Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   anybody ride in vibran five finger toe shoes??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=764749)

koke 09-01-11 12:18 PM

anybody ride in vibran five finger toe shoes???

I searched if anyone else had posted this but i coudn't find anything.

I have two pairs of these minimalist toe shoes, the're very confortable and they do have a positive effect on your body, for me, they corrected my posture and almost eliminated my back pain, they "make" you learn to eliminate the heel strike wen you run (or even walk).

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone else has a pair (or more) and has made the experiment to ride wearing these, i have been tempted to do so, and i probably will.

BTW some people think these toe shoes are ridiculous, but i like them, and that's not the point of this tread.:thumb:

Elvo 09-01-11 01:01 PM

Sounds like a recipe for hot spots. I have some Sprints and would never think of riding in them. I carry them on longer rides in case I need to walk though. They easily fold up into my jersey pocket.

ro-monster 09-01-11 03:52 PM

I have the VFF Classics, and I did try riding in them, on plain pedals. It wasn't very comfortable. I could feel every ridge and bump on the pedals, and they started to dig into my feet. I'm hoping to get some KSO Treks, and if I do, I'll try riding in them. I imagine that will work somewhat better, since the soles are a little more substantial.

koke 09-01-11 04:20 PM

I have the trek sport and the bikila ls, the sole is more rugged than the classics, if i have time i'll use them tomorrow wen i ride!!!

I'll put comments here about it after.:D

Sixty Fiver 09-01-11 04:28 PM

Bought the Komodo LS last month and spent a good deal of time riding with them on half step pedals and really enjoyed it... neuropathy in my left leg and foot has reduced feeling in that area and the shoe gives me really good feedback as to where my foot is without any discomfort from the pedal. I usually wear clipless shoes or use clips and straps to keep my wandering foot in place and it was nice to ride barefoot.

My friend wears his KSO on his recumbent trike a great deal.

My wife and I both have back issues and the shoes have really helped reduce pain and have allowed me to walk and stand for longer periods of time as well... she has also worn her KSO shoes on her bike and really likes them on flat pedals.

koke 09-01-11 06:44 PM

Cool!!! now i'll definitely give it a try!!!:D

BTW the komodo are super cool!!! probably my next buy!!!

fietsbob 09-01-11 07:12 PM

One Young Woman, riding leader for a bunch of teenage kids, doing a coast ride had a pair on..
still got my old favorites , Birkenstock insoles improve the interior of several shoes..

Sixty Fiver 09-01-11 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by koke (Post 13166586)
Cool!!! now i'll definitely give it a try!!!:D

BTW the komodo are super cool!!! probably my next buy!!!

The Komodo is not as flat on the sole as the KSO and offers a little more protection... opted for the LS as I have difficulty getting them on my left foot and the quick lace helps as does the higher instep of these.

JanMM 09-01-11 07:54 PM

Are there any barefoot-style shoes specifically designed for cycling? Or barefoot-compatible pedals?

A10K 09-01-11 08:43 PM

^^^ You mean Vibrams with recessed SPD cleats? :D

I have one friend who rides in Vibrams all the time. I tried it on my MKS Sylvan pedals and hated it, way too much pointiness in the pedal (the teeth are pretty aggressive). I spend a day wearing them and realized I prefer them as hiking/running shoes rather than everyday shoes, since they seem most uncomfortable when I'm standing around for long periods of time on concrete/tile. I have TrekSports, if it makes any difference.

HokuLoa 09-02-11 12:53 AM

I futz around town on my MTB w/ SPDs in them. I wouldn't call it "riding" in any grand sense of the word but they are fine for leisurely AtoB trips. They probably are also not the safest alternative with SPDs but I kinda like the feeling of wrapping my toes around the pedal fronts and gripping them a bit...

koke 09-02-11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by A10K (Post 13167199)
^^^ You mean Vibrams with recessed SPD cleats? :D

I have one friend who rides in Vibrams all the time. I tried it on my MKS Sylvan pedals and hated it, way too much pointiness in the pedal (the teeth are pretty aggressive). I spend a day wearing them and realized I prefer them as hiking/running shoes rather than everyday shoes, since they seem most uncomfortable when I'm standing around for long periods of time on concrete/tile. I have TrekSports, if it makes any difference.

hahaha, i think the SPD cleats would defeat the purpose of the "barefoot feel" and especially recessed!!! OUCH!!!

