Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Armstrong Positive test for epo? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=132748)

BLISS 08-23-05 03:44 AM

Armstrong Positive test for epo

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/DOPAGE_ARMSTRONG.html

Best I can make out EPO test came in 2001 they went back and tested samples from 1999 which are indicating positive for EPO

socalrider 08-23-05 03:55 AM

Here is the article converted to English:

I never had recourse to prohibited products, that it is the illicit EPO or all other substances "(the TEAM of April 10, 2001). Vis-a-vis with this assertion, many times reiterated, sometimes matched one "it is you, to journalists, to determine you, say if I lie or if I say the truth" (in these same columns, July 22, 1999), the TEAM is able today to contradict the victorious septuple of the Turn of France, and to answer him. Yes, of the recent analyses practised on samples dating from the first Turn of victorious France of the American in 1999, show that Lance Armstrong already consumed doping products.

Yes, of the recent analyses practised on samples dating from the first Turn of victorious France of the American in 1999, show that Lance Armstrong already consumed products dopants.

Après four months of investigation, whose exit proved to be posterior one month to its seventh sacring on the Fields-Elysées and to its sporting retirement, the facts are indisputable: the leader of Discovery Channel, during six seasons with the US head Postal one, already regularly used products prohibited in 1999 and would thus have lied on this not-consumption in competition. By six times, at the time of the controls carried out at the end of its victorious prologue to Puy-of-Insane, July 3, 1999, and of the stages Montaigu - Challans (1st), Large-Bornand - Sestrières (9th), Sestrières - Alpe d' Huez (10th), Saint-Galmier - Saint-Flour (12e) and Castrate - Saint-Gaudens (14e), his samples, analyzed retrospectively by the national Laboratory of tracking of the doping of Châtenay-Malabry (LNDD), are marked by the signature of this hormone of synthesis, which, by the means of an increase in the population of red globules, allows a better muscular oxygenation and a possible profit of performances that to 30 maximum.

oboeguy 08-23-05 04:11 AM

English

Don't believe it, whatever language.

oboeguy 08-23-05 04:27 AM

http://www.thepaceline.com/members/l....aspx?cid=1510

KrisPistofferson 08-23-05 06:33 AM

That's pretty pathetic. Well, at least all of the haters will get to crawl out from under their rocks and take a few potshots. He was an American who whipped everyone's a** 7 times in a row. Get over it.

2Rodies 08-23-05 06:34 AM

This is a little clearer but none the less damning.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...g05/aug23news3

240GL 08-23-05 06:36 AM

This a very sad day. I would so much have hoped that he was clean; that it was possible to be this good by mere talent and training. I hope that today's news turn out to be false, but it sure doesn't look good so far.
Erling.

BLISS 08-23-05 06:41 AM

There are a lot of big name speaking out

Renno Roelandt WADA said that LA IS positive.and that the french lab have done there work perfectly for

Leblanc: 'I'm being carefull but this is alarming! I feel disillusioned, like many sportfans. Do I feel left alone by lance armstrong? Yes!'

DieselDan 08-23-05 06:52 AM

He probably was positve for EPO in '99. '99 wasn't too long after his cancer treatments that included EPO.

pseudobrit 08-23-05 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by DieselDan
He probably was positve for EPO in '99. '99 wasn't too long after his cancer treatments that included EPO.

EPO only shows up for 4 days. He got chemo in '96.

plin 08-23-05 07:12 AM

Although I never believed that Armstrong is clean, I do wonder who he really ticked off in France for them to go after him with samples dating from 1999.

The French paper l'Equipe really is schizophrenic. It glorifies Armstrong 'le Patron', 'le Boss', and at the same time never hesitates to discuss doping allegations. I guess whatever sells the papers. :(

pseudobrit 08-23-05 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by plin
It glorifies Armstrong 'le Patron', 'le Boss', and at the same time never hesitates to discuss doping allegations.

Open minded and skeptical; sounds like good journalisme.

KrisPistofferson 08-23-05 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ben Cousins
Hamilton the drugs cheat won the Olympic road race, are we supposed to 'get over' that?

