Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   what type of ride did you do for the 4th? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=119008)

smoke 07-04-05 04:41 PM

what type of ride did you do for the 4th?

i got on the TT bike and did intervals. good workout. gonna have hot dogs, beer, and ice cream tonight, and watch the red sox

dvd of jimi hendrix at woodstock playing 'the star spangled banner' on the stereo and tv. happy fourth of july, citizens

55/Rad 07-04-05 04:46 PM

Did a 18 mile personal TT and continued for another 20 in prep for STP next Saturday.

Happy 4th everyone.

55/Rad

RonH 07-04-05 04:51 PM

I planned on doing my usual weekend ride to Stone Mountain Park, doing a few laps around the mountain, and heading home. No!!!!
I'm all duded up in my patriotic jersey, helmet, socks, etc. and when I got close to the park many of the streets were blocked off for parades, so I did a quick "get me outta here" maneuver and rode home. Only did about 21 miles. :( Not nearly as many miles as I'd hoped for.
Saw lots of other cyclists but none dressed in patriotic attire. :( Communists! :fight:

Boogs 07-04-05 04:55 PM

Did a 30 miler around East/West River Drives, as Westie is closed off for the Holiday. Really nice day for it.

I am afraid to do my long trip until I get my Blackburn frame pump (my pump isn't liking Prestas these days for some reason...won't lock), so I'm just doing the 30s everyday until it comes!

my58vw 07-04-05 04:56 PM

LT intervals on the road bike on the trainer... fun :cry:

Hipcycler 07-04-05 04:57 PM

Not a minute on a bike since Friday!
Boating, wake board, BBQ and eating....lots of eating.

BBQ chips.....dips...hot dogs....ice cream....pizza....beer....
Man, for one weekend I was living my old lifestyle.
Enough of that.
I'm back in town and ready to watch some tapes of the TDF on OLN, and Tuesday it's time to grind out some miles.

nitropowered 07-04-05 05:06 PM

I just did a solo metric. well, a little over a metric, 67 miles. Only stops were for water refills.

dahvaio 07-04-05 05:08 PM

Rode 40 miles up Los Alisos to Santiago Canyon to Jamboree and back on Irvine Blvd... I didn't exert myself and just set a nice easy pace...

smoke 07-04-05 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nitropowered
I just did a solo metric. well, a little over a metric, 67 miles. Only stops were for water refills.

nice ride. the only hilly part of ohio. i'd love to do that. too far to drive, though

Surferbruce 07-04-05 05:18 PM

30 miles, marina del rey to mulholland via sepulveda, came back down san vicente, beaches were unbelievably packed.

HammerTime 07-04-05 05:20 PM

I did a 50 mile Patriot ride with the lbs...avg 18.5...little warm but gorgeous day

allgoo19 07-04-05 05:27 PM

Made a visit to the Cook's corner, had a coke and a refil. There weren't as many bikes (motorcycles) as usual. Rode around the streets in the area. Stopped at the festivity in Mission Viejo, where Olympic road racing start line, finish line were set in 1984. Little over 40 miles ride. The weather was just perfect but I didn't see many cyclists.

SteveE 07-04-05 05:28 PM

Did about 38 miles through Portola Valley, up to Woodside, and back by way of Peet's in Los Altos, with my daughter in the back of the tandem, my wife on her single, and a couple of other women from the cycling club.

KirkeIsWaiting 07-04-05 05:38 PM

I rode around and around, then up and down the bridges.
I used the computer for the first time and found out I could get up to 24 mph, but not for long. A little spinning and watching the cadence for the rest of the time.
After three easy rides, I put 34 miles on today.
Off to watch the fireworks on the beach.
And then I'll take a late nite ride down to the House of Blues.

catatonic 07-04-05 05:40 PM

Mostly dodging rednecks and their firework mishaps.

Since some of the objects are coming from places I can't even see (such as from the other side of a giant building) I'm sure it's just the thin end of the gene pool and nothing deliberate.

On a good note I tried to race a bottle rocket that was skidding to the side of me....I lost :(

cheg 07-04-05 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
60 mile loop around Lake Washington on the tandem, our last major ride before STP. We left at 0730 to beat the crowds.

