Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Busted! A Bike Seat Bites the Dust (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172939)

allout1 05-13-19 04:42 PM

Busted! A Bike Seat Bites the Dust
 
Weeeeeyell....you know...how to goes. So there I were, a bustin' down, and a breaking off a walkway's ledge when I would come plum down on the seat to catch me by the hulking hamstring like a baseball cleat, but by jum...broke off the blam jam seat. LOL CRIMENEY!!!! :50:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5dfea1eb7d.jpg

...so...onward to my scrap bike for a spare seat post. Hehe. I still haven't bought a new rig for anything. :ride: Just ridin' until no more parts. That is high time.

And by the way these legs are rocket shots now. Heeeeeyell, I'm out there keeping up with the main traffic now. And acceleration from 0mph to 25mph??? People remark. Hehe. No standing up, no special gearing, nothing. Just prump, plum muscles. :speedy:

TimothyH 05-13-19 05:07 PM

Carbon would have survived.

just goes to show you.


-Tim-

TiHabanero 05-13-19 05:08 PM

Read up on Cindy Whiteheads adventure with a busted off seat post! Amazing what she did!

BlazingPedals 05-13-19 05:44 PM

Seat is fine, seatpost is a goner. You must weigh too much.

GlennR 05-13-19 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20928389)
Carbon would have survived.

just goes to show you.


-Tim-

Never knew metal can ASSplode ;)

TimothyH 05-13-19 07:03 PM

Seriously, the bolt was probably way too tight.

That seatpost is a pierced femoral artery waiting to happen. If it does then you have about 90 seconds to make peace with God.


-Tim-

Ironfish653 05-13-19 07:30 PM

Was this the same seatpost from this thread?

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ing-loose.html

Congratulations, you found out why, and why the fix wasn't "Just crank down harder" :thumb:

Also, you're not the only big guy here, maybe you wouldn't break so much stuff if you learn to actually ride the thing.

Marcus_Ti 05-13-19 07:57 PM


Originally Posted by Ironfish653 (Post 20928613)
Was this the same seatpost from this thread?

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ing-loose.html

Congratulations, you found out why, and why the fix wasn't "Just crank down harder" :thumb:

Also, you're not the only big guy here, maybe you wouldn't break so much stuff if you learn to actually ride the thing.

The seatpost binder bolt...is a nice touch....

mixteup 05-14-19 05:39 AM

Seat adjusted all the way back = Even more leverage on the clamp

Lemond1985 05-14-19 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20928589)
Seriously, the bolt was probably way too tight.

That seatpost is a pierced femoral artery waiting to happen. If it does then you have about 90 seconds to make peace with God.


-Tim-

That's a nice visual. :eek:

The amount of blood loss would be rather impressive. From zero blood, to 3 gallons ... in 90 seconds. I'm pretty sure people would remark about that.

shelbyfv 05-14-19 05:53 AM

Darn, a close miss for major gene pool improvement. Maybe next time....

zarbog 05-14-19 06:01 AM

You stayed seated while jumping curbs :eek:

TimothyH 05-14-19 06:28 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20929023)
That's a nice visual. :eek:

The amount of blood loss would be rather impressive. From zero blood, to 3 gallons ... in 90 seconds. I'm pretty sure people would remark about that.

I don't know that a human body contains three gallons of blood but more like 1.25.

There is an internet article floating around somewhere which claims someone died on the side of the road when a seatpost broke and pierced his femoral artery. I'm not claiming it is true but I was an altar server at a funeral for someone who shot himself in the femoral artery while cleaning his gun. He was gone in less than two minutes while his family watched.


-Tim-

freeranger 05-14-19 06:54 AM

If the seat has to be mounted that far back on the post in order to be comfortable, might want to "reverse" the replacement post so the seat isn't mounted so far back.

Lemond1985 05-14-19 07:05 AM

OP needs a seat post like this one. Miles of setback on that thing, I'm tempted to buy this bike just for the post.

https://images.craigslist.org/00H0H_...D_1200x900.jpg

indyfabz 05-14-19 07:56 AM

Busted chain. Busted seat post. Maybe you ought to take up needlepoint. Just don't sue me if you put your eye out creating a piece mom would be proud to hang on her wall.

indyfabz 05-14-19 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20929076)
I don't know that a human body contains three gallons of blood but more like 1.25.

A child has about 70-75 Ml/Kg of body weight. Ergo, without knowing the OP's weight we cannot determine how much blood his body might contain. If he were an adult male it would be about 12 pints.

Lemond1985 05-14-19 08:13 AM

I have it on good scientific authority that "prump, plum muscles" use substantially more blood than the muscles of proles who ride dept store bikes like Free Spirits. GMC's and Firenzes.

cyccommute 05-14-19 08:30 AM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20929076)
I don't know that a human body contains three gallons of blood but more like 1.25.

Yea, 1.2 to 1.5 gallons.


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20929076)
There is an internet article floating around somewhere which claims someone died on the side of the road when a seatpost broke and pierced his femoral artery. I'm not claiming it is true but I was an altar server at a funeral for someone who shot himself in the femoral artery while cleaning his gun. He was gone in less than two minutes while his family watched.


-Tim-

A sliced artery is going to be a different injury all together. I wouldn't want to experience it but you could apply enough pressure to slow or stop the flow because the artery is still relatively intact and would be fairly easy to pinch off one end (the upper end if anyone is asking:rolleyes:).

A bullet impact is a whole other animal. The artery isn't just cut but it's pierced, torn and probably obliterated. It may even have suffered multiple piercings. A high speed impact like that does much more damage than being sliced.

cyccommute 05-14-19 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20929236)
A child has about 70-75 Ml/Kg of body weight. Ergo, without knowing the OP's weight we cannot determine how much blood his body might contain. If he were an adult male it would be about 12 pints.

12 pints is only 1.5 gallons. Just sayin'

Korina 05-14-19 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 20929296)
12 pints is only 1.5 gallons. Just sayin'

I'm getting close to donating my 64th pint. That's 6.4 people. Golly.

bakerjw 05-14-19 10:50 AM

If you've ever had an angiogram, you will notice that they put clear plastic with elastic around the edges over everything. It is in case they don't get a good seal. Blood will shoot everywhere.
When I had mine, they couldn't get the bleeding to stop for a few minutes. Really rattled my wife when they had to come get the doctor.

BlazingPedals 05-14-19 11:09 AM

I think this is a really old bike, or maybe a BSO? I've never seen rusty seat rails before.

79pmooney 05-14-19 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20928589)
Seriously, the bolt was probably way too tight.

That seatpost is a pierced femoral artery waiting to happen. If it does then you have about 90 seconds to make peace with God.


-Tim-

Have you ever heard of that happening? Every time I've busted a seatpost, I had a nice solid seat between my butt and the post. Maybe not for long, but plenty long enough to stand up.

Now if the [post snapped coming out of the frame. that would be a different story.

79pmooney 05-14-19 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20929134)
OP needs a seat post like this one. Miles of setback on that thing, I'm tempted to buy this bike just for the post.

https://images.craigslist.org/00H0H_...D_1200x900.jpg

Good post! I've got two. (I'm a setback guy.) SR MTE-100. 26.4 is the usual diameter so a shim will almost certainly be needed. You can save a little weight and make the seat harder to steal by replacing the quick-release with a bolt and washers from a hardware store.

Ben

Ben


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.