Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   What Does Your Username Mean? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171496)

Biker395 04-26-19 09:39 AM

What Does Your Username Mean?

There is a thread on the general forums about this, but not in the 50+ group.

I was just curious about our usernames. How did you pick yours and what is it's meaning to you?

I can tell you mine. I set off to create an email account that I was going to use when I expected to get spammed, and tried to get the name "Biker."

Not surprisingly, that was taken, so I was offered all kinds of variants:

Biker[my zip code], Biker[year], Biker[123], that kind of thing.

And it occurred to me that the number that meant the most to me was 395, for US395, the road that travels through the Eastern Sierra. That was available, so I took it. And surprisingly, THAT email didn't get any spam (I'm thinking whoever spams people prefers to use email addys that have names in them), so I used it as a primary email addy. That moved on to using the Biker395 moniker for a lot of things, and for better or worse, it has become associated with me.

So what about you and yours? How/why did you pick your user name?

Hondo Gravel 04-26-19 09:42 AM

Mine is fairly obvious I like to ride gravel roads.

rando_couche 04-26-19 09:52 AM

I am a once and future randonneur (French: too dumb to know when to quit) who used to ride a recumbent (velo couche in French). Guess I was just attempting to appear sophisticated (HA!)

GadgetGirlIL 04-26-19 09:53 AM

A friend gave me the GadgetGirl portion of my username over 20 years ago. At time it referred more to my collection of computers and related gizmos. Now it refers more to my various gizmos (GPS units, lights, apps, etc.) that I use for biking and hiking. Since GadgetGirl was taken when I signed up here, I just added my state.

TimothyH 04-26-19 09:57 AM

Timothy means "To honor God."

Flip Flop Rider 04-26-19 10:14 AM

wearing flip flops when riding whenever possible

roybatythighs 04-26-19 10:42 AM

Roy Baty thighs

Roy Baty is a character from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick. The character was played by Rutger Hauer in the film adaptation "Blade Runner" though given an extra t (Batty)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9da40e3ed7.jpg

caloso 04-26-19 10:46 AM

cal (California, my home state, and the the University thereof, my alma mter) + oso (bear, sp.)

rydabent 04-26-19 10:55 AM

Mine pretty much explains itself.

79pmooney 04-26-19 11:04 AM

My first custom, a Peter Mooney ordered October 1978, delivered in May of '79.

I had that bike built to be my link to sanity through the crazy post-head injury years. Since I did not know where I would be living, this bike was designed to be ridden in the 48 stated 12 months of the year. So clearances for big tires, both 700c and 27" (1978 - what was the standard going to be and could I even find 700c in say backwater Maine), room for fenders. The bike had to be fast on the road and group rides, be able to tour, go off-road, climb, be a good all-day bike.

I realized year two the bike was named "Pete"; not for the builder or my brother or uncle, all of whom go by Peter and I have never heard called Pete. Since then it has done all of these thing except going 27". Recently it's been a fix gear. (I spec'd horizontal dropouts in the early days of verticals just so I could if I ever wanted to.) As a fix gear it is a classic English roadster. Now I am going to strip the fix gear drivetrain off and rebuild it to ride the Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder in 2 months.

Pete is 1500 miles short of 50,000. We have shared lives.

Ben

FiftySix 04-26-19 11:05 AM

I have a Mazda 5 that seats 6 people. I named it 56 and have the username FiftySix at a Mazda car forum.

I figured I'd use the same username here, even though I am 54 years old. :o

Daspydyr 04-26-19 11:27 AM

Mine is a throwback to when I was skinny and played baseball. I was Da Spider, as I caught almost everything that came my way. That was a long time ago.

mercator 04-26-19 11:30 AM

Mercator is the name a famous cartographer took for himself in the 16th century.
I'm not famous, but I've been making maps all my life.

wphamilton 04-26-19 11:37 AM

Initials and real name, it means that I'm not going to post something that I'd be ashamed of.

Mtl01 04-26-19 12:06 PM

Mtl01 just short for Montreal.

Any hockey fan will recognize the avatar, lol.

Carbonfiberboy 04-26-19 12:07 PM

Old nickname bestowed by my riding group when I was the first to buy an all-carbon bike and loved it. Everyone else was ordering custom steel. They don't ride those custom bikes anymore but I still ride my carbon, so it's still deserved.

john m flores 04-26-19 01:45 PM

Umm...I'm boring...

DowneasTTer 04-26-19 01:50 PM

Mine is from back in the early days of ebay you could use your email address as your ebay id. Somewhere around 2001 or so they changed their policy. I needed a new id like yesterday. Not being particularly clever I came up with DowneasTTer. I was living in downeast Maine at the time and just bought a new Audit TT roadster so.... Anyway not being particularly clever.... I still use today. Oh while now living in North Central F,l I still have an Audi TT.

Moe Zhoost 04-26-19 02:15 PM

My name is something I am always looking for. If you haven't figured it out already, say my name to a French speaker and they will let you know what it means.

MichaPau 04-26-19 02:31 PM

Mine is a junction of my first name and the French word 'chapeau' (hat). Micha-Pau ('eau' written as 'au' pronounced like 'o' in English).
Someone in France gave me that name because I was wearing a hat (which I normally don't) and because it rhymes with beau (beautiful) which was more a compliment than an actual fact... any-ways.. I live now in that country....

fietsbob 04-26-19 02:33 PM

I used Dutch word for bicycle (visited a few times, not native)

Champlaincycler 04-26-19 02:51 PM

I look out my window at Lake Champlain, all rides begin and end with a brief ride along the lake.

2cam16 04-26-19 03:46 PM

It goes way back to my Toyota car days. I had a couple with the 4AG engine. Twin cam,16V. Hence the 2cam16.

jppe 04-26-19 04:00 PM

Initials of my first and last name + Professional Engineer (PE). Just thought it had a nice ring to it.

Some of my drinking buddies call me JP as I guess we all had nick names. One of my buddies is Pinhead".......

jppe 04-26-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Champlaincycler (Post 20902437)
I look out my window at Lake Champlain, all rides begin and end with a brief ride along the lake.

We are staying in Westport in July as a part of the FANY ride. Starting in Plattsburgh that day. Headed to Fair Haven the next day.

Familiar with the area?