Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Advice on 2 Bike Hitch Carrier (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224879)

frjeff 03-02-21 08:58 AM

Advice on 2 Bike Hitch Carrier

Trying to narrow down a decent, budget friendly 2 bike platform bike carrier for our sixthreezero EVRYJourney bikes.
Debating between the Swagman Chinook and theHollywood Sport Rider.

Any suggestions are welcome.

leob1 03-02-21 09:45 AM

I had a Hollywood, you have to be careful that you have the hook over the top tube securely, and the it and the frame are clean, and the padding doesn't have a hole, and any cables that are routed on the top of the top tube are padded under the cable. Or you will scratch the frame.
Check graigslist for used racks.

frjeff 03-02-21 10:04 AM

Bike Carrier

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 21948452)
I had a Hollywood, you have to be careful that you have the hook over the top tube securely, and the it and the frame are clean, and the padding doesn't have a hole, and any cables that are routed on the top of the top tube are padded under the cable. Or you will scratch the frame.
Check graigslist for used racks.

Thank you for the good advice!

Rolla 03-02-21 10:26 AM

Of the two you're considering, the Swagman seems more robust, but personally, I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)

mstateglfr 03-02-21 10:32 AM

I quickly googled that brand since it is not exactly one I keep up with and it looks like the bikes have fenders.
Most tray(platform) racks hook to the tire, which isnt OK with fenders.

The 2 you specifically ask about are frame connecting so thats great. The Swagman Dispatch is another option. Someone I ride with has a Dispatch and their bike hasnt fallen off yet so it clearly works.

Elvo 03-02-21 10:35 AM

Allen AR200

frjeff 03-02-21 10:50 AM

Fender Issue

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 21948537)
Of the two you're considering, the Swagman seems more robust, but personally, I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)

Thinking front and rear fenders on our bikes will not play well with the Thansfer v2.However, their chat fellow said it will if I stick a piece of pool noodle between thee fender and the wheel hook. Not sure that is the most wise method.

Rolla 03-02-21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by frjeff (Post 21948601)
Thinking front and rear fenders on our bikes will not play well with the Thansfer v2.However, their chat fellow said it will if I stick a piece of pool noodle between thee fender and the wheel hook. Not sure that is the most wise method.

Ah. Yes, fenders do add some limitations. The pool noodle idea is probably sound, but could be expensive if it isn't. For freeway or moderate off-road driving, I'd want something more foolproof.

Altair 4 03-02-21 02:46 PM

I have the older version of the Transfer 2 and my bike has SKS chromoplastic fenders. The rear fender is no issue at all, since the adjusting hook captures the front wheel. To be honest, I just push the retaining hook down on top of the fender until it's in firm contact with the tire. I know it's not advised. So far, no problem. I've driven hundreds of miles like this on interstate and two lane blacktops with no sign of imminent problems. Dunno if I'd want to do that off road, though. YMMV.

Koyote 03-02-21 07:44 PM

I would recommend a half-section of pipe insulation between the fender and tire -- i.e., under the fender. That way, the clamp can hold the wheel in place firmly without stressing the fender.

Anything you place above the fender is likely going to blow away at highway speeds, and then your clamp will be loose.

Doug64 03-02-21 10:25 PM

This is our hitch mount Thule rack. Our touring bikes have racks and fenders, which make a cross tube anchor point necessary. I purchased it from this company, and am well satisfied by the service and the rack's quality: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks.aspx

The first time we used ours was on a 5,000 mile (round trip) road trip to get to the start of a 2 month tour. Unfortunately, I could not find it in recent catalogs.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6065950c_c.jpg

Doc_Wui 03-02-21 10:59 PM

I have a Swagman XTC2, which isn't rated for two 40 lb bikes, but what I like about it are the loops for holding the tires. I think they are more secure than the baskets used on the Swagman Chinook. SO I'd pick the Hollywood because it has the same type of loops,
Yes, I had my bikes fall off once, but I had a bike chain/lock looped around the frames and rack, and that just happened to keep them from scraping the pavement, The tires remained lashed in the loops too, I didn't pin the center strut that hooks onto the frames, and what do you know, the J hooks got slack, and it folded flat on its own.

Snotrub 03-03-21 08:36 AM

I just purchased a Chinook. It does the job well, doesn't move around too much and is very stable. I don't mind the frame hook, but I do put a microfiber towel around the top tube where the hook meets the frame, just to keep any wear to a minimum. I would recommend.

frjeff 03-03-21 10:16 AM

Swagman Chinook

Originally Posted by Snotrub (Post 21949986)
I just purchased a Chinook. It does the job well, doesn't move around too much and is very stable. I don't mind the frame hook, but I do put a microfiber towel around the top tube where the hook meets the frame, just to keep any wear to a minimum. I would recommend.

Thanks; you helped me decide on this one.

rut3556 04-24-21 05:48 AM

>>I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)<<

I started out wanting the Transfer 2, but the more I look into it the more I want the Sherpa 2 instead.