Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Riding St. George, UT (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1157712)

Steepndeep 10-11-18 10:27 AM

Riding St. George, UT

Travelling to St. George soon. Will take both road and mtb. Any recommendations for good riding in area. Will probably camp near Hurricane.
Thanks!

Sojodave 10-11-18 11:06 AM

My daughter lives in the St. George area. There are some good road bike routes in St. George. One of my favorite is to take Snow Canyon Parkway around to Center and up to Kayenta. It circles around to Old Hwy 91 and you can either circle back or go through Santa Clara. There is also a great ride going out to the airport, Sand Hollow Lake, and back to St. George. There is a big hill climb going out to Veyo, it does circle back and you get a nice downhill on the way back. If your staying in Hurricane, (pronounced Hurricun) the road out to Sand Hollow Lake and to the airport to St. George and back would be a good ride. I'm not a mountain biker, but there are a ton of mountain bike trails around the St. George area. Good luck and have fun.

Johnny Rad 10-11-18 02:45 PM

With the half dozen rides I've done in St. George, I think Sojodave is on the money with the Veyo area.

I like Hwy 91 from Ivins to Gunlock to nearly Veyo and back.

I also like Hwy 18 from town to Veyo and back. I've heard Snow Canyon is a tight descent for what it's worth.

Looking at a map now, you can easily make it a loop.

Cyclist0108 10-11-18 03:04 PM

Gooseberry Mesa - The Big Loop

Hurricane Rim Loop

Clem von Jones 10-11-18 04:39 PM

The west end of town is directly downwind of the Yucca Flats nuclear testing and storage area, also Area 51. Lot of UFO reports from the west side of St George looking west over that desolation.

Heathpack 10-11-18 04:57 PM

I just went to St George for a conference and got some mountain biking in.

Day 1: I rode Stucki Springs Rd to Snakepit to Bearclaw Poppy. Rode Bearclaw 4x. Fun trail.
Day 2: Wire Mesa, which is a little past Gooseberry Mesa. I rode it clockwise and counterclockwise. Great trail.
Day 3: JEM trail from the trailhead off hwy 9 near Virgin. JEM to Hurricane Rim to Cryptobionic to Dead Ringer to More Cowbell, then back to the start via the entire JEM trail
Day 4: Snow Canyon bike path (Whiptail trail) and West Canyon Rd

Those were all great intermediate to easy trails.

Steepndeep 10-12-18 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone-helpful. Really lookin fwd to it!

doubravsky 10-12-18 04:38 PM

+1 on the Snow Canyon if you like to climb. And the Sand Hollow area- both part of the IM 70.3 course .... beautiful country!

fietsbob 10-15-18 04:45 PM

Wonder what the background radiation is now,
It was rather high when the nuke testing was not underground,

there.., downwind..