Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hubs designed to be silent beside Onyx hubs and new XTR hubs ?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193079)

Quintessentium 02-01-20 06:27 PM

Hubs designed to be silent beside Onyx hubs and new XTR hubs ??

(please excuse my non-native English)

1. Allow me to desperately beg 🤣 for hubs that is designed to be silence beside Onyx and new XTR

I only know those two and desperately scavenging any infos and traces regarding such silent hubs

not just quiet, completely silent 🤩 ones

2. I was impressed that most hub designers and manufacturers that except only a few like Shimano and maybe partly Novatech ones. Am I seeing the market properly?

(* asking question 2 as I’ve been actually looking for such silent hubs roughly concerning a gravel)

last but not least

In advance THANK YOU VERY MUCH ABSOLUTELY !!! 🤣😂😆🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

bpcyclist 02-01-20 06:45 PM

Concact John Neugent at Neugent Cycling and ask him. I just bought a set of wheels from him and these hubs are completely silent.

wesmamyke 02-02-20 06:57 AM

Shimano made LX. and Nexave level silent clutch models many years ago.

Also these guys made the stealth hubs, apparently now owned by box components: Home | True Precision Components

dsaul 02-02-20 06:58 AM

I built a wheel with this hub for a friend that insisted on the silent coasting. It was definitely heavier than a standard freehub and way more expensive.

Stealth MTB Rear Hub | True Precision Components

WizardOfBoz 02-02-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 21309952)
definitely heavier than a standard freehub and way more expensive. Stealth MTB Rear Hub | True Precision Components

I couldn't even find a price on their website. Just how much are these things?

Also, they seem to focus on MTBs, which seems crazy to me. I'm not an MTBer, but it seems to me that if I were and were barrelling down a rough mountain trail, not sure I'd notice the click of a well-lubed freehub, much less the whir of sealed precision bearings.

I'd think that Stealth would be more tuned into road bikes. Long straight patches with ups and down and some wind (so that you're pedaling like mad for a bit, then you relax for a bit) is where I notice hub noise.

sweeks 02-02-20 09:26 AM

How about lubricating the freehub with a slightly heavier oil? I've done this with hubs ranging from an old 5-speed freewheel to an Ultegra 9-speed freehub using 20-weight motor oil. I haven't experienced any problems in cold weather (which I sort-of expected). The hubs aren't *completely* silent when coasting but you have to listen hard to hear them. Some hubs I hear on group rides sound like loud fly-fishing reels.

dedhed 02-02-20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz (Post 21310054)
I couldn't even find a price on their website. Just how much are these things?e.

Says $425 here

Stealth MTB Rear Hub | True Precision Components

dsaul 02-02-20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz (Post 21310054)
I couldn't even find a price on their website. Just how much are these things?

Also, they seem to focus on MTBs, which seems crazy to me. I'm not an MTBer, but it seems to me that if I were and were barrelling down a rough mountain trail, not sure I'd notice the click of a well-lubed freehub, much less the whir of sealed precision bearings.

I'd think that Stealth would be more tuned into road bikes. Long straight patches with ups and down and some wind (so that you're pedaling like mad for a bit, then you relax for a bit) is where I notice hub noise.

I think they are $425. The company is mainly a BMX company, so MTB was a more natural progression for their products. I think the instant engagement of the clutch mechanism is more important than the silence. The silence is just a product of the clutch mechanism and was probably not a design goal. I don't think road cyclists care very much about instant engagement of the freehub drive mechanism. For MTB use, instant engagement of the drive mechanism makes it easier to get through obstacles and technical sections of trail, where half pedaling or backpedaling is necessary to get the pedals in the correct position to power over an obstacle or not hit the pedals on an obstacle.

WizardOfBoz 02-02-20 10:00 AM

dedhed, dsaul, thanks for pointing out the price.

dsaul, I am now more informed about the vagaries of mountain biking. I can see zooming down a trail and have to hit the pedals hard, needing instant engagement.

I still see an opportunity for road bikes in re: the OP's question. Being able to ride without a clicking freehub would be cool.

Thanks for the info.

dedhed 02-02-20 11:18 AM

Between bad hearing, road noise, and wind noise, my 6700 Ultegra hub might as well be silent.

Iride01 02-02-20 11:51 AM

I don't understand the desire for a "quiet" hub. Are we only talking about the clicking noise when coasting? Then don't coast is what I do if I want to experience serene quiet moments.

Quintessentium 02-03-20 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21310231)
I don't understand the desire for a "quiet" hub. Are we only talking about the clicking noise when coasting? Then don't coast is what I do if I want to experience serene quiet moments.

I’m glad that I didn’t post this for a man like you at all.

I don’t think the world or human beings exist for any other human’s conveniency to think. If that is, I personally consider it as a bit of imperialism.

AdkMtnMonster 02-04-20 09:17 AM

I miss my old Ringlé rear hub. If I was behind you and I had to coast, you’d be scared into pedaling faster because you’d have been jolted into thinking a giant road rattler was about to strike! That hub was the loudest, most AWESOME hub I’ve ever ridden!!!

Eric S. 02-04-20 01:34 PM

A few years ago I found a discontinued tool called Freehub Buddy, which injected grease into a freehub. It works well but you had to remove the axle and also remove the dust cap on a Shimano hub, destroying it. Because of that they also sold re-usable caps with an outer O-ring.

