Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Power Meters (Why?) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186728)

bruce19 10-28-19 05:00 PM

I also don't need a Fitbit to tell me how many steps I took in a day. WTF.

caloso 10-28-19 05:08 PM

A powermeter is also a good way to get on Zwift or Trainerroad. Which makes indoor training bearable which means you're more likely to do it over the winter, which means you'll be fitter in the spring.

wolfchild 10-28-19 05:56 PM

I am a commuter, mountain biker, gravel grinder, recreational rider. I ride for my own pleasure and enjoyment and I don't care about watts, power output, calorie burn or any other data.

wolfchild 10-28-19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy (Post 21182317)
I don’t race bikes. Why do I need one?

Even if you did race you still wouldn't need one.

N00b_Cyclist 10-28-19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 21184300)
I also don't need a Fitbit to tell me how many steps I took in a day. WTF.

Very true. I use Garmin though...and I certainly don't need it. It just keeps telling me how out of shape I am. :)

mstateglfr 10-28-19 09:43 PM

If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.

mstateglfr 10-28-19 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21184558)
If I even detect a whiff of this turning into a power meter/technology bashing session, I'll just close it and be done with it. Just FYI.

Yes, because we all must either voice an opinion of support for a topic a mod supports or not voice anything at all.

Dont worry, it isnt power meters that I'm bashing.

N00b_Cyclist 10-28-19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21184709)
If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.

I guess if you are riding multiple bikes simultaneously that would be an issue. But aren't pedal based power meters that way so that you don't have to own 1 per bike? Just swap the pedals and go or something like that. I could be wrong...but the Assioma Duo advertises itself as that very solution. Only about $550 with discount. :)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21184717)
Yes, because we all must either voice an opinion of support for a topic a mod supports or not voice anything at all.

Dont worry, it isnt power meters that I'm bashing.

I was a bit curious about this...seeing as there are plenty of threads going around BASHING particular bike companies and linking articles that at a minimum would be seen as non-pc, political and inflammatory in nature. But meh...

mstateglfr 10-28-19 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist (Post 21184726)
I guess if you are riding multiple bikes simultaneously that would be an issue. But aren't pedal based power meters that way so that you don't have to own 1 per bike? Just swap the pedals and go or something like that. I could be wrong...but the Assioma Duo advertises itself as that very solution. Only about $550 with discount. :)

I cant imagine changing pedals for every bike I have and want to ride at any given time. Or really, i cant imagine swapping pedals even for the 3 bikes i ride most frequently. Of that is a thing, then more power to those who take the time to do so, but I dislike even moving a saddle bag from bike to bike so each has one with corresponding tube, levers, etc.
Also, I use mtb spds and the power meter pedals I've seen are road. I'm guessing they make mtb pedals too though. Road shoes on gravel isnt appealing.

Perhaps I should look around at options as it's been since early spring since I last looked. Maybe there is now a great option.

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist (Post 21184726)
I was a bit curious about this...seeing as there are plenty of threads going around BASHING particular bike companies and linking articles that at a minimum would be seen as non-pc, political and inflammatory in nature. But meh...

Exactly. It seems so arbitrary to threaten to take issue with bashing this one topic but not all the others.
Oh well.

Drew Eckhardt 10-28-19 10:54 PM

To maximize training efficiency and pace for the fastest sustainable effort.

With no desire to go fast you don't need one.

bpcyclist 10-28-19 11:57 PM

In my opinion, they are just too expensive for the value they provide. And I ride a ton. But I'd rather get some new wheels. Or a super nice rain jacket and more winter gear. But that's just me. I know tons of people really value their power meters.

pickettt 10-29-19 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by hubcyclist (Post 21183352)

I see a lot of people always asking about wheels and such to gain speed, but if people invested in a power meter (cheaper than a lot of wheelsets people look for) and incorporated at least a little structure to riding they'd probably see bigger gains in their riding experience than they would through wheels.

Unfortunately, nowadays people just want to buy improvements....which is why they don’t improve.

N00b_Cyclist 10-29-19 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by pickettt (Post 21184863)
Unfortunately, nowadays people just want to buy improvements....which is why they don’t improve.

Wait, what?? You're telling me that an e-bike isn't the solution to me being slow? ;)

livedarklions 10-29-19 04:31 AM

I've never used one and I ride plenty fast over very long distances. I'm not racing, so I don't care about monitoring fuel and just go fast when I feel like it, and slow down a bit when I don't. What I like about cycling is that it makes intense exercise feel like play. Focusing on a bunch of data and planning my efforts would just kill that for me.

