Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   So I have an entry level bike what three items would you upgrade... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=516792)

ricks200192117 03-03-09 08:21 PM

So I have an entry level bike what three items would you upgrade...

in order of importance, I already have a very nice seat so don't put that as an answer. I'm thinking wheels and hubs because the ones I have spin up like skate board trucks. I don't know what the heck I am doing so if some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

10 Wheels 03-03-09 08:23 PM

Why post in Advocacy & Safety ?

cudak888 03-03-09 08:40 PM

He's correct - intelligence and understanding of any single concept are oxymorons with this forum.

-Kurt

AndrewP 03-03-09 09:07 PM

Ask this on the mechanics forum, but also describe what sort of bike it is and what do you use it for.

Ajenkins 03-03-09 09:48 PM

Take the lane and don't wear a helmet.

thenomad 03-03-09 10:31 PM

stay on the sidewalk, or better yet, your driveway.

xenologer 03-03-09 11:19 PM

only 3 items?
:
Tail Light
Head Light
Replace aluminum frame with steel

UnsafeAlpine 03-04-09 12:46 AM

OP, this question is insanely difficult to answer. What bike are we talking about? How much are you willing to spend? What are you looking for with an upgrade? Do you want it to be faster, lighter, stiffer, beefier? There are way to many variables for this question to be reasonably answered. If it is entry level, it may be worth selling and buying an upgraded mode, but again, it's difficult to say.

JusticeZero 03-04-09 12:49 AM

How entry level is 'entry level'? If it's a $80 box store bike, don't bother just start saving up to buy a real bike when that one falls apart, probably in the next couple weeks if you ride it much. Hopefully it won't fall apart when you're in 45 mph traffic.

CommuterRun 03-04-09 03:16 AM

Most likely nothing until it broke. I would add lights, a rear rack, PowerGrips, etc., but you may have already condsidered that.

Daily Commute 03-04-09 03:57 AM

If you want non-sarcastic answers, I'd post this in whatever forum covers how you plan to use the bike. You'll get very different answers in the MT, roadie, BMX and commuting forums.

rm -rf 03-04-09 06:28 AM

Is it a road bike? You have a seat that you like--good. Upgrade your tires to something like Michelin Krylions. You could get good pedals and move them to a newer bike someday, too. Other than that, just trade up to a better bike later. By then, you'll have a better idea of what bike works for you.

KungPaoSchwinn 03-04-09 10:06 AM

I assumed he is looking at the safety issue, my 5 cents(inflation) is make yourself visible to drivers by using lights,rear/front/steady/blinkies,a decent helmet (entry model?) from Xmarts.
Front,rear and helmet >>>>3 items.

crhilton 03-04-09 06:03 PM

1. Remove reflectors add lights.
2. Read Art of Cycling (I believe the author peruses this forum)
3. Remind everyone that Senator Demint is a jerk. I suppose you can't really buy/upgrade that but do it anyway.

gcottay 03-06-09 09:46 AM

My top three upgrades:

Human engine, rider traffic and related skills, mental map of good routes.

Fremdchen 03-08-09 09:27 PM

Replace the first 3 things that break of course!

ricks200192117 03-09-09 02:18 AM

Great idea..

But I already have all that stuff on the bike. I do need a little ball horn for traffic.

Basil Moss 03-10-09 02:39 PM

This is the advocacy and safetey forum! What kind of answers are you expecting? Everyone will tell you to upgrade the lights, your helmet, and to remember to wear swimming bands just in case!

uke 03-10-09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JusticeZero (Post 8465035)
How entry level is 'entry level'? If it's a $80 box store bike, don't bother just start saving up to buy a real bike when that one falls apart, probably in the next couple weeks if you ride it much. Hopefully it won't fall apart when you're in 45 mph traffic.

As long as he's taking the lane when it happens, he'll be fine.

Alpha52 03-15-09 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ricks200192117 (Post 8463627)
in order of importance, I already have a very nice seat so don't put that as an answer. I'm thinking wheels and hubs because the ones I have spin up like skate board trucks. I don't know what the heck I am doing so if some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

The first three that break...doh!