Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Maxipad (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=755760)

yiffzer 07-29-11 12:56 AM

Maxipad

I read somewhere that wearing a maxipad actually helps with comfort while riding on the saddle.

Well, I wore one today.

That really worked.

Rowan 07-29-11 05:24 AM

Exactly what did it do for you?

Thulsadoom 07-29-11 06:17 AM

just shoot me...

thompsonpost 07-29-11 07:34 AM

You're a bigger man than I. Oh, wait....what.....?

sojourn 07-29-11 07:40 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a mini pad??

mtnbud 07-29-11 07:54 AM

looks like you've found a new market

Maybe because it helps keep the skin dry? With high mileage tours, I've been thinking of changing the shorts once or twice a day to help keep the skin clean and dry. This might be another option that'd do basically the same thing. I'm not sure I'm man enough to try it.

I'm seeing a market here - design a bicycle specific pad, loose the feminine look and nature. Make it the size and shape of a chamois pad.

dcrowell 07-29-11 08:14 AM

My shorts have a built-in pad.

staehpj1 07-29-11 08:23 AM

My thought is that, unless you are menstruating, if you need another pad you are probably using the wrong shorts.

Machka 07-29-11 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by yiffzer (Post 13003489)
I read somewhere that wearing a maxipad actually helps with comfort while riding on the saddle.

Well, I wore one today.

That really worked.

Speaking as a woman who has tried using various feminine products on rides out of necessity, I can say both "yuck" and "ouch".

10 Wheels 07-29-11 08:45 AM

You should get the tee shirt.

http://www.zazzle.com/im_an_ipad_im_...80894444554479

zoltani 07-29-11 10:10 AM

:twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy::twitchy:

yiffzer 07-29-11 10:49 AM

Hahaha, silly people.

I don't have cycling shorts and I have a saddle that doesn't work for me. My perineum got enough pain from riding the saddle too much. The pad actually provides comfortable padding that makes the ride much more bearable!

I have a Brooks B17 and actual cycling shorts coming in a few days so I won't be using this maxipad. :)

zoltani 07-29-11 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by yiffzer (Post 13005102)
Hahaha, silly people.

Hmmm, you calling us silly? You're the one wearing a pad to cycle in!

MNBikeguy 07-29-11 11:01 AM

I carry a couple maxi pads in my road rash kit. They presumably work well for large area scrapes. Luckily haven't found out yet. I thought that was what this was about. Silly me....

Squirrelli 07-29-11 11:03 AM

With the absorbency of the pads, I don't think they would feel comfortable after a long, hot, ride.

MMACH 5 07-29-11 11:21 AM

I had surgery a few years ago. Due to complications of Crohn's disease, they removed my sphincter and while it was healing, I wore a pad (with stitches from my taint all the way up, I couldn't ride for a few months). Anyway, I was shooting hoops at my in-laws' house, out in rural East Texas and the basketball bounced out into the pasture. As I precariously stepped through the barbed-wire fence to get the ball, my son called out, "Dad, don't get your pad hung up on the fence!"
My brother-in-law looked a little put off, thinking that my son was talking trash at me, "Dude! don't talk to your father like that."
My son and I both busted out laughing and told him it was actually a legitimate concern.

zoltani 07-29-11 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MMACH 5 (Post 13005244)
I had surgery a few years ago. Due to complications of Crohn's disease, they removed my sphincter and while it was healing, I wore a pad (with stitches from my taint all the way up, I couldn't ride for a few months). Anyway, I was shooting hoops at my in-laws' house, out in rural East Texas and the basketball bounced out into the pasture. As I precariously stepped through the barbed-wire fence to get the ball, my son called out, "Dad, don't get your pad hung up on the fence!"
My brother-in-law looked a little put off, thinking that my son was talking trash at me, "Dude! don't talk to your father like that."
My son and I both busted out laughing and told him it was actually a legitimate concern.

Sorry for your troubles, but dude TMI!

BikingCivic 07-29-11 11:45 AM

aren't you scared it might go in you?

himespau 07-29-11 11:49 AM

I'd heard of them as useful for road rash type injuries, but not as a moisture regulation. Think I'll keep my chamois, thanks.

MMACH 5 07-29-11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by zoltani (Post 13005344)
Sorry for your troubles, but dude TMI!

You're welcome. ;)

Shifty 07-29-11 12:10 PM

I always say that you should do what ever works for you, this seems a creative solution. For me, in that general area I find that a bit of Bag Balm applied before a ride prevents any chaffing. You might also look seriously at a better saddle, it's more expensive than Maxipads, but probably a better solution.

thompsonpost 07-29-11 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MMACH 5 (Post 13005244)

To think I could have been watching Dysfunctional Wives Of Some Big City instead of reading this disturbs me deeply.

MMACH 5 07-29-11 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by thompsonpost (Post 13005542)
To think I could have been watching Dysfunctional Wives Of Some Big City instead of reading this disturbs me deeply.

No need to be disturbed. I'm quite healthy, now.

eofelis 07-29-11 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 13004374)
Speaking as a woman who has tried using various feminine products on rides out of necessity, I can say both "yuck" and "ouch".

this

thompsonpost 07-29-11 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MMACH 5 (Post 13005600)
No need to be disturbed. I'm quite healthy, now.

It isn't your health that disturbs me.