Route: Log Boom Park (Kenmore) - Marymoor Park - Coulon Park - Seward Park - Arboretum - Kenmore

Saw a big bald eagle, a rabbit, a goldfinch, a great blue heron, and the mountain was definitely out today. :p

zing28 07-04-05 05:51 PM

24 mile solo. Happy 4th!

JavaMan 07-04-05 05:52 PM

Had a nice 1.5 hour recovery ride at 65%. That's 20 miles at average HR of 120.

waterboy 07-04-05 06:16 PM

25 miles around Paradise loop, met my wife and kid for the Corte Madera July 4th parade, then another 20mile loop on the way home. Gonna fire up the grill in about 30 minutes- perfect day as far as I am concerned.

Happy 4th to all.

biketownblogger 07-04-05 06:16 PM

25 miles along our lakefront and parade route this morning with the club. We put some flags on the back of our bikes and the little kids and drunk people (yes, 7am and the beers were out, or should I maybe say still out from the night before) clapped for us while waiting for the parade to start. Rain here too, but light.

feltrider 07-04-05 06:21 PM

Did 41 miles around the beach area with a group. Beautiful weather today for a ride. Loved every minute of it. What a great way to start off a holiday before a picnic.

indie kid 07-04-05 06:25 PM

Ive been sick the last 3 days. Might be sick for awhile [tonsilitis, massive fever]. The days Ive been sick it hasnt rained at all and has been really nice outside.

terrymorse 07-04-05 06:32 PM

Let me see...

I started out with the standard Monday morning Coffee Ride, a pace line/drag race with a stop for coffee in the middle. Thanks to the holiday, we had a good bunch of fast riders today, and we sailed through every single traffic light on Foothill Expressway, Junipero Serra, and Santa Cruz Avenue. That has never happened before.

After the coffee stop at Peets in Menlo Park, I was indecisive about what ride to do next. Should I continue with the group back to the start, hang out for a while and join up with the ad hoc Noon Ride, or head for the hills to punish myself with some uphill intervals?

My buddy Roger advised me to good do intervals, since they would be the most painful. Good buddy, he is. So I split off and headed towards Kings Mountain in Woodside. On the way, I caught up with a rider wearing a California Triple Crown jersey. He sort of looked like my buddy Jeff, but I knew Jeff was working today. Well, it turns out Jeff got the day off, so he was riding after all. I rode with him to Huddart Park, where several other riders had gathered. We started up Kings, and I started my 5-minute intervals. I was feeling pretty good, although my legs still were a little weak from being sick with the flu last week. On the second to last interval, I passed two guys wearing Alto Velo club clothing. I also had my Alto Velo kit on, so I grunted a greeting between breaths and kept my effort going. As I was doing my recovery, they passed me again and said hi. I said "one more and I can quit" and started my last interval. One of them jumped on my wheel, so I had some motivation to keep up the pace, making the final interval the fastest I've done in a few weeks. He came around me at the summit, but I didn't mind. I had done some good interval work.

The group was heading to Sky Londa by way of Star Hill and Swett Roads, two lovely and shaded mountain roads through the coastal redwoods. I rode these with Lyresa, Jeff's girlfriend and another one of my favorite ride buddies. We got to Skyline Road and headed for Sky Londa at a spirited pace. There was lots of holiday traffic on Skyline, so we wanted to get that over quickly. I took the lead and worked as domestique to Lyresa, who was glued to my wheel (she's small and can't descend quickly, but she sure can hold a wheel). As we were descending the sweeping curves of Skyline, we often were going too fast to pedal. Great fun.

When we got to Sky Londa, we decided not to go with the rest of the group on Skyline, so we headed down Highway 84 towards to coast with me on the front (again at a brisk pace), then back up Alpine Road and down Page Mill, which is a screaming fun and technical descent back to the Silicon Valley. Finally, one last stop at Peets in Palo Alto for coffee and we headed to our respective homes.

Nice route, good training, tons of cyclists to share the roads with, near perfect weather, excellent ride buddies. 69 miles, 5500 feet.

roadgator 07-04-05 06:43 PM

just shy of 60 miles:

from littleton out on the c470 trail to morrison, north to (then up) look out mountain--new personal best up that one, then down 6th ave and the frontage roads to the plate river trail, back south to littleton. saw more people than ussual out today which was nice.

tomoro im giveing myself a rest and washing the bike.:)