If I wanted to silence a hub now, I would do as suggested above and try to get some heavy oil inside. Most of the wheels I currently have run very silent already, so I haven't thought about this in a while. I have some Velo Orange wheels that are REALLY loud - I should try to quiet that rear down!

Retro Grouch 02-04-20 03:53 PM

I just Googled it and up popped a Nexave hub that looked like it had the right hub shell for $19.00.

Iride01 02-04-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quintessentium (Post 21312625)
I’m glad that I didn’t post this for a man like you at all.

I don’t think the world or human beings exist for any other human’s conveniency to think. If that is, I personally consider it as a bit of imperialism.

So you don't want to share with those of us that don't understand what the reasoning or desire is to have a truly quiet hub? Now that just being full of oneself IMO. It's not that I'm trying to knock you down. It's just that short of needing stealth technology to sneak up on someone, I can't perceive a need.

Quintessentium 02-04-20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21313843)
So you don't want to share with those of us that don't understand what the reasoning or desire is to have a truly quiet hub? Now that just being full of oneself IMO. It's not that I'm trying to knock you down. It's just that short of needing stealth technology to sneak up on someone, I can't perceive a need.

personally I don't feel a bit of necessity to play with someone who are not ready to read, understand and communicate with people who are fundamentally different from oneself.

let's just say I'm ridiculously kind, super-hypothetically of course.

1. if "I" didn't want to ask, why would "I" have written a question in the first?

2. my personal reason,
not only I'd like have any artifical stuffs perfectly soundless because it irritates me, and also put down any possibility that my riding intimidates pedestrians. it happens actually a lot in my country. especially the region where are I live is specially full of undeducated, uncivilised people who thinks their right to drive is more prioritised than pedestrians and other people. foreigners, more educated and civilised IMO, quite impressed as insane with such driving culture.

3. if you just a little take of comprehension of what the replier, Iride01, have written, to me it didn't seem like that he wanted to be shared, instead he was just cynical to other people, what a character. I kindly put his reply again below for you who is completely a stranger to me.

4. it was good english writing practice, however and whatever. XD

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21310231)

Quintessentium 02-05-20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21313826)
I just Googled it and up popped a Nexave hub that looked like it had the right hub shell for $19.00.

that's incredible price … !

thank you very much for the head up

downtube42 02-05-20 09:24 PM

Seven randos on a 400k, riding down the road.

One with a noisy freehub and a propensity to coast.

300k to go, six randos riding down the road.

u235 02-05-20 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 21310070)
How about lubricating the freehub with a slightly heavier oil? I've done this with hubs ranging from an old 5-speed freewheel to an Ultegra 9-speed freehub using 20-weight motor oil. I haven't experienced any problems in cold weather (which I sort-of expected). The hubs aren't *completely* silent when coasting but you have to listen hard to hear them. Some hubs I hear on group rides sound like loud fly-fishing reels.

I've used a little grease with no noticable side effect. Not specifically to quiet them but it did.

Iride01 02-06-20 10:40 AM

Well I thought is was a reasonable question I ask. I know it wasn't worded as a direct question, but I thought it'd get a thoughtful insight as to yours or others reasoning and perhaps a friendly jab or two. My apologies that wasn't the case. I really was interested what the reasoning and desire was for a quiet hub. While true it might just be a personal preference instead of some novel use that maybe had a new market potential. I guess from what little you care to share it is much like some like bikes painted black and others like bikes painted red.

If you are of the belief that comments on posts must be only about the question asked in the post, then I suppose that's okay. I don't share that view, this is after all a public forum. Not a website for the secret society of quiet hub users. I also broke my own advice by responding here twice................if I don't like someones post, I should just ignore them.

unterhausen 02-06-20 11:32 AM

This discussion of why the OP wants a quiet hub just doesn't seem to be going anywhere good, so let's just agree to knock it off before I have to start deleting posts.

I was thinking about getting an onyx because of the engagement, but I also like quiet hubs. I have a hope hub that has driven me nuts on very long rides. My friend that rides recumbent complains about it too, since he's closer to it than I am. It's too bad the new Shimano hubs seem to have problematic design from a reliability standpoint. They are very tempting otherwise.

Quintessentium 02-17-20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21316586)
I was thinking about getting an onyx because of the engagement, but I also like quiet hubs. I have a hope hub that has driven me nuts on very long rides. My friend that rides recumbent complains about it too, since he's closer to it than I am. It's too bad the new Shimano hubs seem to have problematic design from a reliability standpoint. They are very tempting otherwise.

ooh thank you very much for the infos, if the engagement of onyx hubs is also someone's reason to like them, it's much more desirable to me too !
I gotta work more then XD

HillRider 02-18-20 09:28 AM

Shimano's silent clutch hubs were mostly spec'ed on Police bicycles so they could literally sneak up on a perp without being heard. These bikes are MTBs so that's why the hubs are MTB-types.

That said, all the Shimano road hubs I've used (105, Ultegra, Dura Ace and a couple of sets of Shimano pre-built wheels) are almost completely silent with just Tri-Flow as the lube. My Campy Chorus hub is anything but quiet.