Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has the "golden age" of custom steel bikes passed? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1208216)

noimagination 07-22-20 01:24 PM

Has the "golden age" of custom steel bikes passed?

No Richard Sachs, no Tom Kellog, no Dario Pegoretti, no Ben Serotta, no Brent Steelman ...
Not sure about Sacha White, Kelly Bradford...

Koyote 07-22-20 01:37 PM

I think you haven't been spending enough time on the internet. There are plenty of lust-worthy steel frames out there.

vespasianus 07-22-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21601501)
I think you haven't been spending enough time on the internet. There are plenty of lust-worthy steel frames out there.

Yeah. Tons of great steel builders out there. Tommasini, Battaglin, Hampsten, Vanilla, Bishop, IF, etc. So many too choose from.

Mulberry20 07-22-20 02:37 PM

Add DeSalvo, Cicli Barco, long waits record demand. Demand for bikes from Pegoretti’s shop is higher now actually.

Koyote 07-22-20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by vespasianus (Post 21601628)
Yeah. Ton's of great steel builders out there. Tommasini, Battaglin, Hampsten, Vanilla, Bishop, IF, etc. So many too choose from.

With the popularization of air-hardened steels like Reynolds 853, even tig-welded frames are more than strong enough for a lifetime of hard use...Which has made possible much more economical options in both off-the-rack and custom steel frames. And if you want decorative lugs, there are plenty of great builders doing that, too.

If anything, it seems like we are -right now - in a golden age for steel bike frames.

Joe Bikerider 07-22-20 03:07 PM

What about my Della Santa? Rides great for me, especially as a climber. That’s why I bought it. Test ride from Orinda Cycle and straight up the hill as far as I could go up the hill until I really couldn’t go any farther. What a bike! Sorry your ideas are so limited

noimagination 07-22-20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21601501)

But how many of the current generation of steel frame builders have had the opportunity to work closely with professional/olympic-class racers and have had their designs tested in races, as the "old guard" did? Does that affect the quality of the design and the skill of the builder?

Climb14er 07-22-20 03:10 PM

No... I ride a Waterford RS33 Campy Record. Best bike I have ever ridden in over sixty years of riding. Great company... phenomenal workmanship, ride quality, performance and customer service.

indyfabz 07-22-20 03:23 PM

This thread lacks imagination.

Koyote 07-22-20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by noimagination (Post 21601700)
(1) But how many of the current generation of steel frame builders have had the opportunity to work closely with professional/olympic-class racers and have had their designs tested in races, as the "old guard" did? (2) Does that affect the quality of the design and the skill of the builder?

1) I don't know.
2) No.

Mulberry20 07-22-20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Climb14er (Post 21601701)
No... I ride a Waterford RS33 Campy Record. Best bike I have ever ridden in over sixty years of riding. Great company... phenomenal workmanship, ride quality, performance and customer service.

Picture?

Litespud 07-22-20 03:52 PM

But how many of the current generation of steel frame builders have had the opportunity to work closely with professional/olympic-class racers and have had their designs tested in races, as the "old guard" did? Does that affect the quality of the design and the skill of the builder?

Those old frame builders were working with racers to build the best no-holds-barred racing bikes possible, because racing bikes were steel. That space has been taken over by CF, and generally "off the peg" CF at that. Steel frame builders are now building bespoke cruisers for the well-heeled "civilian" cyclist - not saying that these aren't lightweight, well-handling bikes, often rolling works of art, but they're not balls-to-the-wall racing bikes, so input from actual racers is irrelevant. Racers aren't interested in pretty steel bikes, they want light, bordering-on-disposible, plastic bikes.

Climb14er 07-22-20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21601749)
Picture?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b3504c647.jpg

Mulberry20 07-22-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Climb14er (Post 21601760)

That is a beauty. I bet the bottom bracket and seat post don’t squeak. 😂

Climb14er 07-22-20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21601776)
That is a beauty. I bet the bottom bracket and seat post don’t squeak. 😂

You would win your bet with that one.

Pop N Wood 07-22-20 04:08 PM

Tell me you won't rub one out to this

Waterford's Latest Lightest R33 Frameset from Yellow Jersey

Koyote 07-22-20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Litespud (Post 21601757)
Those old frame builders were working with racers to build the best no-holds-barred racing bikes possible, because racing bikes were steel. That space has been taken over by CF, and generally "off the peg" CF at that. Steel frame builders are now building bespoke cruisers for the well-heeled "civilian" cyclist - not saying that these aren't lightweight, well-handling bikes, often rolling works of art, but they're not balls-to-the-wall racing bikes, so input from actual racers is irrelevant. Racers aren't interested in pretty steel bikes, they want light, bordering-on-disposible, plastic bikes.

You are correct that carbon fiber frames now dominate the racing scene… But there are still plenty of custom builders who are producing relatively light steel frames targeted toward racers. As a mature technology, any decent builder, who is interested in doing so, can build such a frame.

shelbyfv 07-22-20 04:50 PM

Interesting. This sounds like fan boy Kool-Aid but it's not impossible. Anyone know of any racer inspired/ builder specific design changes that would be relevant on a bike for today's enthusiast?

indyfabz 07-22-20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood (Post 21601796)

I won’t, but whatever floats your boat.

shelbyfv 07-22-20 05:09 PM

Those guys need to hire a bike fitter! Can't believe they are selling custom bikes with skyscraper stems! Not to mention MTB seatpost extension. Isn't the purpose of custom to get a fit w/o kludges....?

WhyFi 07-22-20 05:23 PM

Not even an angry one.

WhyFi 07-22-20 05:24 PM

Also, no mention of Baum in this thread. For shame.

Koyote 07-22-20 05:28 PM

I like Waterford, but that is a fugly bike.

vespasianus 07-22-20 05:32 PM

Here is a good example of how steel can still be a viable option in the peloton:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/bike...ife-in-girona/

unterhausen 07-22-20 06:15 PM

Bike racing is a dying sport. I always thought that building bikes for racers was overblown anyway. Lots of builders out there building nice bikes for people that actually pay for their bikes.