Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   5'10" riding a 52 - too small??? - first road bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=146384)

djtrackie 10-15-05 03:53 AM

5'10" riding a 52 - too small??? - first road bike

Hey guys I went bike shopping yesterday... looking for my first road bike. I tested lots of different bikes in different sizes 52, 54, 54.8, 56. I was primarily looking at the Giant OCR3, Specialized Allez (base), and the Trek 1000.

At first, I was put on a size 54 trek 2100 - back hurts. It was really uncomfortable in my upper back to stretch my arms that far.

The Giant OCR3 size Medium fits me really well, i was really comfortable.

So I tried a size 52 Trek 1000 and that was good too.

The salesman thought that it was weird that i would be 5'10" and not "fit" a size 54. So we tried another size 54 and again it felt like a "stretch."

Is there something i'm doing wrong? seat not up high enough? wrong posture? Or could it just be that i'm more suited for a size 52?

russdaz 10-15-05 04:08 AM

nothing wrong with a 52 at your size mate, if the 52 is the most comfortable for you go with that.

im 5'11 and prefer the 52.

Lucky07 10-15-05 04:58 AM

If you feel good on it, then it fits. Def. take them out for test rides. Sitting on the bike in a store is one thing. Actual riding is something else entirely.

zooropa530 10-15-05 05:15 AM

Nothing wrong - I'm 5'10" and and ride a 52. I felt too stretched out on a 54; plus, I like the 52, feels much more agile.

tlupfer 10-15-05 06:23 AM

52 will work great--just make sure that instead of the lemond saddle height formula you use the walmart one.

Avalanche325 10-15-05 06:55 AM

I agree that a 52 may work for you.

I totally disagree with "If it's comfortable, it is a good fit" for someone that is not an experienced rider. What is comfortable is usually a bike that is too short in the top tube and puts you in a position that is too upright. In almost any sport, what feels comfortable to a beginner is wrong.

Going by your height is NOT how you size a bicycle.

You can start with an online fit calculator. Do a search, there are several good ones out there. They will give you a ballpark. You will have to take several measurments, inseam (real inseam, not pants length), thigh length, torso length, etc. You will find that the top tube length is the most vital measurment.

"How tall are you? This is the size you need." and "Stand over this bike. Hmmmm, looks good." are not fitting you to a bike, that is SELLING you a bike.

ViperZ 10-15-05 06:59 AM

Double posts? And each one has it's own slant? :lol:

You may have to increase the stem to a longer one to tune in the bike, as I mention in the other post.

I'm 5' 11", 32" inseam and ride a 52cm.

spingineer 10-15-05 07:27 AM

Avalanche is right on the button. Height alone is not a determining factor on fit. Some will have long legs and a short torso, while others will have short legs and a long torso. Top tube length could have a factor here, as well as handlebar to seat length. That could be why you feel outstretched more.

If possible, have the LBS put you on a fit kit, so you could try various changes in dimensions on the bike frame.

I personally ride a 51, and I am 5'5" with a 32" inseam.

Univega 10-15-05 07:28 AM

I am 5' 11" . When getting fitted for a 56, it just did not feel right.
However, when the Stem (ITM Mantis) was swapped out for a shorter one
with a lot more rise, the bike felt perfect.

Stv 10-15-05 07:49 AM

I have a 30" inseam and I am 5'9" and shrinking ! I ride a 54 Specialized Roubaix.

We flipped the stem to give the bars a little more rise height, even though I spend much of my ride in the drops. I didn't feel so stretched after the flip and then everything just gelled fit wise. You may want to think about trying that.

I notice that my arm position is rather straight in extension, good or bad, I find the 54 to be quite comfortable for me. I found the 52 feels too small for me. To each his own.

Good luck.

jfaul4820 10-15-05 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by djtrackie
Hey guys I went bike shopping yesterday... looking for my first road bike. I tested lots of different bikes in different sizes 52, 54, 54.8, 56. I was primarily looking at the Giant OCR3, Specialized Allez (base), and the Trek 1000.

At first, I was put on a size 54 trek 2100 - back hurts. It was really uncomfortable in my upper back to stretch my arms that far.

The Giant OCR3 size Medium fits me really well, i was really comfortable.

So I tried a size 52 Trek 1000 and that was good too.

The salesman thought that it was weird that i would be 5'10" and not "fit" a size 54. So we tried another size 54 and again it felt like a "stretch."

Is there something i'm doing wrong? seat not up high enough? wrong posture? Or could it just be that i'm more suited for a size 52?

I am 6 ft on a 58 and like it, lance is 5 10 on a 58 and loves it and you are 5 10 on a 52 and love it, life is good for all three of us.

IKYR 10-15-05 08:30 AM

I'm sorry guy but I have to jump out of lurk mode here...but a 52 for a 5'10" guy is too small especially for a Trek. With the saddle at the proper height to prevent knee injury you would need a ton of spacers and a high rise stem to get the bars even close to the right height. Unless you're significantly disproportionate you'll probably need something along the lines of a 56cm or 58 cm trek. If you're too stretched out look at shorter stems with more rise but don't get a ridiculously small frame.

wayne

John B. 10-15-05 08:47 AM

I'm 5'10.5" tall with a 32" inseam & my 54cm Specialized Roubaix Comp fits me fine. I imagine that the sizing fit on bikes like the Roubaix with the comfort frame geometry would differ from the sizing you might need on a conventional road bike frame?

ViperZ 10-15-05 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by IKYR
I'm sorry guy but I have to jump out of lurk mode here...but a 52 for a 5'10" guy is too small especially for a Trek. With the saddle at the proper height to prevent knee injury you would need a ton of spacers and a high rise stem to get the bars even close to the right height. Unless you're significantly disproportionate you'll probably need something along the lines of a 56cm or 58 cm trek. If you're too stretched out look at shorter stems with more rise but don't get a ridiculously small frame.

wayne

If You say so... :p

DJTrakie go to:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp

And run through the online fit processes... I would be surprised if you came up with a bike bigger than a 55-56cm, unless you have a really long, inseam longer than 32"

The calculators will also recommend stem length based on frame size with your body measurement inputs

Good Bike fit also requires that you educate yourself somewhat, rather than placing 100% stock in internet forum blathering (mine included) ;)

Grasschopper 10-15-05 08:53 AM

Well I am 5' 9 1/4" (so says the nurse at my drs office last week...I thought I was 5'10") and I ride a 56cm bike. 56cm Trek was too cramped for me but the 58cm bike is clearly too big. Every bike is different and every 5'10" is different. I also agree with Avalanche, if this is your first roadie the position will feel stretched...but that isn't to say a 52cm may not be the right size for you either. You have to ride them for a bit and a good fitting is for sure a good idea.

theshoemaker 10-15-05 09:42 AM

I'm new to the sport and just went through the whole buying process. It is REALLY important that you fit the bike I'm finding. I am 5'6" and wound up with a 54cm Trek. It feels a bit on the big side but it seems that the more you ride the more flexible you'll become and the flatter you'll lay accross the bike. Thus you'll likely need a longer top tube as you develop.

Having just gone through the fitting thing I'd be VERY skeptical that a 52 would fit someone 3+ inches taller than me. Concider your flexibility, and how often you think you'll ride. Also concider the type of riding you'll do. Long rides and hill climbing will have you wanting something with a SLIGHTLY shorter top tube than if you are doing shorter faster riding.

I'd guess you should be on a 56, 54minimum.

80vette 10-16-05 01:00 AM

It all depends on how you are built.
I am 5'8" and ride a 55 lemond and fit comfortably on a 58 trek madone 5.2.
As long as you and the bike fit well together .... the rest does not matter.

aadhils 10-16-05 01:14 AM

I'm 5'4" and 56cm fits fine, and I prefer em. But then, I've never tried a smaller size....

djtrackie 10-16-05 01:32 AM

Okay guys, here is an update

I rode it again today at another LBS and again i found myself just feeling slightly stretched on a 54. Very slightly... maybe after some proper fitting it would feel better?

I used the wrenchscience thing and here is what happened.

http://www.trackiepro.com/ebay/bikesize.JPG

So i guess this kinda confirms my comfort on a 52? Maybe step up to a 54 for when my flexibility improves?

btw.. i think i've decided on a Trek 1500!

Elvish Legion 10-16-05 01:37 AM

It all depends on your size (not hieght) I'm about 5'9 and I have a 54 (inseam of 32) Sometimes I wish I had bought a 52 just for the ability to get more comfortable on it. Nothing wrong with a size (or maybe two?) smaller as you can always raise your post

djtrackie 10-16-05 01:44 AM

I just redid my inseam with the "book" method... and apparently i'm a 31 instead of a 30.5 so they recommended a size 53.

djtrackie 10-16-05 02:09 AM

here is competitivecyclist.com's findings:

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 31
Trunk: 25
Forearm: 14.5
Arm: 30.5
Thigh: 23.25
Lower Leg: 20.5
Sternal Notch: 54.5

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 51.0 - 51.5
Seat tube range c-t: 52.6 - 53.1
Top tube length: 57.4 - 57.8
Stem Length: 11.9 - 12.5
BB-Saddle Position: 67.3 - 69.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 56.6 - 57.2
Saddle Setback: 4.4 - 4.8
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 52.2 - 52.7
Seat tube range c-t: 53.8 - 54.3
Top tube length: 57.4 - 57.8
Stem Length: 10.8 - 11.4
BB-Saddle Position: 66.5 - 68.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 57.4 - 58.0
Saddle Setback: 5.6 - 6.0

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 53.9 - 54.4
Seat tube range c-t: 55.5 - 56.0
Top tube length: 58.6 - 59.0
Stem Length: 11.0 - 11.6
BB-Saddle Position: 64.8 - 66.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.1 - 59.7
Saddle Setback: 5.1 - 5.5

--------------------------------------------

Okay, so it again confirms my "feel"

Opinions please!!!

djtrackie 10-16-05 02:44 AM

Oh man, i jsut realized that there was a double post. I'm so sorry.. i clicked "post" and the page wasn't loading so i did it again. SORRY!

ViperZ 10-16-05 06:59 AM

Based on the Fit model I would say the 52 is a good choice for you as it places you in the middle of the range. You can always ride a range of frame sizes and being 1cm off is no big deal. You are well with in the ball park.

I chose my 52cm 16 years ago over my 54cm I was also riding at the time. I didn't have an online fit calculator then and just went with what I read, and what I felt I liked.

The old addage is, it's easier to size a smaller bike to a bigger rider, than it is to size a bigger bike to a smaller rider.

SDRider 10-16-05 07:32 AM

I'm 5'11" and I ride a 56. Personally, I could do with the top tube being a tad bit shorter but I like the frame size otherwise.