Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Road/lightgravel wheelset for 2019 Trek Boone 7 Disk 2019 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1173844)

rogiedodgie 05-24-19 09:27 AM

Road/lightgravel wheelset for 2019 Trek Boone 7 Disk 2019

Hi all,
I finally decided to take the plunge and get into cycling thanks to a deal I couldn't pass up on a new 2019 Trek Boone 7 Disk stock configured.
I am already thinking along the lines of riding some gravel roads here in SC with the stock configuration.
However, for rides with light gravel / road, I was thinking it would be nice to get a lighter, thinner wheelset / tires.
Since I am a bit of a newbie, and there are lots of specs that must match up in order for a wheelset to be compatible, I was hoping for a bit of advice as I begin my cycling career.
Can anyone suggest some good budget wheelsets for this purpose, and maybe suggest a resource where I could come away knowing enough to make this type of choice on my own?
Sincerely,
Roger

fietsbob 05-24-19 09:47 AM

How about a custom built wheelset and you can pick the rim and spokes ..

Any suggestions from your Trek dealer ...?

hubs have to be compatible with your indexed shifting kit...

rogiedodgie 05-24-19 10:00 AM

Thanks for replying,
Well, I bought the bike from someone off Craigslist, he had like 10 bikes and this one he never even rode it! yikes! So I don't have a Trek dealer to consult, per se.
How would you go about getting a custom built wheelset, what site, what specs would they need?
Roger

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20945580)
How about a custom built wheelset and you can pick the rim and spokes ..

Any suggestions from your Trek dealer ...?

hubs have to be compatible with your indexed shifting kit...

fietsbob 05-24-19 10:06 AM

one contact some one who builds wheels

Mr Rabbit and Dan Burkhart are 2 forum members who build wheels

'Any' bike shop can get built wheels wholesale & build them retail..

what is wrong with what's on there? buy a pair of expensive tires first.. ?

rogiedodgie 05-24-19 10:14 AM

Hi fietsbob (from NL i am guessing! - I spend 5yrs in Nijmegen!),

I was thinking I couldn't go too thin with tires on the stock wheelset, not even sure a 28 (which I was thinking would be good for light/gravel/road) wouldn't be too thin. Shows how much the 'newbie' label applies to me in my profile! Of course there is the issue of taking off tires and putting on new ones.

Roger

fietsbob 05-24-19 10:34 AM

Nope, visited a few times , now live in a town with a lot of colonial settler Scandiwegians ..

I still have to get tourist visas ..

At $75 each the folks who buy them, rave about the wide supple casing tires Compass Cycles ,

( now called Rene Herse ) Sell ...a Seattle based company publishing Bicycle Quarterly Magazine , too..

and so staying with a wider tire gains without sacrificing rolling resistance (speed is still effort, not so much parts)

I was thinking ... Shows how much the 'newbie' label applies to me..

Of course there is the issue of taking off tires and putting on new ones.

Can't fix a flat tire ?
you had better be able to replace an inner tube ,, unless you have a team car following you..

https://www.renehersecycles.com/wp-c...arlow_pass.jpg

AnkleWork 05-24-19 10:52 AM

bit of advice: Maybe ride what you have for a while.

delbiker1 05-25-19 04:44 AM

A new set of wheels for riding on gravel seems to me like an unnecessary expense. Narrower,lighter tires for the same purpose makes no sense. Try what you have, if you want to upgrade after that, upgrade the tires but not for smaller lighter, but Wider tires with lower psi .

rogiedodgie 05-26-19 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I appreciate the replies. I'll try them out for a while and possibly put on some 25 tires if need be.
Best
Roger

ThermionicScott 05-26-19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rogiedodgie (Post 20948643)
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I appreciate the replies. I'll try them out for a while and possibly put on some 25 tires if need be.
Best
Roger

There isn't much need. Some of us are happily riding 38-42mm tires on every surface these days. I'm not going back to skinny tires. :thumb:

09box 05-27-19 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 20948863)
There isn't much need. Some of us are happily riding 38-42mm tires on every surface these days. I'm not going back to skinny tires. :thumb:

I won't go any smaller than a 700x32 tire anymore..