Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Who got a nice labor day ride in today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=136196)

badcompany9 09-05-05 04:13 PM

Who got a nice labor day ride in today?

Such a beautiful day here in Richmond. Not too hot, not too humid and sunny. There was a bit of wind, but the day was too nice to care about it.

Started out by warming up by taking a slow, relaxed pace for about 10 miles, then switching to a brisk pace for another 10. Then I spent about 25 more miles just cruising around Richmond's southside.

No flats, only one motorist that yelled and the most serious problem was having chain suck and getting the chain stuck on one of the bolts that secures the small chain ring to the crank. It had backed out a bit, and some work with an allen key fixed that. Many thanks to the two cyclists who offered help, I appreciated it. I also want to thank the little kid and his father that set up a lemonade stand to get donations for Katrina victims. The energy gained from the cookies and lemonade helped me on my way home.

So, does anyone else want to share their ride?

gcasillo 09-05-05 04:17 PM

Rode down to Home Depot to snag some Goof Off and clean up the aftermath of a poor attempt at gluing a tubular tire onto a rim. :( The ride to HD was nice though. :)

HWS 09-05-05 04:19 PM

Had a great ride myself. Took out the hybrid and rode 7 miles to the MUT. 25 miles on that looking all the scenery (ladies...thank you). Hopped off the MUT and 10 more miles home. Fantastic weather, lots of folks out riding and the usual amount of cars (all were more polite than usual).

cydewaze 09-05-05 04:22 PM

Since my road bike is no longer with us, I went offroad. Don't have a comp on the thing, but I did 6 hrs of single track.

My butt is sore.

garysol1 09-05-05 04:24 PM

Had a great morning on the bike. The wife wanted to ride a bit so we loaded the bikes up on the rack and drove the truck out to an area where there ae lots of bike lanes. My wife is still a newbie and she gets terified of busy roads. So we unloaded and rode a 15 mile loop together. It was a very nice ride...16mph or so with no problems. On the way back in we rode passed a rider who had a flat so we stopped to help. He had been there for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get the tube back in. So we helped him out and finished our ride. I decided at that point to load the wife's bike on the rack and let her drive home while I took some back roads home on the bike. Overall I rode about 35 miles....not to fast. Just a nice peaceful morning on the bike. Weather was mid 80's with a bit of humidity......just enough to make ya sweat.

eric1508 09-05-05 04:29 PM

I just did a quick but hilly ride (with my road bike) that I like that helps me work on more aggressive spinning. Then my wife and I took our mountain bikes on our normal evening ride around some of the quiet neighborhoods of our town. Unfortunately she had a fall while going up on a curb and hurt her wrist a little bit. But she was OK and we finished our ride. It was another gorgeous sunny day with little wind or humidity and a perfect temperature. The only thing I don't like about weather like this is knowing that it won't be around for long. But don't get me wrong, I appreciate the heck out it!:)

garysol1 09-05-05 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by eric1508
Unfortunately she had a fall while going up on a curb and hurt her wrist a little bit. But she was OK and we finished our ride.

Glad she is OK! Thats a fear of mine. The wife falling while we ride together. I feel like I am responsible for her safety.

mike32 09-05-05 04:46 PM

It was a gorgeous day here in Colorado. I Rode 80 miles in the foothills north of Boulder in preparation for a century next weekend. Beautiful!

Jake B 09-05-05 04:49 PM

I did a ride on the course I will be racing on Sunday. I did 14 laps(22 Miles), but my race will be 5(8 Miles) It will be my first race...and I will be in the Junior 10-14 category.

Jake

Olebiker 09-05-05 04:49 PM

Thank goodness I have friends who like to get out early. While my wife slept in I picked up a friend and carpooled to the St. Mark's Trail, south of Tallahassee. We met at Wakulla Station where some friends from Sopchoppy met us. Those are real names folks, in the Florida panhandle. We rode down to the St. Mark's Wildlife Refuge and took a break at the St. Mark's Lighthouse. When we turned around to head out of the refuge a serious headwind had picked up. It took a paceline just to ride 16 mph.

A couple of other groups had the same idea and rode to the lighthouse. One of the faster groups caught us and we hopped on the back of their paceline. It is just so fine to be rolling along at 23 mph and still being able to carry on a conversation. As we approached Wakulla Station, though, some of the less experienced riders started setting up for a sprint to the BP station. The pushing, shoving and bumping got a little too intense so we dropped off the back and cruised to the end of the ride.

Forty-three miles before lunch with good friends.... life is sweet.

