Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rack for bikes with fenders (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195118)

Koyote 03-03-20 08:45 PM

Rack for bikes with fenders

Hi all. Perhaps there is a better subforum for this, but I didn’t see one. I’m looking for a hitch-mounted bike rack that will safely accommodate bikes with fenders. Seems like most of the good ones have the swing arm that clamps down on the front wheels (like this one) which will not be very friendly to fendered bikes.

All suggestions appreciated!

JanMM 03-03-20 10:33 PM

Yakima Two Timer works with bikes with fenders.

TomJD 03-04-20 07:10 AM

Swagman G10

I bought one of these last year for exactly this reason. A short length of pipe insulation helps provide additional top tube cushioning and protection. I have used it for local as well as day long interstate trips and am quite pleased.

​​​​

Koyote 03-04-20 07:24 AM

JanMM and TomJD :Thanks for the recommendations. I note that the rack has an arm that clamps over the top tube. Have either of you had issues with scratches or other paint damage?

TomJD 03-04-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21352630)
JanMM and TomJD :Thanks for the recommendations. I note that the rack has an arm that clamps over the top tube. Have either of you had issues with scratches or other paint damage?

No, that's why I place a short length of pipe insulation around the top tube where the clamp contacts it. Easy!

Nyah 03-04-20 04:43 PM

Any reasonably stocked bicycle shop should have numerous racks that are compatible with fenders. The bicycle itself is where the incompatibility would exist, as some do not have eyelets for racks.

mr_bill 03-04-20 05:02 PM

If you don’t want a rack that touches the frame, look at:

Saris Superclamp family
Thule Helium Platform (?)

Fender friendly wheel clamps and no pipe insulation required.

-mr. bill

Koyote 03-04-20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21353427)
If you don’t want a rack that touches the frame, look at:

Saris Superclamp family
Thule T2 family

Fender friendly wheel clamps and no pipe insulation required.

-mr. bill

Those both appear to be precisely the type of rack that I would like to avoid: that clamp on the front wheel will damage a fender, I believe. Unless I am missing something?

mr_bill 03-04-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21353653)
Those both appear to be precisely the type of rack that I would like to avoid: that clamp on the front wheel will damage a fender, I believe. Unless I am missing something?

Read The Manual.

The clamps on the front wheel at 10:00 will NOT damage a fender. On the rear wheel, use a wheel strap.

If you don’t want to touch your tire, wheel, or frame get a rack where you remove the front wheel and clamp through the fork. If you don’t want to do that, I’m stumped.

-mr. bill

Koyote 03-04-20 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21353668)
Read The Manual.

The clamps on the front wheel at 10:00 will NOT damage a fender. On the rear wheel, use a wheel strap.

If you don’t want to touch your tire, wheel, or frame get a rack where you remove the front wheel and clamp through the fork. If you don’t want to do that, I’m stumped.

-mr. bill

Are you saying the clamp will be on the tire rather than the fender? If so, that depends on the length of the fender, correct?

Or are you saying that the clamps are soft/gentle/whatever?

mr_bill 03-05-20 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21353697)
Are you saying the clamp will be on the tire rather than the fender? If so, that depends on the length of the fender, correct?

Or are you saying that the clamps are soft/gentle/whatever?

The tire clamp goes on the FRONT tire. Instead of a tire clamp on the rear, use a wheel strap instead.

https://i.imgur.com/yEGKcZs.png

-mr. bill

Kapusta 03-05-20 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21354014)
The tire clamp goes on the FRONT tire. Instead of a tire clamp on the rear, use a wheel strap instead.

https://i.imgur.com/yEGKcZs.png

-mr. bill

That does not look like the best solution to me for a fendered bike.

The front arm is pushing back, and it is completely dependent on the rear strap to pull back against it. The cradle the rear wheel sits in is tilted the wrong way. Can it be tilted forward to push back against the force from the front wheel clamp? Is the position of it adjustable so that it can be slid back behind the center of the rear wheel?

The rear wheel strap (or any wheel strap) should be just keeping the bike from bouncing out. As pictured, it is mission critical to keep the bike in the rack at all, and under a bit of tension.

Maybe I am missing something, here.

@ OP: I think for full fendered bikes, a frame clamp is the best option. They are the most flexible solution out there. They are also not thrown off by front racks.

Of course, I have never had issues with racks that contact the frame causing any damage, even after roughly 40K miles of travel with several bikes all over the country. YMMV.

mr_bill 03-05-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21354063)
Maybe I am missing something, here.

Yeah, you take another look at the wheel trays in the picture. Think about why they are angled that way. The bike very simply can't "roll" out of the wheel trays if you use the wheel strap and tire clamp.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I wish you good luck in your search.

-mr. bill

RidingMatthew 03-05-20 09:44 AM

I think Mr Bill might be right but I have used a frame rack with straps holding the wheels in. I want to upgrade but I have a bike with fenders and it definitely limits some options.

Kapusta 03-05-20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 21354133)
Yeah, you take another look at the wheel trays in the picture. Think about why they are angled that way. The bike very simply can't "roll" out of the wheel trays if you use the wheel strap and tire clamp.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I wish you good luck in your search.

-mr. bill

Yes, I have looked and to me It looks like they are angled the way they are for use with the clamps that go over the wheels. But with a full coverage rear fender there is no clamp over the rear wheel. Thus my comment.

Does the angle of the arms lock at different positions, such as 12 or 10 o’clock?

Just curious. I assume you have one of these and have used it with full coverage fenders, so I’ll take your word for it if it has worked out well.

mr_bill 03-05-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21354294)
Yes, I have looked and to me It looks like they are angled the way they are for use with the clamps that go over the wheels. But with a full coverage rear fender there is no clamp over the rear wheel. Thus my comment.

You use a WHEEL STRAP with the rear wheel in lieu of the TIRE CLAMP.

Does the angle of the arms lock at different positions, such as 12 or 10 o’clock?

It locks at many different positions, they recommend setting them to either 10 or 2 o'clock for obvious reasons.

Just curious. I assume you have one of these and have used it with full coverage fenders, so I’ll take your word for it if it has worked out well.

A friend has one. It works just fine with fenders. Really.

-mr. bill

adalah 03-05-20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 21352441)
Yakima Two Timer works with bikes with fenders.

Agree with you..

westrid_dad 03-08-20 08:07 AM

Several of our bikes have fenders and racks mounted, and when we were shopping for hitch-mount bike racks there were fewer options that officially supported carrying bikes with fenders. We ended up with the Thule EasyFold XT2. It isn't cheap, it isn't light, it isn't as quick and easy to attach / remove bikes, but it carries any of our bikes very securely.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...-xt-2-_-903202

Bryan C. 03-08-20 11:07 AM

I use a Kuat sherpa rack with a bike with metal portland design works fenders. I have transported it thousands of miles without any damage to the front fender. I do put a small microfiber cloth between the arm and the fender/fork area to protect the finish but that's it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7360e726a0.jpg