Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Worth buying expensive sunglasses? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1187733)

Texboy 11-10-19 01:46 PM

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?

DrIsotope 11-10-19 01:52 PM

Value is relative. But IMO, yeah, it's worth it. The optics on quality glasses from Oakley, Nike, etc. are just better than economy brands.

Be glad you don't have to have prescription lenses made-- my prescription sunglasses are all pretty much $300+.

Texboy 11-10-19 02:29 PM

What do you think of Tifosi? The sunglasses range $70 - $80.
Tifosi.

wipekitty 11-10-19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Texboy (Post 21203006)
Tifosi.

I like Tifosi. I got my pair for ~$35, and it came with three lenses. I use the dark ones for bright sun, the tinted ones for cloudy days/evening riding, and the clear lenses for eye protection at night.

Optical quality is certainly going to be better with expensive glasses. But, for basic cycling glasses on a budget, Tifosi are just fine, and are still better than the cheapo $5 gas station sunglasses I usually wear.

DrIsotope 11-10-19 02:37 PM

As far as "budget" shades go, Tifosi are pretty darn good. It's what my wife wears.

kingston 11-10-19 02:54 PM

I wore cheap sunglasses for years and always thought they worked fine. The nice thing about cheap sunglasses is if something happens to them it's not that big of a deal to replace them. I moved to progressive lenses this season so I kinda had to get some nice oakleys with progressive/transition lenses that were about $500. While it's great to be able to see and not have to change lenses when it gets dark/light, I crashed a few weeks after getting them and badly scratched one of the lenses. Luckily I bought the insurance so it will only cost $50 to have them replaced when I get around to it, but insurance is only good for one year. If I didn't need progressive lenses I'd still be wearing the same cheap sunglasses.

The_Joe 11-10-19 02:54 PM

I have had good experiences with both Tifosi and Goodr. I have also had very bad lick with losing sunglasses both on and off the bike. So ~$50 is about where I max out on a glasses investment.

There was some viral investigative journalism a few years back about how glasses are only manufactured in a few factories. Big brands just upcharge out the wazoo because they can. You can choose to believe it or not. I personally have never felt disadvantaged from being budget conscious about my sunglasses or my mild prescription eye glasses.

CAT7RDR 11-10-19 03:22 PM

I have a pair of Oakley Black Iridium. I like the clear contrast optics but they just do not fit right under my helmet. I use them now for hiking. Oakley would not fill my Rx request so screw'em.

I have a pair of yellow tint bifocal safety glasses and brown tint safety glasses that fit perfect and work well for $15 each.

Cyclist753 11-10-19 03:55 PM

I've had my Brikos over 30 years! Remember: the quality remains long after the price is forgotten. Oakleys aren't what they used to be. The brand was acquired by Luxottica a couple of years ago and they are starting to 'suck'. I love my in Tag Hauer sunglasses and wish they made glasses for cycling. These mentioned are Rx-able.

badger1 11-10-19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Texboy (Post 21202952)
I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?

To me, yes. To you, or others, who knows?

Your money; your decision. I require prescription lenses. My Rudy Project Rydons are brilliant in every respect: very light, durable (six+ years now), and optically clear/virtually no distortion. I use prescription main lenses, not the Rx insert thingies.

wolfchild 11-10-19 04:06 PM

When it comes to sunglasses I go cheap. It's one of those items that can get easily damaged and broken. I've lost count how many sunglasses I damaged and broken over the last few years. It's not worth buying the expensive ones, I don't mind if I break a $25 dollar glasses. I wouldn't want to break a pair of $ 150 dollar sunglasses.

bpcyclist 11-10-19 04:33 PM

Why is it that, the more expensive the sunglasses, the more likely I am to lose them? What is that? I can't figure it out. I'm not generally absentminded. But I can't tell you how many nice pair of sunglasses I have just totally lost over the years. So frustrating. So, I just don't buy them anymore.

Hiro11 11-10-19 04:34 PM

In my opinion, no. Expensive sunglasses are a total waste of money. I say this as someone who ones two pairs of Oakley Jawbreakers and 2 pairs of 100% S2s. Make of this what you will.

