Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Bad idea to buy a phone that doesn't support 5G? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166581)

Seattle Forrest 02-17-19 12:39 AM

Bad idea to buy a phone that doesn't support 5G?

I've had my trusty S6 for years, but it's getting ready to go to phone heaven, and needs to be replaced. My highest priority in a phone is the camera, I like making prints, I don't always carry my SLR around but I always have my phone.

A phone with a great camera is more than I'd like to spend (I'm saving for a house), so I plan to use it for years. I've narrowed it down to a short list, none support 5G. I don't know when it's coming to Seattle, but it won't be that long. I've heard mixed things about it's usefulness to phone users. I'll be in an urban core for the next five years.

I could use a few second opinions.

znomit 02-17-19 04:36 AM

There's no need to hurry to jump on the 5G train...
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5g-tran...ews-28793.html

gregf83 02-17-19 04:40 AM

I rarely (never?) notice data transfer speed being an issue on my phone. I don’t watch videos on my phone and don’t care if I can download a full length movie in 10 Seconds so I’m not sure what killer app is going to need 5G. Nothing I do at the moment needs more speed.

Tourist in MSN 02-17-19 08:35 AM

My data plan is limited to 50 meg a month. That is good for about 10 weather forecasts. Even if 5G had been around for a few years, would not matter to me.

But I usually have bought most electronic gizmos about one generation behind when they are much cheaper. The last phone I bought was $60 (unlocked GSM 4GLTE, 5.5 inch screen) and meets my needs just fine.

But I bet my nephew can't wait for the latest 5G phone to come out, he always wants to have the latest electronic toys.

Shimagnolo 02-17-19 09:16 AM

5G is all about the infrastructure. Yes, it is faster, but it is also much shorter range, meaning a huge new set of cell towers need to be built, since the cells will be physically smaller. It's biggest advantage is that it offers the potential for wireless to leapfrog the performance of DOCSIS & DSL, making it the preferred choice for fixed-location customers.

It is going to take a few years for the 5G infrastructure to be built, so it is really not a consideration for buying a phone today.
And don't believe the liars at AT&T who are trying to market 4G as "5GE": https://www.wired.com/story/sprint-s...l-meaningless/

Seattle Forrest 02-17-19 10:07 AM

Lot of good advice, thanks folks.

I use T-Mobile. I don't steam video or even music, not a gamer. But I make heavy use of the hotspot/wifi tethering feature for Skype voice calls and screen sharing, lots of remote desktop, and git. They let work from home, but I get cabin fever and there are lots of nice parks nearby. It's much cheaper to go through the phone than to buy a hotspot and data plan.

McBTC 02-17-19 10:19 AM

Google Pixel 3 has the camera you want...

Seattle Forrest 02-17-19 11:39 AM

I'm looking at the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Which is a lot more than I've ever considered spending on a phone. But there's a 40 mpx camera with a half inch chip and 27 mm lens.

avole 02-17-19 11:50 AM

They are introducing it in SE Asia shortly. I suggest you read up about it. Could well be a replacement for your home wifi, if it works as it is supposed to.

HerrKaLeun 02-17-19 01:04 PM

I never have problems with 4G speed for what i need (browsing, google maps etc.). i don't stream Netflix etc. outside my wifi area, so can't tell if 4G suffices for that. i seem to be able to use youtube on 4G properly, though.

My main problem with speed is that most rural areas don't even have 4G and google maps (if I didn't download a map before) becomes unusable at what I perceive as dial up speed. since 5G has a shorter range, it won't resolve that problem. 5G first will have good coverage where 4g is already dense.

it will be a long time before 5G goes into rural areas, if ever. I assume wherever there is 5G, there will be 4G, or a 4G phone can use 5g at least at 4G speeds? anyway, it won't be an issue for years to come. I believe my 4G phone also uses 3G (in rural areas it says so)

CliffordK 02-17-19 01:27 PM

I'm still stuck a few generations back. Samsung S4 gen. No problems with Chrome, or phone, or etc, although battery life is an issue.

For Samsung, I think the S5 was the last generation of the easily accessible batteries.

As far as 4G vs 5G, it would depend a bit on your phone usage. Heavily into downloads, or just light downloads, some browsing, texting, etc.

For ordinary use, I like the smaller phones, although I have troubles with the tiny digital keyboards. I've thought some about a tablet style phone for touring as a type of laptop replacement, but I haven't gone that route yet.

One of the more interesting phone systems is the Moto Mods (Z2/Z3) phones, that allow a quality camera attachment, and a few other attachments. The Moto Mods (Z2/Z3) Play versions are supposed to have the better batteries, and I think the Moto Mods Z2 Force (Z3 soon) has a more durable screen. I haven't made that leap, but it is worth considering.

