Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Stem advice for LHT? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=515948)

patgoral 03-01-09 05:49 PM

Stem advice for LHT?

I just got a new 56 LHT and my reach is a little long but my standover is just right. It has a 100 mm 17 degree rise stem. Is a step down to a 90mm short enough to notice a difference, OR should I go to an 80mm or 75mm. I just feel a little stretched right now and i dont want the stem to be higher because I like the position.

norwood 03-01-09 07:51 PM

FWIW The shorter you go in stem length on a 17 degree rise stem, the lower your bars will be. Unless you have available steer tube above the stem to move it up. I personally can't tell a huge difference within 10mm but I know some riders can.

patgoral 03-01-09 08:12 PM

My steerer tube is cut EXACTLY to the height I want it at with all spacers beneath the stem. I was thinking what if I went with a shorter stem with a 35 degree rise instead. I work in a shop so I'm going to try a few out tomorrow.

period3 03-02-09 10:02 AM

stem

Please post your results. I have a similar situation, different bike.

I'm using a 100mm, 5deg rise stem. I'm thinking of going to 90mm, 15 deg rise but I'm not sure if I'd notice a difference or not. I also bought a really cheap 80mm, 5 deg rise stem that I'm going to try for fit.

Originally Posted by patgoral (Post 8450599)
My steerer tube is cut EXACTLY to the height I want it at with all spacers beneath the stem. I was thinking what if I went with a shorter stem with a 35 degree rise instead. I work in a shop so I'm going to try a few out tomorrow.

roadfix 03-02-09 10:20 AM

You're lucky you work in a shop so you can experiment.

My experiments over the years have resulted in a parts box full of old and new stems, mostly cheap generics to determine size, before buying the "good" stem.

patgoral 03-02-09 02:34 PM

ok, SO FAR! I've tried a 90mm with adjustable rise and it wasn't that different. I couldn't notice much at all even though I set the rise super high to like 35 degrees.

chrishg 03-02-09 02:39 PM

stem advice: thomson.

patgoral 03-02-09 03:23 PM

Thomsons are high quality but that won't change my reach problem. One thing I have noticed is that when it gets colder out I am far less comfortable than I am during warm weather in my wrists and back. I'll let it warm up and see. MAYBE I need a winter and a summer stem.

surreal 03-03-09 03:39 PM

Pat: Try the shorter stems, try something high a higher rise to it, and if you haven't already, slide your saddle forward a bit. that helps, too.

-rob

Re-Cycle 04-30-09 06:12 PM

I don't agree. Further forward places more weight on your hands.

Randochap 04-30-09 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by patgoral (Post 8455054)
MAYBE I need a winter and a summer stem.

Most people do.

surlylhtfan 01-05-21 03:31 PM

I understand the OP is from 11 years ago but I'm in a similar situation. 54cm LHT and looking for a shorter stem. Any suggestions? I think I'd like to try a 90mm x 17deg first (down from the stock 100mm by 17deg). I guess another option is a 70mm by 35deg.

mstateglfr 01-05-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by surlylhtfan (Post 21863988)
I understand the OP is from 11 years ago but I'm in a similar situation. 54cm LHT and looking for a shorter stem. Any suggestions? I think I'd like to try a 90mm x 17deg first (down from the stock 100mm by 17deg). I guess another option is a 70mm by 35deg.

Suggestions for a stem? The stock stem is no better than any number of stems on amazon or ebay.
If you dont know what to get, go to your local shop and ask to try a few stems on the bike, then buy one from them.
If you know what to get, either go to your local shop and buy it or order online.

A Kalloy 7 off ebay is one of the lightest stems around and also one of the cheapest name brand stems, but the 7 comes in 7 degree. Kalloy Uno comes in 17deg for sure. Or buy a $12 off Amazon- they come under different names and are all the same(i have received a Kalloy when the pic showed some generic name). The good thing about Amazon is you can buy 3 and most of the stems seem to be free return, so pack up the unused 2 and return em for free. I have 'Qikour' stems on 5 family bikes- 2 kids road bikes, 2 kids mtbs, and my wife's mtb. They are perfectly fine and one of them was delivered as Kalloy so its the same thing.

Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net use this to compare your current stem to potential new stems. You can then both read and see what the actual difference will be in height and reach.

surlylhtfan 01-05-21 05:19 PM

I appreciate the reply - thank you! I'll have a look at that stem comparing website and see what I can find online.

I didn't know it was possible to bring your bike into a LBS and try on different stems? I might call a few shops to get some idea of what they have in stock, they are also all an hour drive from me.

djb 01-05-21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by roadfix (Post 8453249)
You're lucky you work in a shop so you can experiment.

My experiments over the years have resulted in a parts box full of old and new stems, mostly cheap generics to determine size, before buying the "good" stem.

I'm sure all of us regular cyclists have numerous stems in boxes. I have both 26.whatever and 31.5 oversize stuff.
One bit of advice for this guy is to eyeball stems at your shop, while not perfect it will give you a reasonable idea.
Also, take some measurements, distance from saddle or something, and height from floor, whatever works, just to have comparisons in numbers before and after.

and yes, I find in summer we tend to get more flexible and this and that, and slight changes are noticed.

surlylhtfan 01-05-21 07:07 PM

Really not a lot of 26mm bar clamp diameter stems out there online.. At least in less than 100mm length.

Found one 65mm with 9deg, and another 70mm with 17deg.

mstateglfr 01-06-21 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by surlylhtfan (Post 21864291)
Really not a lot of 26mm bar clamp diameter stems out there online.. At least in less than 100mm length.

Found one 65mm with 9deg, and another 70mm with 17deg.

You need a 26.0? Correct- there wont be a lot of those relative to 31.8 stems.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=53102317895 They have 17 degree stems in a lot of lengths.

seeker333 01-06-21 10:23 AM

You can also shim your 25.4/26.0 mm bar to a 31.8mm stem with suitable adapter. You can get them in silver or black finish:
https://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufa.../dp/B000AO5FME

I find these tools indispensable in making stem / posture change decisions:
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
Stack and reach calculator <-- more work but great for comparing different geometry bikes, provided you have adequate manufacturer's geometry specification to plug into calculation

I have used these inexpensive Dimension (QBP) stems, they are offered in a wide variety of sizes, black or silver, at relatively low cost. Better quality than you would expect for the price:
https://www.dimensionbikeproducts.com/products/stems

djb 01-06-21 03:30 PM

dont know about you folks, but inexpensive stems have for me, always been fine. I cant see how the very small weight difference would be worth spending 100 bucks on a stem (or more) when a 20 25 dollar one works fine for me.

Moisture 01-06-21 03:39 PM

Go as short as you think you need to. Don't hesitate to try shorter than 80mm if need be. If the stem you are trying doesn't have a rise, you'll need to compensate further.

I like the 0-60 degree adjustable stems because you can raise it up to 60 degree tilt if you want the bars a bit higher without using spacers

djb 01-06-21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Moisture (Post 21865614)
Go as short as you think you need to. Don't hesitate to try shorter than 80mm if need be. If the stem you are trying doesn't have a rise, you'll need to compensate further.

I like the 0-60 degree adjustable stems because you can raise it up to 60 degree tilt if you want the bars a bit higher without using spacers

while I agree with you on going short if need be, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but boy oh boy I find those adjustable stems uuuuuuuuuugly. (and I find they tend to get a bit of "loose" in them over time, even when tightened properly)

Germany_chris 01-07-21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by djb (Post 21865593)
dont know about you folks, but inexpensive stems have for me, always been fine. I cant see how the very small weight difference would be worth spending 100 bucks on a stem (or more) when a 20 25 dollar one works fine for me.

Because I want my stem to also be attractive not just what works.

djb 01-07-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21866344)

yup, aesthetics are important in life, and bikes can be a beautiful object, so if a stem makes your bike look better, I get it

mstateglfr 01-07-21 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Germany_chris (Post 21866344)

What stem do you use? It looks similar to an old Trek System 2 with the hidden bolt from the 90s. Its neat, I guess, but it otherwise looks the same as a silver or black 17 degree stem.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd64a178f4.jpg

Moisture 01-07-21 09:48 AM

Aesthetics is totally useless when you have functionality and performance to consider first.

A cheap stem might seem "fine", but once you try a better quality stem (doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars) you'll be amazed how a stem which otherwise looks the same dimension wise can totally change the handling of your bike.