Sy Reene 11-10-19 05:33 PM

I find the it's worth it to get the expensive and nice sunglasses when they're on sale for 50%+ off. Eg. Smith Attacks on Steep&Cheap at $100 (vs. $250 msrp)

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...NtaXRoIGF0dGFj

Texboy 11-10-19 05:42 PM

I keep spending money on $20 to $30 on polarized sunglasses. Some brands I discover that two lenses are not aligned. One side has little visible glare, and the other side is not. I get headaches and eyestrain by looking through these.

Koyote 11-10-19 07:21 PM

I have found that, when it comes to sunglasses, you get what you pay for. I haven't bought anything but Oakley in years. My oldest pair is about 11 years old, and they are still in good shape after lots of use. As long as you don't drop them directly on the lenses (which will scratch them), they are pretty hard to damage.

Troll Amazon, and don't be fussy about frame colors, and you might score some Oakleys at somewhat reasonable prices.

NoWhammies 11-10-19 07:39 PM

I have no problems spending good money on glasses. All of my cycling glasses to date have been Oakley's. If you watch the sales, you can usually get them at a good price.

aclinjury 11-10-19 09:00 PM

Oakleys are way overpriced! and their tints are MUCH more easily damaged, and easier to peel in hot & humid environment (eg, Asia). I have 3 pairs of Oakleys that do this in Thailand. Will never buy Oakleys again.
Tifosi are great value.

biketampa 11-10-19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texboy (Post 21203006)
Tifosi.

tifosi have worked well for me.

robnol 11-10-19 09:27 PM

heck no ….they are preying on the cyclists vanity to look more pro or seem hardcore

HerrKaLeun 11-10-19 09:30 PM

Have been using dollar store sunglasses for years. I buy 5-10 every year and don't cry when I sit on one or lose one.

FiftySix 11-11-19 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bpcyclist (Post 21203171)
Why is it that, the more expensive the sunglasses, the more likely I am to lose them? What is that? I can't figure it out. I'm not generally absentminded. But I can't tell you how many nice pair of sunglasses I have just totally lost over the years. So frustrating. So, I just don't buy them anymore.

I've never lost prescription glasses, tinted or not, but I've lost sunglasses.

I think many misplaced expensive sunglasses are "adopted" by the finder. Anyone can wear non-prescription sunglasses.

rosefarts 11-11-19 09:47 AM

If you're young with no eye problems, the $30-50 range is your friend. Optic Nerve One is on the top of the list.

I lost vision on glacier in a blizzard about 12 years ago. Even though I could see again a couple days later, I was left permanently sensitive to wind and breeze. To make matters worse, I have a pinguicula that gets red and inflamed in the wind.

For me, I went with Bolle Shifters, fog resistance and color change. It'll allow for a sun up to sunset ride without ever taking them off. A helmet lens is the next step...

Go try them on, we each have different face shapes.

JDandy 11-11-19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun (Post 21203508)
Have been using dollar store sunglasses for years. I buy 5-10 every year and don't cry when I sit on one or lose one.

As a newer rider that was my initial strategy but I got tired of the cheap plastic breaking in the middle of a ride. No financial loss but quite annoying.

I then went to Aliexpress and forked over a whole $13 for a pair of wraparounds with five different shades of interchangeable lenses, a cloth case, a hard case, lanyard, polishing cloth, etc. I wasn't looking for all of the extras but I guess cheap sunglasses are a pretty competitive business and it was nearly unavoidable. I'm happy with the purchase. They keep the wind and bugs out of my eyes as well as block the sun (or not if I use the clear lenses on a cloudy day).

I have a very nice pair of classic Ray-Bans that I never want to lose and use for non-athletic everyday walking around duty.

indyfabz 11-11-19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21203126)
To me, yes. To you, or others, who knows?

Your money; your decision. I require prescription lenses. My Rudy Project Rydons are brilliant in every respect: very light, durable (six+ years now), and optically clear/virtually no distortion. I use prescription main lenses, not the Rx insert thingies.

That's what I have, although I went with the Rx insert because my Rx has been changing. I also tend to be careless and scratch things. I really like them. As you note, they are light and sturdy.