Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Buying a hardtail advice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193943)

weight4it 02-14-20 01:59 PM

Buying a hardtail advice

I'm looking for tips on buying a 2nd hand hardtail,

I went to view a strongly spec'd boardman 650b today, featuring expensive drivetrain parts inc. a dropper seatpost fitted - what a fantastic invention!

negatives:
1. it had upgraded forks, however the lock-out wasn't working - is it possible to get them 'repaired', the owner said that tokens had been fitted inside the fork tubes.
the dial for rebound was also quite tight I couldn't really test it out.

Should I negotiate a discount based on the fork needing attention?

2. hairline crack in the paint near the join of top-tube to seat tube. Not sure if it was just the paint, should I be concerned?

Other than that it felt really nice to ride.

This will be my first suspension bike, I don't want a 29er just yet, but keen to get 26 or 27.5, mainly for doing wheelies!

It seems only the FS version has Rockshox Sektor forks, however I want a hardtail, so ideally the spec. of the Boardman Pro 29er looks very good, but I want smaller wheels,

is there a smaller wheeled version of this, with Rockshox forks? I take it I could always upgrade the fork in the future.

qclabrat 02-16-20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by weight4it (Post 21327970)
I'm looking for tips on buying a 2nd hand hardtail,

I went to view a strongly spec'd boardman 650b today, featuring expensive drivetrain parts inc. a dropper seatpost fitted - what a fantastic invention!

negatives:
1. it had upgraded forks, however the lock-out wasn't working - is it possible to get them 'repaired', the owner said that tokens had been fitted inside the fork tubes.
the dial for rebound was also quite tight I couldn't really test it out.

Should I negotiate a discount based on the fork needing attention?

2. hairline crack in the paint near the join of top-tube to seat tube. Not sure if it was just the paint, should I be concerned?

Other than that it felt really nice to ride.

This will be my first suspension bike, I don't want a 29er just yet, but keen to get 26 or 27.5, mainly for doing wheelies!

It seems only the FS version has Rockshox Sektor forks, however I want a hardtail, so ideally the spec. of the Boardman Pro 29er looks very good, but I want smaller wheels,

is there a smaller wheeled version of this, with Rockshox forks? I take it I could always upgrade the fork in the future.

hairline crack? walk

weight4it 03-06-20 05:01 AM

That's exactly what I did, I think the guy selling the bike knew it too, someone else bought it in the end. It was local so no sweat.

I got an old Whyte 26er in the end, it's got a Fox Float and a Rockshox dropper, a good introduction to the world of MTB :-)

qclabrat 03-06-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by weight4it (Post 21355437)
That's exactly what I did, I think the guy selling the bike knew it too, someone else bought it in the end. It was local so no sweat.

I got an old Whyte 26er in the end, it's got a Fox Float and a Rockshox dropper, a good introduction to the world of MTB :-)

pics or it didn't happen....

weight4it 03-23-20 06:03 AM

Well I ended up getting two, 1. Large 2. Medium.

the second was a slightly better fit than the first and a good price... so the plan is to sell the Large however now I'm tempted to keep it, as of yesterday I spotted the Medium frame paint chip and cracked paint along the weld of the top tube to seat tube... see photos below.

I booked the bike straight in for a bottom bracket change at my local bike shop last week, they were so busy it's not going in until this week.

Yesterday I went for a ride and on the way back I noticed a paint chip on the top tube to seat tube weld. Now I'm concerned about this visible crack in the paint - what do you guys think?

No idea if it's OK to keep riding or not, let alone is it worth spending any money on a new BB?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b651c02330.jpg
no flash

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db3eb61769.jpg
flash on

Wileyrat 03-23-20 10:39 AM

Looks like a paint chip to me. I’d wonder if something smacked it there. I kind of doubt it’s a weld crack, but I’m not a structural engineer either.

weight4it 03-24-20 03:13 PM

Thanks Wileyrat, you and three independent opinions from local bike shops seem to agree it's just a paint chip. I've got it booked in for a new BB and general service. Feel like I should be painting over it but I guess it adds to the charm.

qclabrat 03-26-20 06:10 PM

which Whyte are they? Don't see many of them by me

Wileyrat 03-29-20 02:48 PM

I'd probably touch it up, assuming the rest of the paint looks good.