Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pedal style across different types of bikes. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1199593)

Melvang 04-28-20 12:04 AM

Pedal style across different types of bikes.

Does anyone else use road bike pedals on a mountain bike, or mountain bike pedals on a road bike to avoid different shoes/cleats/different feel for clipping in/other reason? I ask because I have been using egg beaters since 2004 (still have my first pair on my Kona), so when I bought my Cannondale, I put the same pedals on that to avoid another pair of shoes, and I love the float they afford.

Anyone else do the same?

Gconan 04-28-20 12:17 AM

I use SPD mountain bike pedals on my road bike and gravel bike. I use flats on my Mountain bike.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5248b04206.jpg

rogerm3d 04-28-20 12:28 AM

I ran mountain bike spds across my bikes (putting the lighter ones on my road bike), and switched to MKS US-B (japanese Atac copies) pedals this last year. Like you I don't want to deal with multiple shoes. I also enjoy being able to walk easily unlike many road cleats. I am eyeing the soon to be release Cyclo pedal from Time as it will provide the support and low center of a road pedal while using the same cleat as the atac pedals.

Tony Marley 04-28-20 03:08 AM

I use SPD pedals on all my bikes for the very reason you mention.

jpescatore 04-28-20 05:15 AM

I used to use SPD pedals on both my hybrid bike (used on unpaved roads, trails) and my road bike. But, I tried SPD-SL pedals and shoes and really preferred it. So, I went to two pairs of shoes. Splitting the mileage means the SPD shoes last for years, as most of my miles are on the road bike. Most of my road rides don't involve much walking but most of my unpaved/triail rides do.

I recently replaced the 1992 hybrid with what today would be called a gravel bike and kept the SPD, but went to a 2 sided pedal with one side a flat platform - now I can ride with my wife or others and just wear sneakers we'll be going slow or walking a lot.

freeranger 04-28-20 06:52 AM

I tried clipless pedals on my road bike. I rode a mtn.bike for decades before owning a road bike. Using flat pedals with pins on the mtn.bike. Using the same on my road bike, just never got used to the clipless. If I decide to buy a hybrid, will be using flat pedals with pins on it also.

pdlamb 04-28-20 07:11 AM

Speedplay Frogs on everything (MTB pedals with unrestricted float). I occasionally get some looks at the beginning of a group ride (remember those?). If it's long enough to regroup and resupply at a store, the looks turn admiring -- because I just walk around the store, while the folks with road bike pedals are "skating." Not to mention I'm there with the rest of the B group. :)

Slightspeed 04-28-20 09:24 AM

SPD mtn type pedals on all my road bikes, except for Eroica where they still require old school quill pedals and toe clips. The rest of the year, the vintage bikes go back to SPDs too. I've tried Speedplay and Shimano road SPDs, but decided on mtn SPDs to not have to worry about which shoe for which bike. I like the SPDs double sided, easy in and out too, especially in city traffic. I've never owned a true mtn bike, but I like the mtn style pedals. Also the cleats last forever, and are easily walkable off the bike, not so with most road specific cleat types,

Rides4Beer 04-28-20 11:14 AM

Yup, SPDs on my gravel bike and my road bike. XT Trails on the gravel, and regular XT for the road. I tried the single sided A600s on the road bike, but figured out that I prefer double sided, so I swapped for XTs.

Berg417448 04-28-20 12:05 PM

I use MTB pedals and cleats on all my bikes.

Kapusta 04-28-20 12:30 PM

Flats and MTB Clipless (Speedplay Frogs) on both my mountain and road/gravel bike.

Ironfish653 04-28-20 12:47 PM

Pretty much the same as all the above ^^^

Any of the 2-bolt SPD styles work well for most cycling styles / disciplines short of road racing.

The 3-bolt SL / Keo are great as long as you don’t plan on going far once you’re off the bike.

I have both styles, but I have multiple sets of the 2-bolt. SPDs

jefnvk 04-28-20 12:54 PM

Double sided flat/SPD pedals on most of my road/touring/general bikes. Flats only on the fat bike. No road cleats on anything.

skidder 04-28-20 12:58 PM

Flats on all my bicycles. Crank Bros 50/50s on the older ones (back when those pedals were reasonably priced) and some similar ones from Nashbar on the newer ones (prior to Nashbar disappearing).

hillyman 04-28-20 01:05 PM

Shimano XT PD-T8000 SPD 'touring pedals'. Fancy and expensive way to get a half mtb and half flat. But they are sweet

cyccommute 04-28-20 01:28 PM

Only mountain bike here as well. Used road shoes for a while 25+ years ago but I just couldn’t see the reason. Walking in road shoes isn’t something that is pleasant. I’ve even had to walk about 75% of a marathon in bike shoes...glad they were mountain bike shoes.

tagaproject6 04-28-20 01:41 PM

SPDs on all bikes. Simple.

livedarklions 04-28-20 01:58 PM

All Raceface Chesters on everything. Nothing better on a 150 mile ride than being able to stop somewhere, hop off the bike and take a walk, and then hop right back on.

pbass 04-28-20 09:25 PM

Flats with aggressive pins and Five Ten shoes on everything I ride - from pavement to dirt.

Dr.Lou 04-29-20 05:37 AM

I use look pedals on my road bikes and platforms on my fatty and mountain bikes. I am currently experimenting with CB Mallet Es on my gravel bike.

Phil_gretz 04-29-20 05:44 AM

SPD-SL on all performance-oriented road bikes.

SPD on utility and mountain bikes. Also SPD on fixed gear bikes, when I have one. I don't currently.

SPD with campus style one-sided flat pedals on my tourer.

The reasons should be obvious.

JayKay3000 04-29-20 06:03 AM

I only have 1 bike so I only need to use one style of pedal.

jackb 04-29-20 10:12 AM

I went from using toe clips to cleats to platform pedals on all my bicycles over the last thirty years or so. All my bikes have platform BMX pedals. I like being able to wear any kind of footwear and now that I am old and with an artificial knee, I like not having to twist out of a clipless setup. Platforms work really well for me.