Several of the new phones have apparently gone to a wrap around glass, front and back. There are a few advantages of glass such as no dents, and good radio transmission, but wow, drop the phone and any place it impacts, and you get a crack. New glass is cheap, but removal and replacement of just the glass without the whole digitizer/LED is complex.

Marcus_Ti 02-17-19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 20798760)
5G is all about the infrastructure. Yes, it is faster, but it is also much shorter range, meaning a huge new set of cell towers need to be built, since the cells will be physically smaller. It's biggest advantage is that it offers the potential for wireless to leapfrog the performance of DOCSIS & DSL, making it the preferred choice for fixed-location customers.

It is going to take a few years for the 5G infrastructure to be built, so it is really not a consideration for buying a phone today.
And don't believe the liars at AT&T who are trying to market 4G as "5GE": https://www.wired.com/story/sprint-s...l-meaningless/

We don't even have 4G speeds yet...so all the worry about 5G is a bit premature.

Besides it isn't like the difference is worry enough since phones seldom last more than 1-2 years anyway.

Seattle Forrest 02-17-19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20799210)
Several of the new phones have apparently gone to a wrap around glass, front and back. There are a few advantages of glass such as no dents, and good radio transmission, but wow, drop the phone and any place it impacts, and you get a crack. New glass is cheap, but removal and replacement of just the glass without the whole digitizer/LED is complex.

Wireless charging. It could in theory work if the back of the phone is some kind of plastic, but they don't make those.

The USB port on my S6 is almost dead. It will only take some cables, at just the right angle. Too finicky to charge with. Only real way to get power into this phone has been wireless charging, for the past 9 or 12 months. I've known other people with the same story, so I think the USB ports just eventually wear out. Since I tend to keep and use them for years, it's important to me to be able to charge wirelessly. I wouldn't buy a phone that couldn't take a charge this way. I've got a wireless charger on my desk at work, a couple around the house, and one in my car. The battery in my S6 is pretty fatigued. Enough of an investment to want the new phone to use them, so I'll be going with glass.

I dropped my S6 using it as a camera while riding a MTB once. I was lucky, the back cracked, front looks like brand new.

CliffordK 02-18-19 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 20799982)
Wireless charging. It could in theory work if the back of the phone is some kind of plastic, but they don't make those.

The USB port on my S6 is almost dead. It will only take some cables, at just the right angle. Too finicky to charge with. Only real way to get power into this phone has been wireless charging, for the past 9 or 12 months.

They used to make phones with a lot of plastic including plastic backs. Even the silver rim around my S4 phones is actually silver colored plastic.

Yes, I also have concluded that the Android style charging ports are the worst design. I've chewed up several cables, and my "bike phone" often gives charging woes. I'll generally plug it in with some weight on the actual cable connection. I have a couple of bike accessories that no longer charge due to charging port problems.

The Apple USB port appears to be a much better overall design than the Android charging ports, although I don't have any personal data about the longevity.

Apple, and perhaps a couple of other companies have gone to magnetic charging cables for laptops, but for some reason didn't use the same technology with cell phones. Why does one have to charge with a cable that has a half dozen little tiny wires when only 2 wires are needed?

Of course, full wireless charging could augment waterproofing a phone.

Thanks for the wireless charging suggestion.

In theory, you should be able to pull off the back of your S6 phone, and replace both the back of the phone and battery, making it almost like new.

Seattle Forrest 02-18-19 08:30 PM

I can't find any samples at 40 mpx.

HerrKaLeun 02-18-19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20800039)
They used to make phones with a lot of plastic including plastic backs. Even the silver rim around my S4 phones is actually silver colored plastic.

Yes, I also have concluded that the Android style charging ports are the worst design. I've chewed up several cables, and my "bike phone" often gives charging woes. I'll generally plug it in with some weight on the actual cable connection. I have a couple of bike accessories that no longer charge due to charging port problems.

The Apple USB port appears to be a much better overall design than the Android charging ports, although I don't have any personal data about the longevity.

Apple, and perhaps a couple of other companies have gone to magnetic charging cables for laptops, but for some reason didn't use the same technology with cell phones. Why does one have to charge with a cable that has a half dozen little tiny wires when only 2 wires are needed?

Of course, full wireless charging could augment waterproofing a phone.

Thanks for the wireless charging suggestion.

In theory, you should be able to pull off the back of your S6 phone, and replace both the back of the phone and battery, making it almost like new.

The charging port is a USB -C, which is not android specific but "standard". I don't have an iphone, but users of such have told me Apple also switched to USB 3 (from their "lightning" proprietary plug). So whatever problems it may have, they are not Android problems. USB

But this thread made me order some wireless pads since i frequently plug/unplug my phone at my desk when i walk around (want my phone with me when i get up, but also want to keep it charged a lot). They say the wireless will work through 5 mm of cover.
That way will wear out the port less.

