Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   I purged my parts stash yesterday... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186115)

Essthreetee 10-20-19 06:38 AM

I purged my parts stash yesterday...

I was cleaning my garage yesterday and decided that my schools “cycling club” could make better use of my small parts stash than I would. I gathered up most (not quite all) of my parts and extra things (including 2 frames, saddles, cranks, bars, stems, tires, pedals, shoes/cleats, several front and rear derailleursas well as some other small odds and ends) and gave them to the advisor. He was excited to have some stuff to teach the students with and have them try.

In the end, it was a win-win. Students will get an opportunity to play/learn and I cleaned/freed some space.

Just sharing a feel good moment.
What is yours?

thumpism 10-20-19 06:59 AM

Good for you. I need to do the same.

Manny66 10-20-19 01:29 PM

Nope, my old parts stash has saved me from shelling out big dough on Ebay and swapmeets. Im keeping mine.

dweenk 10-20-19 03:20 PM

I am in the process of stripping a mediocre frame in order to donate it to a local charity. Your post made me think of all the parts I have stashed over the years. There are some nice parts that I may sell and lots of usable parts that should be donated.

RobbieTunes 10-20-19 04:08 PM

I take my stuff to Brazen Dropouts swap meet, and some of the leftovers go to that bike club (kids). Last year, they got my too-small helmets, among other things.

thumpism 10-20-19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 21172114)
...they got my too-small helmets.

Your head has grown?

joesch 10-20-19 04:37 PM

Very nice and hope it inspires some builds. You should be able to claim a tax write off for the value, produce donation receipt incase of audit.

ThermionicScott 10-20-19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 21172114)
I take my stuff to Brazen Dropouts swap meet, and some of the leftovers go to that bike club (kids). Last year, they got my too-small helmets, among other things.

How often do you go, Robbie? I make it up most years, it would be fun to meet more C&Vers in person. :thumb:

TriBiker19 10-20-19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by joesch (Post 21172154)
Very nice and hope it inspires some builds. You should be able to claim a tax write off for the value, produce donation receipt incase of audit.

The way the tax laws have changed in the past two years, very few people have been able to itemize unless they're donating a lot or have substantial medical expenses. The limitations on state income and property taxes impacted a lot of people. Value would be based on thrift shop value, which is virtually nothing.

I spent all of last tax season being the bearer of bad news. *sigh*

Chombi1 10-20-19 09:10 PM

I also just gave away a bunch of parts today. To my younger brother whose in C&V N+1 mode right now. I figure those parts will help him on his coming builds. So much better than the parts and components just laying around. Especially at this point when I think I'm pretty close to being done acquiring more C&V bikes.
I got my brother started in the C&V collecting/riding hobby a few years ago. He now has 12 bikes (Not all C&V). My brother's wife must hate me now....:rolleyes:

TriBiker19 10-20-19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chombi1 (Post 21172546)
He now has 12 bikes (Not all C&V). My brother's wife must hate me now....:rolleyes:

Think of all the money you saved him. She should be thanking you.

hokiefyd 10-21-19 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by TriBiker19 (Post 21172529)
The way the tax laws have changed in the past two years, very few people have been able to itemize unless they're donating a lot or have substantial medical expenses.

It's kind of liberating. Whenever we donate stuff, they'll ask if we want a receipt. "Nope!!" :lol: