Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I don't care, I'm going to commute right now! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=140766)

CagerTools 09-22-05 05:36 PM

I don't care, I'm going to commute right now!

Okay,

Check this out:

My workplace is 4.6 miles away.

It has a bike lane the whole way.

I don't have a helmet.

I'm kinda scared to do it.

But I don't care,I'm going to f'in commute and see what its like, the whole way there, and time it.

I'm a personal trainer too, so its an easy way to get my cardio in, among other things.

I'll report back my opinions and results... i really should get a helmet though...

ellenDSD 09-22-05 05:41 PM

I've gone without a helmet in the past. My son's accusing gaze showed me the error of my ways. So yeah, go to Target, Wal-Mart, where ever you have to and get yourself a helmet. Then ride on Dude and have a great time :D

Eggplant Jeff 09-22-05 06:56 PM

Yeah you can get a basic helmet pretty cheap. I think my son's cost me $10 and that was at a LBS!

The main thing you get for more money is more vents, which you may want later, but heck, for just keeping your egg from getting scrambled, anything is better than nothing.

Watch out for intersections on the bike lane. Often bike lanes make some major no-nos (going "straight" on the right side of a right turn lane, or disappearing, for example) at intersections. Also watch for the bike lane being in the door zone of parked cars.

Other than that, have fun! And good luck! 4.6 miles is almost the exact same as my commute. Wear your brightest shirt and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid to take the vehicle lane if you have to, especially if there's more than one lane, cars can pass you in the passing lane.

cooker 09-22-05 07:45 PM

Go for it.

Caveats:

As someone who once cracked a helmet in a fall, I BELIEVE!!!

Bike lanes are great in the middle of the block except when they're obstructed...learn to shoulder check early and signal a lane change into the middle of the car lane.

Bike lanes do nothing for you at intersections, except perhaps lure you into danger. You do NOT want to find yourself between the curb and a right-turning vehicle, especially a large truck, as the rear wheels squeeze in on you as he turns, and may run right over you. Lots of cyclists have been killed that way.

When you're passing along the right of a row of gridlocked cars, watch for sudden door openings.

tulip 09-22-05 08:48 PM

cardio don't matter none if yer brain don't work. get a helmet.

531phile 09-22-05 08:53 PM

I consider myself a cheap guy, but I'm more than willing to fork over $30 for a helmet that will potentially help save my life. You will also ride faster and more confidently with a helmet knowing that you have some protection.

CagerTools 09-22-05 09:23 PM

hey all

okay, it was FUN.

I felt free out there. My commute is seriously a straight shot down the road, 4.6 miles. It can't get easier.

I know what you mean... there is an intersection where the bike lane goes into a right hand turn lane, so I just either go to the left back to the other lane, or if the light is red, step to the right and pretend i'm a pedestrian.

I think I'm going to buy a helmet first thing tomorrow.

I love this. I seriously was fearing this whole thing for some reason. Now that I have a good bike that easier to ride (a hybrid instead of a shorter mountain bike), I really like it. It takes me 20 minutes to get there, going at a decent speed the whole way. I love the pump in my quads from doing it too...

And I LOVE not paying for gas... when I got this job I felt bad because I had to use my car (or at least thought)... I'm a student but bike to school... the only thing I'm fearing is not having a ton of energy... like the last few days I've slept at least 8 hours a night, and have eaten very well, and today I had a lot of caffeine...

So, how will it be without all that extra energy? I guess I'll see... of course I did talk to a beautiful girl today, so that got my adrenaline going too...

Until Later,
Peace

tokolosh 09-22-05 09:35 PM

okay, it was FUN
:D :D :D :D :D

absolutely get a helmet. you ever seen brain damage in action? it's not nice.

gear 09-23-05 08:55 AM

Don't get a helmet, my profession is working to help brain injury patients recover and you could provide me with some future work.

gear 09-23-05 08:57 AM

I on the otherhand will always wear a helmet, because I don't want to go through what I see others going through every day.

rule 09-23-05 09:08 AM

Get a helmet...and enjoy. ;)

nitroRoo 09-23-05 09:23 AM

I got a nice specialized helmet at my local goodwill for $2 ;)

CBBaron 09-23-05 09:26 AM

Sounds like a wonderful commute for a start. Be careful though as you may soon find it too short and easy. Next thing you know your commute will be 4.6miles in the monring take 20 miles to get home.
Craig

Walkafire 09-23-05 09:30 AM

4.6 miles in 20 min?
Straight Shot?

You got Air in them thar tires?

LOL just givin ya sheet!

"And I LOVE not paying for gas... when I got this job I felt bad because I had to use my car (or at least thought)... I'm a student but bike to school... the only thing I'm fearing is not having a ton of energy... like the last few days I've slept at least 8 hours a night, and have eaten very well, and today I had a lot of caffeine..."

You gotta luv it huh?
I haven't bought Gas since June! Been riding 100% everywhere! Hoping I can make it through the Winter too.... Guys at work give me a hard time till I tell them how much I spend on Gas... which is ZERO!
Keep Going!!!! (Git-R-Done)

konageezer 09-23-05 09:37 AM

UNTIL you get a helmet, avoid slamming your head on the pavement, curb, sidewalk, cars (both moving and stationary), fire hydrants, signposts, telephone poles, and trees. If you are unable to avoid this, remember to get a bystander to tell your wife/girlfriend/mom that you loved her.

Good luck!

LóFarkas 09-23-05 10:25 AM

Helmet nazis everywhere.