I'm not even going to argue with you about it, or ask you what Hamilton has to do with this. If your place of work took frozen urine from 6 years ago, found traces of drugs, and reported it to the police AFTER YOU WERE ALREADY RETIRED, you'd probably find that ridiculous. You are obviously one of the haters I was referring to, so no matter what I say, you're going to be obtuse to this obvious smear campaign. Good luck with that. :)

Laggard 08-23-05 07:27 AM

If it were some European with a funny name, no one would doubt it. But because it's Sir Lance it can NOT be true.

And anyone who doesn't pray every night to a poster of Lance is considered a "Lance hater."

TheKillerPenguin 08-23-05 07:27 AM

Regardless of the reason for testing the frozen sample, and regardless of how petty you may find it, it doesnt change the fact that he doped in 99, assuming this is all true.

CdCf 08-23-05 07:28 AM

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'll spit it out anyway.
EPO isn't a substance that builds the body up or produces long-lasting results, right? So, it only has an effect while it's in the system, and maybe for a fairly limited period afterwards (weeks to months?).
If the sports world introduced EPO testing in 2000 or 2001, and Lance has been clean in all tests after that, and still won, what does that say...? :)

But I'm really 50-50 on this one.

I do believe there are "freaks of nature" that once or twice a generation can produce seemingly unreal results.

I also know that top athletes of any sport are under pressure to achieve better, both from outside factors such as sponsors, coaches and fans, and from inside themselves. Using something that is banned, but not possible to test for, is a small step if you don't take fair play too seriously.

Smoothie104 08-23-05 07:32 AM

His former teamate says they all took it, Including LA, The former Sougniuer who was the "heart and soul" of the team per the coach says everyone including LA took it.

He showed positive for a corticosteroid in 1999, former team personel say that they backdated a prescription for it to appease the UCI

In 2000 Postal gets caught tossing empty bags of bovine plasma derivative in the trash, (added to banned list immediatley after)

Now this.. whats the surprise? Every one is on something at the pro level.

Laggard 08-23-05 07:33 AM

You're just a Lance hater, Smoothie.

aham23 08-23-05 07:40 AM

they all freakin do it. the winners the losers in every sport do it. it is the nature of the beast in todays wold of sports. later.

Smoothie104 08-23-05 07:40 AM

and an out of touch conspiracy theorist, lol

KrisPistofferson 08-23-05 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Laggard
If it were some European with a funny name, no one would doubt it. But because it's Sir Lance it can NOT be true.

And anyone who doesn't pray every night to a poster of Lance is considered a "Lance hater."

I assume you're replying to my post. I never said it can NOT be true, just that this is underhanded, and irrelevant. However, I DO assume that those who are completely blind to this are "Lance haters," so if the shoe fits...
If this were some European with a funny name, I would think it was effed up that a foreign press with an obvious axe to grind dug up 6 year old blood samples tainted with what was at that time NOT an illegal substance. Hope that clears things up for you.

Jim Bonnet 08-23-05 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Now this.. whats the surprise? Every one is on something at the pro level.

Is it surprising that the average pro peloton hematocrit level is 49.999 and then normal human population is like 42? LOL!

I agree with Smoothie.

Later,
Jim

Mellowman 08-23-05 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by plin
Although I never believed that Armstrong is clean, I do wonder who he really ticked off in France for them to go after him with samples dating from 1999.
:(

If you read the CN article it says the LNDD Lab tested ALL the B samples from '99 and I would imagine blindly with 12 tests coming up positive (6 of those turing out to be from Armstrong). This was probably done as a benchmark to measure the new test vs. the old test method that had previously given all negatives.

Also, this testing was done in Dec '04. If anything someone in France has been doing Armstrong a BIG favor and had been burying it for 10 months till this years TdF was over. Might explain why Armstrong decided to announce retirement in April and not go for #8.

Anyway, this all depends on this "new" test and we'll see how it holds up to scrutiny or not.

rule 08-23-05 07:46 AM

don't be hatin'

Smoothie104 08-23-05 07:47 AM

LA states that he has never used performance enhancing drugs, which EPO is, whether it was banned in 1999 or not.