I don't know if that qualifies as a whiff of technology bashing, but op is asking if the meter is needed. I haven't found a need for it, and I think I'd dislike actually having one. For me, I've managed to get to a very high level of fitness without any formal training and extremely minimal monitoring. I monitor time, speed, distance and elevation. I'm pretty systematic about training in the gym during off-season, but treating the bike as play lets me put in about twice as many hours on it than I'm able to tolerate at the gym.

livedarklions 10-29-19 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt (Post 21184786)
To maximize training efficiency and pace for the fastest sustainable effort.

With no desire to go fast you don't need one.

That's incorrect. It may be necessary to maximize fastest sustainable pace, which is really a racing consideration, but it's absolutely not necessary to go fast.

robnol 10-29-19 05:30 AM

they are a giant waste of money.....

downhillmaster 10-29-19 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21184558)
If I even detect a whiff of this turning into a power meter/technology bashing session, I'll just close it and be done with it. Just FYI.

Did I miss the list of accessories that are and aren’t allowed to be bashed?

sdmc530 10-29-19 07:26 AM

You don't NEED one, you don't really need a lot of things we all have on our rides.

however people just like them for many reasons. I have one on my main riding road bike. Its a great little tool and its just plain fun. I wish I had the cash to put them on my 2 other bikes but I can't afford that. Said that I will always have one on my daily road bike. I certainly don't NEED it but I like it and think its a great training tool. I do a couple of races, nothing serious, even besides that I would still have one power meter. They are just really cool!

I also didn't need new wheels, a fancy bike computer, a second, third bike, heck a carbon bike...this can go on and on?

indyfabz 10-29-19 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 21184926)
Did I miss the list of accessories that are and aren’t allowed to be bashed?

My guess is that it at least includes anything powered by electricity, like e-bikes and SRAM e-tap, new lights technology, etc., etc., etc. Hope we are still free to bash frame materials, LBS and MUPs. :innocent:

DrIsotope 10-29-19 07:32 AM

Cycling as a pursuit is an exercise in wants. There are no needs, because the entire activity is optional-- a person could go from the cradle to the grave without ever touching feet to pedals and live an undiminished life.

So as has been stated (by myself included) a power meter is not a necessity. Nothing accessory related to cycling is a necessity, that's why they're accessories. Wants, not needs.

Where an issue occurs is where certain parties start to forward the notion that the collection/analysis of data somehow threatens the Zen of cycling as a pursuit. The tacit suggestion that anyone who dares take cycling away from it's origins in purity is doing it wrong.

This thread has already started drifting in that direction.

hubcyclist 10-29-19 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21185055)
Where an issue occurs is where certain parties start to forward the notion that the collection/analysis of data somehow threatens the Zen of cycling as a pursuit. The tacit suggestion that anyone who dares take cycling away from it's origins in purity is doing it wrong.

totally agree, I think there's a subset of folks who are so anti anything that resembles "racing" (even if it means training seriously just to be a better recreational cyclist like a lot of people I know). And I think there's much more negative sentiment against the "racer" types than the other way around. I train and race and I have never heard anyone in my circle badmouthing purely recreational cyclists.

NoWhammies 10-29-19 08:06 AM

As others have said, you don't need one.

I had my first season with a PM this year and I enjoyed looking at the data though. And as the summer progressed, I found myself looking more at the power I was putting out and less my speed.

Kapusta 10-29-19 08:11 AM

No, you don’t need one.

But if you think that getting that sort of feedback and data will make things more interesting and motivating then go ahead and get one.

A lot of people I know that do not race (or even specifically train) record their mileage, time, and elevation. I guess power output is similar.

HarborBandS 10-29-19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by honcho (Post 21182841)
I'm still waiting for power meter pedals usable with mountain style spd cleats so I can put two sets on our tandem to figure out our individual contributions. Supposedly, such pedals are coming "real soon now."

Is this a reference to the long-delayed IQ^2 power meter Kickstarter project?

HarborBandS 10-29-19 08:16 AM

I have become more interested in my power input after using a Wahoo smart trainer, which continuously broadcasts your power output.

And if you're like me, and recycle a lot of the same outdoor routes over and over, a power meter can be a fun way to track progress.