I know it's safer to wear one, but I personally will never wear one on my commute, because
1. It is HOT in a helmet. Very hot. If you have long hair like me, it' very very hot.
2. It is heavy as hell, and makes my neck hurt
3. Would be one more clumsy item to carry with me

I take a small risk to avoid continuous inconvenience. As an adult, that is my personal decision you all have nothing to do with. Do you guys stop every messenger who rides a brakeless fixie and tell them to put on a front brake? I guess not. They know that it will take longer to stop this way, and that riding this way is more dangerous, so what? They are right in taking that risk, even though it will not make their ride more comfortable, just more fun/cooler.

Life is full of taking risks.

If I was racing, I would wear a helmet. When I ride in a hilly area on roads I don't know, I wear one. On my commute, I don't even consider it. I try to avoid slamming my head on the pavement, curb, sidewalk, cars (both moving and stationary), fire hydrants, signposts, telephone poles, and trees. So far, I have been successful.

konageezer 09-23-05 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by LóFarkas
Helmet nazis everywhere. … Do you guys stop every messenger who rides a brakeless fixie and tell them to put on a front brake?

Nazis. How refreshing.

The OP went on to an internet forum to proclaim his helmetless concerns. If he receives opinions, I'm sure he'll be able to deal with it, you know, with counselling.

max-a-mill 09-23-05 10:45 AM

los farkas while i respect your right not to wear a helmet some of your reasoning is a little silly...

1. hot helmet... you ever try one of them newfangled vented ones? they are not so hot. i had a limar helmet recently (until i left it on my cars roof and drove away) that was almost as cool as wearin nothing at all (of course well vented helmets cost $$$).

2. wieght? you kiddin me? my helmets weigh maybe half a pound each... again, the more you pay the lighter. wieght is really not an issue unless yo got an old skateboard helmet or something.

3. somethinelse to carry? i use mine as a bsket for my gloves wallet and waterbottle on the way into work so i actually end up with less to carry.

like i said i ain't no helemt nazi, but guys who can't bother to wear a helmet but then wear a baseball hat (or a winter beanie in the middle of summer) instead??? those guys i'd question if i ever stoped alongside them or something... not wearing a helmet seems to be one of those stupid fashion trends perpetuated by the messnengers and messenger-like kiddies round here. there really is no reason not to wear one in my opinion (though i do admit i still go on the odd ride without one once in a while).

hypocrite out.

Eggplant Jeff 09-23-05 11:25 AM

OK enough helmet arguing. It is obvious that the prevailing opinion is: wear one; but there are a few folks who have their own reasons and do not want to.

CagerTools, not sure I understand what you're asking about being "without" all that extra energy? Once you've been commuting for a couple weeks, you'll find that you have more energy most of the time due to being in better shape. Right around the commute it is good to have a snack to keep your energy up, I keep nutrigrain bars in my desk and just have one of those in the AM after I get to work if I start feeling a little low. Although when I eat a high-protien breakfast I can usually make it until lunch without a problem.

halfbiked 09-23-05 11:39 AM

I know it's safer to wear one, but I personally will never wear one on my commute, because
1. It is HOT in a helmet. Very hot. If you have long hair like me, it' very very hot.
2. It is heavy as hell, and makes my neck hurt
3. Would be one more clumsy item to carry with me

While I don't disagree with your message, the style needs a little work.

Personally I go with or without helmet depending on the roads I'm riding. My commute is 90% bike path or park road, so I skipped the helmet today. But if I'm riding on roads I'm much more inclined to strap one on. Or riding off-road, come to think of it.

Edit: 'heavy as hell' ??? Are you thinking motorcycle helmet??

AndrewP 09-23-05 11:44 AM

I always wear a helmet when cycling, because that is what I am accustomed to doing. I never wear a helmet when I climb the step ladder to change a light bulb in a room with a high ceiling. These activities carry similar low level risks of head injury.

Totoro 09-23-05 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Walkafire
4.6 miles in 20 min?

I think he wrote 20 miles, not minutes. Maybe he has to make a detour to his girlfriend before coming home to the family. :eek:

Certainly if it were minutes, it wouldn't be much of a "cardio workout," but the visit to the girlfriend might be. ;)

Eggplant Jeff 09-23-05 11:51 AM

Hey, my 4.5 mile commute takes me 20 minutes... I'm on a 45-lb hybrid and part of it is on a gravel path... it's plenty cardio.

Of course, a straight shot down a paved road... ;)

LóFarkas 09-23-05 12:30 PM

Hey, guys, my damn neck hurts without 250-300g of extra weight pulling my head down. It _is_ a lot when you ride with low handlebars, your head tilted way back. And it _is_ hot whenever temp goes above 25°C despite any vents it might have. Whatever... I'm just fed up with the helmet mantra that goes on here and in the fixie forum. Personal decision.

To the OP: big ups!

20 mins for 4,6 mi is a nice pace. My average commute speed is thereabouts, too, including slowing down b/c traffic, lights, corners, peds, etc. I overtake about 50 times as many people as overtake me. That should be a clue...

You are a personal trainer, right? Supposedly, you yourself excercise _A LOT_. 10 miles a day of biking at a moderate pace (read: fast, but not all-out) should be nothing at all to you. If you don't ride a bike normally, maybe you'll feel a bit of strain from the new kind of excercise, not much anyway.

Rodney Crater 09-23-05 01:54 PM

...1. It is HOT in a helmet. Very hot. If you have long hair like me, it' very very hot.

Obvious solution: Cut hair !

I had to choose between not biking because of a hot head and getting my hair cut way short this summer. Hey no choice for me. The biking won hands down and off went the hair { I almost had my long sought after pony tail too :( pout pout. }

If female... : I thought Demi Moore looked hot in GI Jane, oohrah! ( but, of course, I was in the Corps for 8 years don't cha know)