Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   winter is coming to an end (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1167210)

rumrunn6 02-26-19 10:57 AM

winter is coming to an end

did you ride as much as you intended? I did not. I also didn't get a blizzard ride in. we have all of March so maybe I will get lucky, but so far this winter has been a snowy bust in our area. I would really enjoy some rock hard dirt with about 2" of fresh powdery snow during a dry storm. then get done in time to watch all the roads close, light a fire & have a wine on my 1 day off a week ... is that too much to ask? :foo:

parkbrav 02-26-19 11:09 AM

I would agree, @rumrunn6, we haven't had a terrible winter in Boston ... yet ... maybe some wind, maybe a few flurries, but certainly no Nor'Easter. But we got 3 of those Nor'Easters last March. So we'll see. I suspect that we're due for something.

I ended up biking much, much more than I expected last September. I had two assignments that took me about 15 miles round trip extra than I normally do. After finding some short cuts and alternative routes that were safer, I located back to the 5 mile round trip routine.

fietsbob 02-26-19 11:53 AM

only a light dusting , here , On PNW Coast @ sealevel Once .. Cold, clear skies let the daytime warmth go.
or warm er & it Rains..

noglider 02-26-19 12:02 PM

The difference in snowfall between Boston and NYC is not usually this great. You had a lot. We had very little. I haven't ridden enough, and I don't have many good excuses. But I sometimes do head out when the weather is uninviting. I have to steel myself up and say, you can do this. And it always works out. Yesterday evening, I was heading out on my bike, and my neighbor joined me in the elevator. She said, wow, you're an all weather cyclist. Do you like riding in this weather? I told her I don't, but a bad day cycling is better than no cycling.

parkbrav 02-26-19 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20812889)
The difference in snowfall between Boston and NYC is not usually this great. You had a lot. We had very little. I haven't ridden enough, and I don't have many good excuses. But I sometimes do head out when the weather is uninviting. I have to steel myself up and say, you can do this. And it always works out. Yesterday evening, I was heading out on my bike, and my neighbor joined me in the elevator. She said, wow, you're an all weather cyclist. Do you like riding in this weather? I told her I don't, but a bad day cycling is better than no cycling.

I'm not sure if catch your meaning. So far this year in Boston, we've only gotten 10.5 inches of snow, and that's 25% of what we get in a "normal" year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...m=.7045a993b0a

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:27 PM

some rain or snow coming Saturday afternoon. I'm not normally good at getting out early so maybe I can get some miles in, in some weather & get home to cozy up when it gets worse

noglider 02-26-19 12:31 PM

@parkbrav, my mistake. I was under the impression you got a lot. Well, Buffalo sure did, I think around 100".

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20812889)
I sometimes do head out when the weather is uninviting. I have to steel myself up and say, you can do this. And it always works out

I hear that. & it doesn't take much to get in my way. I just plod along getting myself & my stuff together. when I'm ready, I'm ready, then I have no excuse not to ride. Wifey is a great sport about not throwing up road blocks cuz that will just make me grumpy & she likes it when I come home cuz I'm always in a great mood

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20812958)
@parkbrav, my mistake. I was under the impression you got a lot. Well, Buffalo sure did, I think around 100".

have you heard talk about splitting the state? what would they call the two states?

parkbrav 02-26-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20812958)

@noglider point taken. well we normally do. We got a lot of rain, even during that cold snap the last week of January.

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 20812946)
I'm not sure if catch your meaning. So far this year in Boston, we've only gotten 10.5 inches of snow, and that's 25% of what we get in a "normal" year.

MA in general still got got way more than lower NY

parkbrav 02-26-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20812968)
have you heard talk about splitting the state? what would they call the two states?

No, tell me more? Is it along the lines of idle talk of combining Vermont and New Hampshire into one-state, possibly "Ver Hampshire"?