Jakey 09-05-05 04:49 PM

Had an awesome ride through vinyards, christmas tree farms and little towns.

samp02 09-05-05 04:50 PM

Beautiful day in CT. About 20 miles in.:)

wildjim 09-05-05 04:52 PM

My ride today into Baltimore City

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=136204

Wil Davis 09-05-05 04:59 PM

It being such a gorgeous day, I should have started earlier, but didn't get going until one o'clock, and then took a leisurely ride keeping off the busy roads. Avoided the local bike path (Nashua River Bike Trail) as I though it would be crowded, being a holiday and all. Did my 15 mile loop up into Hollis NH, and on the way back, thought I'd take another look at the bike trail. Fewer cars now, so I headed south on the bike trail, with the intention of going to Ayer (end of NRBT) and then heading home via back roads to get a nice ride, without going back up the bike-trail, which can be slow when it's very busy. I got about halfway along, and came across some friends so I rode with them for a while. Got to the end of the trail (Ayer). Mooched around in Ayer for a while, and then headed back along the bike trail. My plan was now to ride back to Hollis (end of NRBT) with my friends, and then head back home, again avoiding the main roads, making a total ride of around 50+ miles. Well, about a mile or so from Hollis, my bike suddenly felt very strange - it was behaving as if the front was disconnected from the back - with a distinctive "wiggle" - most odd, but the cause of the problem became obvious when I felt the back tyre - it was losing air - not very quickly but quickly enough! Bummer! Still, I had a spare tube, and one CO2 cartridge, and no pump, and no puncture repair kit. It was a simple job to swap tubes, but no sooner had I inflated the tyre (with my only CO2 bottle…), then the tyre went down, rather quickly… bummer! bummer! Luckily I was less than a mile from the end of the trail, and I had my cell-phone with me. I called a cab which got to the end of the trail only two minutes before I did (thanks Jen for having the phone # committed to memory!). Thanks Andy for finding the source of the original puncture (two tiny pinch holes, almost impossible to see… ah! if only I'd brought along a repair kit & some air or more CO2). So, my ride ended up being ~39 miles with the balance being ridden in a big yellow taxi, with the bike in the trunk.

Lessons:
(1) always take repair kit
(2) always take pump or extra CO2
(3) Always make sure that the spare you carry is in good shape, and that the valve isn't just about to break away from the tube.

Still, it was a great ride, especially riding with friends - my rides are usually solo - I'd forgotten just how much fun there is to be had in group riding!

- Wil

PS: Lesson # (4) jogging in bike shoes with Look Cleats (with covers) is much, much easier than walking in them!

mirona 09-05-05 05:02 PM

I had a fun ride. I did a test run of my commute that I will start tomorrow. Packed my 3 big *** textbooks into my backpack with a lock and other assorted tools, and off I went! Made it to the school in record time at 56 minutes! Okay, so the record was 54, but that was on my other bike! So, dropped the lock off at the rack to use tomorrow. Mmmm can't wait, 32 mile round trip 5 days a week.

cheebahmunkey 09-05-05 05:05 PM

it was a really nice day early on (low-mid 80's) so I got in around 27 miles. It was a great ride. Maybe the best one I've ever taken. :D

skinnyone 09-05-05 05:05 PM

I was sick the whole weekend... :sad:... The weather here today was BEAUTIFUL... Doesnt get much better... Blows that I couldnt ride today...

douchebagonwhlz 09-05-05 05:06 PM

I gotta get off the couch!

Hickabod 09-05-05 05:07 PM

I had a nice ride this afternoon with what seemed like an omnidirectional headwind. It was fun to have invisible hills sneaking up on me. What a workout.

Miniklobb 09-05-05 05:07 PM

Tried but the chain has a bent link, seat got loose, and some stupid kid leaned out of a car and tried to hit me so i was way to pissed to keep riding.

'nother 09-05-05 05:07 PM

Beautiful ride out to the coast and back. Started early (7-ish), perhaps a bit too early, as it was a bit cool descending out. Warmed up by 9 but not too warm for climbing. All in all, not too bad, 55 miles and about 5000 feet of climbing. Lots of cyclists out today!

cheebahmunkey 09-05-05 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hickabod
I had a nice ride this afternoon with what seemed like an omnidirectional headwind. It was fun to have invisible hills sneaking up on me. What a workout.

:lol: same here

cyclezealot 09-05-05 05:09 PM

Today was slightly on the warm side for the later half of a 58 mile ride..Rode with a friend to the hills east of town..Traffic less than normal..In a rush, did not put on sun tan lotion..Sun bright...Can tell now, My cyclist tan will really shin tomorrow.

Panic 09-05-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by samp02
Beautiful day in CT. About 20 miles in.:)

Where in CT?

Rode 30 miles in the Farmington Valley area, challenged the hill I hate and did much better. Was planning on a 20, but was so close to the hill I wanted another piece of it.

The bike path was super congested, nearly hit by a small kid with training wheels as his dad let him go after I called out "Coming up, on your left", Dad looks at me, skates another couple of strides, then lets the kid cut me off. Odd.

All in all a great ride, and I'm skinnier because of it.

KevinF 09-05-05 05:40 PM

It was a glorious weekend here in the Boston area. Did 65 on Saturday around some of the Metro West suburbs (kinda hilly), and then 75 on Sunday around the Mt. Wachusett area (pretty hilly), and then 40 gently rolling miles today. So much for the original plan of "just taking it easy" this weekend!