoud bike", that's what I envision.

mikemowbz 11-16-22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 22712528)
When i hear the words "Giles Berthoud bike", that's what I envision.

Thanks - that comment makes me feel like I did something right here, even if the journey to full build took the long way around!

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

merziac 11-16-22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikemowbz (Post 22712855)
Thanks - that comment makes me feel like I did something right here, even if the journey to full build took the long way around!

Thanks to all for the positive comments.

:thumb: Simply fantastic, well done!

At the end of the day, it takes what it takes, long way around or otherwise, that's all there is to it, plain and simple, or not. ;)

Case in point. :innocent:

This didn't take that long once the frame was done but all that time gave me time to agonize over many of the details that turned out exactly how I wanted them to for having plenty of time to get there.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...38d83061a8.jpg

Ross200 11-17-22 01:50 AM

Looks fast and comfortable besides!

cs1 11-17-22 04:36 AM

There are some seriously tall guys here.

KonAaron Snake 11-17-22 06:57 AM

Love it!

mikemowbz 11-20-22 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm still waiting on a sunny day above 0ºC to take some more detailed pics.

merziac - I like your style! The monostay on that Strawberry is rad, puts me in mind of some of the drool-worthy work of Vancouver's own Chris DeKerf.

mikemowbz 07-18-23 03:42 PM

With iffy winter weather, this bike went up on the wall for a bit not long after I initially posted this thread - but has been fun riding this summer, and I've finally got around to fitting a Berthoud bag, mounted w/ R Herse decaleur:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d24c7e19_k.jpgIMG_1563 by Mike Mowbz, on Flickr

Realizing I'd promised some detail shots when this thread was initially active!:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...536fa4d9_k.jpgIMG_1564 by Mike Mowbz, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b841a628_k.jpgIMG_1569 by Mike Mowbz, on Flickr

Force 07-18-23 03:54 PM

Very nice!

Lascauxcaveman 07-18-23 11:16 PM

Damn, Mike That bike is all you.

Crazy beautiful fillet brazed goodness there. Lovely details.

merziac 07-18-23 11:37 PM

Sure do wish DD was still here to weigh in some more. :mad:

Millstone 07-19-23 01:41 AM

I think that if I could only own one bike, I'd want to have this one. Seriously beautiful! :love:

mikemowbz 07-19-23 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 22957541)
Sure do wish DD was still here to weigh in some more. :mad:

What happened to Jeff? I haven't been around here much in the past 6 months...

mikemowbz 07-19-23 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 22957532)
Damn, Mike That bike is all you.

Crazy beautiful fillet brazed goodness there. Lovely details.

Thanks, Tim!

There really is lots to love when you start looking closely at the details on this frame set.

Really fortunate to have come into this one (went all the way to PDX to get it!), and glad I put in the time to be choosy (every bit the perfectionist) when it came to the build.

Originally Posted by Millstone (Post 22957557)
I think that if I could only own one bike, I'd want to have this one. Seriously beautiful! :love:

Thank you! It was one of those "yup, that one!" moments when I spotted this frame available a mere 300 miles away from me...and made it happen.

Thankfully I don't have to abide by that "one bike" rule...but this would be a strong contender if I did!

ThermionicScott 07-19-23 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikemowbz (Post 22958521)
What happened to Jeff? I haven't been around here much in the past 6 months...

I don’t know the whole story, but he requested to be banned. I miss him, too.

mikemowbz 07-19-23 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22958579)
I don’t know the whole story, but he requested to be banned. I miss him, too.

Bummer. One of my favourite people on the Forum. Always had a cool project on the go and kind word for most everyone, as well as a deep well of knowledge regarding many things C&V.

georges1 07-19-23 11:51 PM

Very nice randonneuse and Gilles Berthoud was and is one very reputated french framebuilder Marque Gilles Berthoud.
What does Berthoud produce:
Road bike, tourer, tandem
Steel bike
Standard and custom sizes
Shop sales

A little history
It's in the Ain region, near Tournus (and its bicycle museum!) that Gilles Berthoud makes beautiful steel bikes. Gilles Berthoud started out as a frame builder in 1977. In the mid-80s, he expanded his business to include the manufacture of parts and accessories, bike panniers, and especially in the 2000s, polished stainless steel mudguards and sublime leather saddles.
But today, Gilles Berthoud is in the process of handing over the reins to Philippe Marguet, an investor with a passion for bicycles, who will take over the company and ensure its continuity. It was in this context that Vincent Crétin joined the Berthoud team, after a period spent working in a cycle store in the Netherlands and training at the Bicycle Academy in England. Looking for an internship, he was offered a great opportunity to work for free at Berthoud in exchange for lodging, and to learn.

Berthoud today
Berthoud is like the Vieux Campeur of cycling! You'll find complete, high-quality equipment, like randonneuse .
Traditional craftsmanship combines with modern computer-aided design to guarantee precision and reliability. The Berthoud company is made up of a handful of proud craftsmen, one of the few companies able to offer machines with so many components and accessories designed and manufactured under the same roof, with quality, durability and elegance in mind.
With customized measurements, bikes are assembled on an in-house marble for positioning, assembly and frame checking. Standard or made-to-measure touring or racing bikes are offered, with almost infinite combinations of enameling and equipment.
Of particular note at Berthoud is the magnificent workmanship of leather and canvas panniers using artisanal saddlery methods, combining strength and suppleness of leather, manufacture and repair.
"Your visit will be our best reward," reads the Berthoud bikes website.

Favourites, tricks of the trade, anecdotes: luggage racks
For long trips, the luggage rack is a crucial component of the touring bike. It's an exogenous support that must inspire confidence in its user; a luggage rack is like taking home with you.
"Luggage racks receive the same attention as frames. The tubes, bent on a special machine of our own manufacture, are then set at the angle of the marble. The various tubes are marked in position on the frame for custom-made models, or on a template for standard models. The assembly is then disassembled, welded in the air, planed again on the marble and reassembled on the frame or template for a final check before powder coating", reads the Berthoud bikes website.