Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RAGE!!! Tubeless Deep Profile rims and fishing nipples (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176706)

ChinookTx 06-26-19 10:39 AM

RAGE!!! Tubeless Deep Profile rims and fishing nipples

I've been raging for a few hours last night trying to fish nipples through a tubeless deep profile rim. It only has an opening at the valve hole, so it's not easy to fish anything through. I've seen a few people that suggested using an air compressor and a piece of string in the spoke hole that is supposed to pop out the valve hole, attach nipple, fish through, repeat. I'm having limited success with that, it never seems to make it to the valve hole.

Any other tips people are using? Clearly, swearing doesn't work!

AnkleWork 06-26-19 11:06 AM

Magnet.

alcjphil 06-26-19 11:07 AM

This is how it is done for Campagnolo wheels. My Shamal wheels were shipped to me with a strong magnet and a steel mini spoke for just this purpose

ChinookTx 06-26-19 11:15 AM

I'm ashamed to say I didn't think of a cut off ferrous spoke screwed into the nipple and a magnet... Will give this a try tonight.

ChinookTx 06-26-19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20998180)
1 extra spoke .. screw it on up side down, hold it against the end of the spoke and unscrew it from one
and start it on the other spoke..

Not sure I get what you're saying. Tubeless means there's no spoke hole on the inside of the rim, at least in this case.

fietsbob 06-26-19 11:19 AM

I'll pass..

I feel no need to follow the latest trends you others feel compulsory ....

stainless wire for spokes may also not be magnetic either .. older Zn treated steel spokes may be what you want..

ChinookTx 06-26-19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20998200)
I feel no need to follow the latest trends you others feel compulsory ....

I honestly don't give a rat's butt what trends you follow or not. What I care about is you butting into every thread and giving your half-***** opinion in cryptic sentences that read like haikus.

It's not the 50s anymore, get on with it. Thanks to the others for their suggestions, off to the garage to give this another go.

ChinookTx 06-26-19 02:27 PM

Thanks for the video @alcjphil (and those who suggested magnets)!! 10 minutes with a magnet, a small nail cut short and threaded through the nipples and my wheel is all laced with spokes. Can't believe I didn't think of this yesterday...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f70511097.jpg

Phil_gretz 06-27-19 06:37 AM

Fishing Nipples would be a good name for a rock band...

Troul 06-27-19 07:51 AM

I've used fishing > string fed from the ext. spoke hole > between the rim channel > to the access point of the inner rim > then thru the center of the nipple - making a large enough knot - that will allow the nipple to be > pulled into place > as needed using the fishing string.

WizardOfBoz 06-27-19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 20999502)
Fishing Nipples would be a good name for a rock band...

Hilarious!

But this makes me think of putting the hook into them. Would be painful. And if a fish with sharp teeth took a bite - owww.

WizardOfBoz 06-27-19 11:13 AM

Quick electrical tape cover over all unfilled holes except the one you are threading. Stick the and of a string into that hole. Use a shop vac or dustbuster to suck the string through. Tie the stub spoke to the string (with nipple attached) and pull through. Would that work?

ChinookTx 06-27-19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz (Post 21000081)
Quick electrical tape cover over all unfilled holes except the one you are threading. Stick the and of a string into that hole. Use a shop vac or dustbuster to suck the string through. Tie the stub spoke to the string (with nipple attached) and pull through. Would that work?

It probably would work too! I feel dumb for not thinking about all these good ideas!