Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   The option to delete a thread is gone? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204436)

deux jambes 06-12-20 09:26 AM

The option to delete a thread is gone?

Has anyone else noticed this? Must be a recent change. And a ridiculous one at that.

RobbieTunes 06-15-20 09:11 PM

Might depend on who you are.
Private site, arbitrary by definition.

P!N20 06-15-20 09:17 PM

Wish someone would delete this thread.

cudak888 06-15-20 09:54 PM

The delete button is in the infinite loop of the seller's un-unsealable box and can never be recovered without imminent implosion of the logarithmic marzelvanes protecting the Federation-Klingon Neutral Zone.

-Kurt

Pcampeau 06-15-20 10:15 PM

Oh. Now I know.

USAZorro 06-16-20 06:16 AM

I don't recall that anyone other than a moderator could delete a thread.

Wileyone 06-16-20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21536621)

Previously as long as you started a thread you could also delete it.

USAZorro 06-16-20 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wileyone (Post 21536625)
Previously as long as you started a thread you could also delete it.

Even after someone else had posted in it?

Wileyone 06-16-20 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21536629)
Even after someone else had posted in it?

Yep.

cb400bill 06-16-20 06:24 AM

Thread moved from C&V to User Assistance.

Charles Wahl 06-16-20 06:37 AM

It's the cognate to Google, by default, keeping every piece of email you ever sent or received through them, even after you delete it -- and including it in the "storage" of that account.

For several years I've subscribed to both the BOB and 650B group mailing lists. Eventually they had to migrate to Google Groups after Yahoo terminated that aspect of their business (I even remember when it was a Usenet-based thing). I handled this through a Gmail account, filtering it all into an "On My Mac" mailbox for reading, and then throwing it all away when I'd gone through the most recent posts -- or so I believed. I noticed that the Archive folder in IMAP for that account were getting alarmingly large, and realized that Google had been keeping all the BOB-like mail messages, notwithstanding my deletion of them -- my non-paid Google storage was just about exhausted. So I sat down to try to delete the stuff, which had grown to about 100,000 emails between the two lists. If I deleted it from the Archive (which is where Google keeps "all mail", and to which I had paid about zero attention in the past), then it just went to Trash, which had to be emptied again to really get rid of it. Normally, deleting a whole raft of email in Apple Mail takes only a moment -- but this seemed to be going on for hours -- and I realized that it was simply crashing Mail. Eventually, I found a "fix" for this online -- Gmail settings that will (apparently, at least from the user/account point of view) erase them following the mail client's lead. But it was sobering to realize that "delete" or "trash" does not mean "erase" to Google; it's just another "label" (which is Google's version of a "folder" -- they don't really have folders, so you can't just delete a folder with all its contents.

Nothing you ever did on the internet ever goes away (despite the difficulty of finding it again when you want to), and it seems that our (or Big Brother's) propensity for keeping every piece of crap has no practical limitation, in terms of data storage.

Charles Wahl 06-16-20 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21536641)

Ah, see what I mean? Big Brother has moved to contain dissent and deflect user knowledge of what's really going on behind the curtain.

thinktubes 06-16-20 06:46 AM

Well, it was handy so I could correct glaring typos in thread titles. Simply delete and repost.

As a paying member, you can still delete replies to posts.

Wileyone 06-16-20 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21536641)

Why was this option dropped?

cb400bill 06-16-20 07:47 AM

I'm just a moderator here. Asking in the C&V forum is not where this kind of post should be made so I moved the thread to the proper place.

Those decisions, if this really is the case, are made by the corporate Admin Staff. Maybe IBJoel can shed some light here.

Wileyone 06-16-20 08:06 AM

Personally I think it should be reinstated.

A paid member should have the right to remove his or her posts/threads as they see fit.

IBJoel 06-16-20 08:31 AM

So we ran into the problem of users mass-deleting their own threads. This can cause database issues, infringes on the replies in the thread, and can delete useful information (as BikeForums should be doing), so should not have been enabled in the first place. It essentially grants mod powers to non-mods. However, the ability to edit your own posts should remain and it's easy to ask a mod or myself for a quick title fix.

3alarmer 06-16-20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 21536883)
So we ran into the problem of users mass-deleting their own threads. This can cause database issues, infringes on the replies in the thread, and can delete useful information (as BikeForums should be doing), so should not have been enabled in the first place. It essentially grants mod powers to non-mods. ....

....*feeling overwhelming urge to post "Power To the People !!" meme. Must....resist...*

Jim from Boston 06-16-20 08:43 AM

The option to delete a thread is gone?

Originally Posted by deux jambes (Post 21529904)
Has anyone else noticed this? Must be a recent change. And a ridiculous one at that.

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl (Post 21536662)
It's the cognate to Google, by default, keeping every piece of email you ever sent or received through them, even after you delete it -- and including it in the "storage" of that account...

Nothing you ever did on the internet ever goes away (despite the difficulty of finding it again when you want to), and it seems that our (or Big Brother's) propensity for keeping every piece of crap has no practical limitation, in terms of data storage.

On a Living Car Free thread was a dust-up about deleting threads with (others') past posts.

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19375130)
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it.

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 19376154)
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed?

I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?

Originally Posted by winston63 (Post 19381132)
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread…

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19384374)
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading.

Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19389817)
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it..

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19389845)
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses.

However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired….

Originally Posted by cooker (Post 19393428)
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread. Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity…

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 19390377)
When old posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining. :lol:

˅˅˅˅

Jim from Boston 06-16-20 08:52 AM

˄˄˄˄

I have previously posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 17360649)
…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist..

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
(from a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue..

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18337163)
...So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic [or read another subscriber's good one], written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it.

A further challenge then becomes finding the post…

Charles Wahl 06-16-20 02:46 PM

Despite my diatribe above, I don't see why the initiator of a discussion should have any right to delete the thread. It seems reasonable to me that a forum participant should be able to delete their own posts, but not the entire discussion. Plus, they shouldn't be able to delete quotations from or references to their posts. It's sort of like an author selling books, and then wanting to burn all of them. Too late for that; it's out there.

T-Mar 06-16-20 03:36 PM

As many of you may know, I maintain C&V serial number databases as an aid to decrypting serial number formats and aiding members in identifying the year and manufacturer of their bicycles. Part of those databases is a link to the original post. Once a member deletes a thread or post, it corrupts the link and all the other links and references associated with that thread. This had made it difficult to go back and find specific information for members. I'd like to see a "placeholder" to retain the location of deleted posts and threads. It would simply replace the deleted text with "Text deleted by author".

malcala622 06-17-20 12:56 AM

The delete option should only be made available in the sale section.

Item posted, sold, shipped, delivered, thread closed and deleted

indyfabz 06-17-20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21536621)

That’s how I remember things. Can’t wait for an Admin. to address the question.

IBJoel 06-17-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21538424)
That’s how I remember things. Can’t wait for an Admin. to address the question.

It might not have been total thread deletion, but deleting the first post deletes the thread by default.