Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Seal coat = ice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1078093)

benetga 08-27-16 10:34 AM

Seal coat = ice

Be careful of freshly seal coated driveways and a little rain. I went down this morning and it happened so fast I couldn't react to avoid it. I was halfway through a turn into of all places a cemetery when I fell. I have ridden a long time but this was a first. Just a heads up:)

TimothyH 08-27-16 11:50 AM

It is extremely disrespectful to ride a bicycle in a cemetery.

benetga 08-27-16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 19015046)

Seriously.....I always hold my breath :)

fietsbob 08-27-16 12:21 PM

asphalt seal coat composition is Typically a coat of more Oil applied on top.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealcoat

benetga 08-27-16 12:27 PM

I just wanted cyclist to be aware, a lot of this is done this time of year.

fietsbob 08-27-16 12:54 PM

Go back and put up a caution sign . There, for those Neighbors of yours , who dont read this hamster wheel site..

ckindt 08-27-16 01:22 PM

:foo:
The cemetery in my town has a bike path built through it.

TimothyH 08-27-16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by benetga (Post 19015079)
Seriously.....I always hold my breath :)

Are you riding public roads which go through a cemetery or riding in the cemetery proper?

Arlington National for example, has three roads on which cyclists may ride to get across the cemetery. The rest of the cemetery is off limits to cyclists. The same is true for other national cemeteries.

Go to a national cemetery and ride around, report back what happens.

It is an extremely distasteful thing to do.

-Tim-

gecho 08-27-16 04:43 PM

Nah, creating a Strava segment in a cemetery on the other hand.

loky1179 08-27-16 05:20 PM

It depends on why you are riding in the cemetery. If you are riding to visit the grave of a deceased loved one, it is no more disrespectful than driving a car in a cemetery.

TimothyH 08-27-16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by loky1179 (Post 19015523)
It depends on why you are riding in the cemetery. If you are riding to visit the grave of a deceased loved one, it is no more disrespectful than driving a car in a cemetery.

Try it in a national cemetery or a Catholic cemetery and report back.

gregf83 08-27-16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 19015630)
Try it in a national cemetery or a Catholic cemetery and report back.

Alington National doesn't seem to have a problem: Biking Through Arlington National Cemetery and Fort Myer

Why is biking through a cemetary any different than driving?

rmfnla 08-27-16 06:43 PM

What an odd thread...

canklecat 08-27-16 08:08 PM

Pardon my digression from the cemetery thread...

...yeah, the asphalt in a neighborhood between my home and the MUP was recently sealed. The contractor's sign called it "fog seal". I was a little nervous at first but either they used a different process that isn't oily and slippery when wet, or my tires handled it without a hitch. Much more pleasant to ride now. It was almost like rural chipseal before.

TenSpeedV2 08-27-16 09:00 PM

Disrespectful? Last year a cyclist here was hit and killed by a driver while riding. Local bike club decided to have a ride of silence for her a few weeks later. We started off at a park and stopped at the scene of the incident for a small memorial. We then proceeded to the cemetery where she was buried to pay our respects. We rode right into the cemetery and everyone parked their bikes on racks provided by the local club. People were extremely respectful and there was an unbelievable turnout to honor this woman and her surviving husband and kids who were there. I am pretty sure that there wasn't a dry eye in the 200 people that were there.

There are a lot of things that could be taken as disrespectful, but riding your bike on the pathways of a cemetery is definitely not one of them.

BlazingPedals 08-28-16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 19015268)
Are you riding public roads which go through a cemetery or riding in the cemetery proper?
It is an extremely distasteful thing to do.

Around here, cemeteries are popular places for walking, jogging, or cycling. Slow cycling, that is; not training or racing.

I should add, don't ride over the graves. Stay on the roads and paths.

Nermal 08-28-16 07:25 PM

Oh, for goodness sake! Well, somebody's always doing something you disapprove of, aren't they?

Bmach 08-28-16 08:07 PM

Please explain way it is disrespectful?

indyfabz 08-29-16 06:33 AM

Your knee-jerk, broad-brush reaction has been shown to be just that. In Philadelphia, the Woodlands--an active cemetery--is open to recreation, including running and cycling. They also encourage picnicking especially by the cradle graves, which is an historically accurate activity.

And there is this historic cemetery:

https://thelaurelhillcemetery.org/visit/tour-activities

indyfabz 08-29-16 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 19017547)
Oh, for goodness sake! Well, somebody's always doing something you disapprove of, aren't they?

You nailed it. And see my post No. 20 in this thread.

Milton Keynes 08-29-16 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by loky1179 (Post 19015679)
I didn't say it wasn't against the rules. I said it wasn't disrespectful.

I found that out thirty years ago when I biked into Lakewood cemetery in Minneapolis to see my sister's newly placed headstone. The guard at the gate came running out after me and told me bikes were not allowed.

I locked my bike to the fence and walked to her gravesite. It pissed me off then. Still pisses me off.

Edit: That is a picture of my deceased sister in my avatar, giving me a ride on the handlebars, circa 1978.

Well apparently the guard must have thought you were just going to ride around the cemetery for recreation and not to pay your respects. I don't think there's anything disrespectful at all about riding your bike to a cemetery as long as you're not racing through trying to get a Strava KOM.

WizardOfBoz 08-31-16 10:08 PM

My BIL was riding and (I think) ignored some signs and was riding down a hill. Hit the wet sealcoat and went down. Significant infection (as in requiring an IV drip of antibiotics) and a couple of months to recover.

AlexCyclistRoch 09-01-16 05:36 AM

Around here, some of the local road departments have been using some sort of plasticated striping on the roads that gets slick as ice when wet. Imagine trying to make a left against heavy traffic after it rains, and dumping your bike when you hit the lane strip at speed!

spdracr39 09-01-16 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by benetga (Post 19014910)
Be careful of freshly seal coated driveways and a little rain. I went down this morning and it happened so fast I couldn't react to avoid it. I was halfway through a turn into of all places a cemetery when I fell. I have ridden a long time but this was a first. Just a heads up:)

I found that out the hard way a couple of weeks ago. Nothing broken on me or bike. It was like somebody just swept the bike out from under me.