Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Local saninita winds in LA (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=708103)

evilcryalotmore 01-19-11 05:18 PM

Local saninita winds in LA

Any of you guys having trouble commuting with deep section rims?

Today, i was riding with the wind and i had to veer left the whole time, A bus crossed me blocking the wind, And i almost hit its tire...

Maybe i should switch back to the open pros for now.

poo i just realized i spelled it wrong. Its santa anita winds

Leukybear 01-19-11 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore (Post 12100985)

Double poo; it goes "santa ana winds". ;)

And nope, I've never had problems with wind gust and I ride with b43's on my track bikes and even deeper s80's on my roadie

bhop 01-19-11 05:33 PM

I have had problems with gusts on occasions. It seems to happen with my road bike too though.. I just get in the drops, or bullhorn ends, depending on the bike, and power through as best I can.

evilcryalotmore 01-19-11 05:35 PM

When i was in Santa barbara, I had this problem on the trails, i couldnt stay straight, i think i'll ride my commuter tomorrow. I road the track bike today

vw addict 01-19-11 05:38 PM

I like commuting on my box section rims. I have a lot of crosswinds where i ride, so you kinda get used to them. But they can certainly catch you off guard if you aren't careful.

yummygooey 01-19-11 05:39 PM

I'm pretty sure your body is what's causing your need to oversteer more than your deep section rims. But, then again, your wheels are 25 lbs, so whatever I say is invalid.

evilcryalotmore 01-19-11 05:42 PM

I do sit in a upright position.. Should i try switching over to hoods? or drops?

Leukybear 01-19-11 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore (Post 12101075)
I do sit in a upright position.. Should i try switching over to hoods? or drops?

Don't you mean hoods and drops? :rolleyes: Yea it helps, especially in the drops.

evilcryalotmore 01-19-11 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by happypills (Post 12101094)
Don't you mean hoods and drops? :rolleyes: Yea it helps, especially in the drops.

Yeah, Im having an off day. I just got back from school after a 4 day weekend end. Good thing is i aced all my finals!

yott 01-19-11 06:07 PM

thanks for reminding me that i need to go to santa anita mall.

macnab 01-19-11 08:51 PM

Back in high school I lost my license for a while and had to ride my bike to work from Camarillo to Ventura. I remember once when the Santa Anas were blowing it felt like the wind blew me all the way into work. I'd never ridden in that fast. For some reason I don't recall the ride home. I think my brain has erased the memory to prevent additional suffering.

mikeetow 01-19-11 09:25 PM

no trouble.

eja_ bottecchia 01-19-11 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore (Post 12100985)
Any of you guys having trouble commuting with deep section rims?

Today, i was riding with the wind and i had to veer left the whole time, A bus crossed me blocking the wind, And i almost hit its tire...

Maybe i should switch back to the open pros for now.

Deep section rims are not my problem in a cross wind. It is the bladed, aero spokes on my Ksyrium wheels (on the Litespeed) that are a royal PITA in cross winds. I never have that problem with my old Mavic rims (in the Bottecchia) and regular DB spokes.

When a cross wind hits the Ksyriums, it feels as if someone has just grabbed the wheels and is trying to knock me off the bike.

Arggggggggggggg

evilcryalotmore 01-19-11 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 12102203)
Deep section rims are not my problem in a cross wind. It is the bladed, aero spokes on my Ksyrium wheels (on the Litespeed) that are a royal PITA in cross winds. I never have that problem with my old Mavic rims (in the Bottecchia) and regular DB spokes.

When a cross wind hits the Ksyriums, it feels as if someone has just grabbed the wheels and is trying to knock me off the bike.

Arggggggggggggg

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjusti...06_19_08_3.jpg

Like that? I've seen on a time trial race someone over cobblestone with a disc front and rear get pushed over. He screamed and his butt slide cross the wet cobble stone.

Can't wait till giro d'italia

PluperfectArson 01-19-11 10:11 PM

Show the wind who is boss, make it your *****!

DrakeHawton 01-19-11 10:50 PM

rims not so much, spoke cards kill me with cross winds. riding home i took my hands off and immediatly just veered to the right off the path almost eating **** haha. head on winds are the worst though; pedal as hard as you can and you only get up to like 20mph, fuuuuu...