Edit: had mixed up USB-c and 3.0

Seattle Forrest 02-20-19 11:48 AM

In case anybody finds the topic interesting in general, here's an article arguing it's stupid to spend big bucks on a 4G phone, especially an Android one.

In my case, I'm going to have to start driving to work every day if I don't make up my mind and buy something soon. Being able to work from home and from the park is a big deal.

surak 02-20-19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 20804145)
In my case, I'm going to have to start driving to work every day if I don't make up my mind and buy something soon. Being able to work from home and from the park is a big deal.

I've had good luck with a refurb used phone from eBay. I specifically wanted the last flagship LG that had a removable battery (V20) and got a good price on it a year ago. That could be a good stopgap option for you since it seems like older flagship cameras are still significantly better than what comes on budget phones. Best thing about my current phone's camera is that someone ported the Google camera app to it.

CliffordK 02-20-19 08:03 PM

One thing about buying E-Bay phones (ATT, T-Mobile, GSM, etc). Be careful of IMEI Bricking.

T-Mobile specifically gives a discount for your monthly rates if you own your own phone. And, I think it is quite significant. Perhaps $20 less a month. It doesn't take long to pay for that 2nd hand phone.

Technically CMDA (Sprint/Verizon) phones will also work on GSM, but I had nothing but problems with the networking with a Sprint phone, I think.

Marcus_Ti 02-20-19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20804891)
One thing about buying E-Bay phones (ATT, T-Mobile, GSM, etc). Be careful of IMEI Bricking.

T-Mobile specifically gives a discount for your monthly rates if you own your own phone. And, I think it is quite significant. Perhaps $20 less a month. It doesn't take long to pay for that 2nd hand phone.

Technically CMDA (Sprint/Verizon) phones will also work on GSM, but I had nothing but problems with the networking with a Sprint phone, I think.

Most of them don't and never will (other than Nexus or Pixel or Essential). Sprint SKUs are usually unique and lack the software radios in firmware to work with other carriers....and similarly world phones are not whitelisted onto sprint's network to work--even if they have CDMA radios inside....in some cases you can get them added--so long as you talk to the right CSR.

Only recently did this start changing...and it caused lots of hell. I think the S9 was the first major phone that was a world phone on Sprint (sorry nexus/pixel/Essential you don't count), and lots of handsets were not whitelisted.

CliffordK 02-21-19 12:13 PM

Just saw this.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/...t-fake-network

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MAR0...36/att_5ge.jpg

So, 5Ge is just an enhanced 4G connection

Do you need fast streaming data? And, it may depend on whether you are actually in an area that will get 5G service. Seattle may be an early adopting region, but apparently doesn't like the small grid design.

As a rural consumer, I'd be happier to get a reliable network than to get faster service. Although, perhaps there would be advantages of smaller towers with the 5G.

And, of course, Donald Trump may not understand what 5G is, but is ready for it to become obsolete.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/1...twork-carriers

Steve B. 02-21-19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 20799982)

T.

iPhones from the 8 on (at least) have glass backs, mostly to allow wireless charging. My wife and I use some cheap $15 charging pads and as we both use Otterbox cases to protect the phones, we don't have to pry up the lightning cover to plug in to charge, we just place it on the pad. It's actually a very useful item.

Marcus_Ti 02-21-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20805817)
Just saw this.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/...t-fake-network

[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/MAR0JyZoVbBBx0SEjjDwrloOCeQ=/0x0:731x396/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:731x396):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13643836/att_5ge.jpg

So, 5Ge is just an enhanced 4G connection

Do you need fast streaming data? And, it may depend on whether you are actually in an area that will get 5G service. Seattle may be an early adopting region, but apparently doesn't like the small grid design.

As a rural consumer, I'd be happier to get a reliable network than to get faster service. Although, perhaps there would be advantages of smaller towers with the 5G.

And, of course, Donald Trump may not understand what 5G is, but is ready for it to become obsolete.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/1...twork-carriers

Actually it isn't. "4G" !="4G LTE" or "4G+" or "LTE-A". Just about nowhere has actual 4G service yet.

For the curious this is what 5G actually means: https://spectrum.ieee.org/video/tele...-know-about-5g (be warned of an autoplay video)

fietsbob 02-21-19 07:55 PM

Samsung announced one , flexible folds out, Sells for $2000.00

Seattle Forrest 02-22-19 11:17 AM

Follow up.

I bought a used Note 8 from a local store. That kept me from having to drive in to the office today and in the future.

The Mate 30 will be announced in a free weeks, if it's impressive enough to upgrade I'll sell the Note when it arrives.

The giant tail display is nice to use, but doesn't fit well in my pocket. :o