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20812876)
only a light dusting , here , On PNW Coast @ sealevel Once .. Cold, clear skies let the daytime warmth go. or warm er & it Rains..

you guys must have really good skin from all that moisture

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 20812795)
I would agree, @rumrunn6, we haven't had a terrible winter in Boston ... yet ... maybe some wind, maybe a few flurries, but certainly no Nor'Easter. But we got 3 of those Nor'Easters last March. So we'll see. I suspect that we're due for something. I ended up biking much, much more than I expected last September. I had two assignments that took me about 15 miles round trip extra than I normally do. After finding some short cuts and alternative routes that were safer, I located back to the 5 mile round trip routine.

yes, we're due! jealous of your riding. I miss bike commuting, cuz no matter what, I got my miles in. now it's just a joy ride here & there & I really have to protect my windows of opportunity. I think my parents are annoyed I haven't visited more during the past 6 months

noglider 02-26-19 12:41 PM

I think @rumrunn6 was talking about splitting New York. I haven't heard of it lately, but when I was a kid, there was talking about making NYC a separate state. Now that would be a difficult name to coin. Anyway, I predict no splitting will happen. The costs are great, and the benefits range from undetermined to insignificant.

rumrunn6 02-26-19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 20812977)
No, tell me more? Is it along the lines of idle talk of combining Vermont and New Hampshire into one-state, possibly "Ver Hampshire"?

hehe no, but that sounds funny. I was referring to NY State

parkbrav 02-26-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20812983)
yes, we're due! jealous of your riding. I miss bike commuting, cuz no matter what, I got my miles in. now it's just a joy ride here & there & I really have to protect my windows of opportunity. I think my parents are annoyed I haven't visited more during the past 6 months

Thanks for the encouragement. During my 22 mile commute last January I ended up finding two short cuts that, when combined, greatly improved the safety of the ride. So it was a double bonus :)

rumrunn6 02-26-19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 20813021)
During my 22 mile commute last January I ended up finding two short cuts that, when combined, greatly improved the safety of the ride. So it was a double bonus :)

oh you got lucky there!

Marcus_Ti 02-26-19 03:08 PM

Not ending here by a longshot for another month probably. Just got hit with 8" of snow over the weekend...more coming. Near-zero F temps.

wipekitty 02-26-19 03:18 PM

LOLZ on Winter is coming to an end :lol: I know it's true in terms of the calendar, but you wouldn't know that from looking around western Wisconsin :)

We've already had more snow than usual for the whole season...and it can continue to accumulate here through April. With the extra snow, the road maintenance crews cannot do much. They have cutesy little snowplows here - not the big monsters like they have in lake effect country. It seems that the ice melt stuff may have run out as well. Usually the main roads get the expensive -30F stuff, but it looks like they've turned to regular salt (which doesn't do a thing).

I'm basically a year-round roadie, with different equipment in the winter (gravel bike with studded tires for light snow/ice, old MTB with studded tires for more gnarly stuff.) My fun residential hills are too deep with snow and sand to get through, and the roads are not a lot of fun due to thick ice ruts everywhere.

Mileage is down - basically just commuting and transportation - and it was bad enough that I purchased a trainer :notamused:

noglider 02-26-19 04:00 PM

Well, it's still pretty cold, but I really am enjoying the increased light, both in duration and in intensity.

TimothyH 02-26-19 04:21 PM

It's spring in Georgia. Y'all come down. :)

Just felt like saying that.

Feb 16, 2019
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b6d0e1b77.jpg

wolfchild 02-26-19 04:35 PM

This winter was very icy with fantastic ice biking opportunities along off road trails and MUPS, I really enjoyed this winter season. It's not the end yet, tomorrow we expecting a heavy snowfall and cold temps are going to be around for a while longer.

noglider 02-26-19 04:49 PM

Owey Cramsie Jr posted this in the Facebook group called The Hudson Valley in Pictures.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...de950454fc.jpg

wipekitty 02-26-19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20813339)
It's spring in Georgia. Y'all come down. :)

Oh yes...I remember the azaleas in full bloom this time of year when I lived on the Gulf Coast :) There was also summer, and then what I called Bonus Summer, which I found utterly traumatizing.