Maybe just a strap like most fixed gear bikes have on their pedals.

How long have you been using you VFF's??? i had that same problem wen i first bought them, they felt uncomfortable wen standing still or just walking on plain surfaces, but if you wear them long enough the tendons and muscles in your feet get stronger and pretty soon the pain goes away.

ThermionicScott 09-02-11 09:46 PM

I've tried riding in my Vivo Barefoots a few times, but the harshness of the "teeth" on the platform side, coupled with the slickness of the soles, made for a less-than-pleasurable ride.

TurbineBlade 09-03-11 05:49 AM

anybody ride in vibran five finger toe shoes???
Huh?

You mean plastic 2 eyes nose penis earmuffs?

Sixty Fiver 09-03-11 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by koke (Post 13170020)
hahaha, i think the SPD cleats would defeat the purpose of the "barefoot feel" and especially recessed!!! OUCH!!!

Maybe just a strap like most fixed gear bikes have on their pedals.

How long have you been using you VFF's??? i had that same problem wen i first bought them, they felt uncomfortable wen standing still or just walking on plain surfaces, but if you wear them long enough the tendons and muscles in your feet get stronger and pretty soon the pain goes away.

There is a break in period for many people... shoes help us develop bad walking habits and weaken our feet since they restrict natural motion.

Have always been toe-heel walker and these encourage this which allows the foot and ankle to act as a shock absorber instead of relying on the heel of a shoe to absorb shock.

Have noticed that I have less spasms in my left foot now... do notice that with less back pain I can walk a little more and can feel fatigue in my smaller toes as they have been working harder.

Know a guy who has not worn shoes for over 20 years, he is a well educated man and a teacher and only carries sandals for when establishments will refuse service or in environments where the surface is hazardous.

He rides up and down the west coast and back and forth into Mexico in bare feet on old fashioned smooth pedals... logs 1000's of miles on his bike this way.

Did not find there was much of a break in period for me... have to do daily physio which includes my feet as the left one has limited feeling and needs to be worked out... the FF shoes help with this a lot and my physiotherapist really approves of these for many people who have various issues.

katcorot 09-03-11 04:11 PM

I looked at the Vibrams not too long ago, for the reason like Sixty Fiver's friend. I don't wear shoes much when I'm in my neighborhood. Have traveled some distance from home using the metro trains. I couldn't use the Vibrams for having 1 crooked little toe on both feet :( . Still looking for some pedals that I don't mind riding barefoot on. Currently the only times I like wearing shoes is when I'm riding aggressively or in the winter. which might change soon :D

koke 09-05-11 12:34 PM

OK, so i tried to ride with the VFF's this past weekend, the truth is there not so bad, the only thing is, bike pedals are designed for shoes or cleats, so there not so enjoyable, i wouldn't say there bad, just not as enjoyable as i thought.

The ideal pedal would have a concave surface where you could rest the balls of your feet, then turn flat on the rear were the arch of the foot begins, sort of an upside down airplane wing design, and maybe just a strap to hold your foot down. :D

Kimmitt 09-05-11 08:46 PM

I've ridden in Vibrams -- there are two basic issues. The first is that your toe is farther out than in regular style shoes, so you can catch it on stuff. The second is that the pedal teeth bite into your feet after a short time.

Both are well-handled by a pair of nice big platform pedals with very light stubbling. So that's my recommendation -- go spend twenty bucks on a cute pair of extruded plastic platform pedals that match your color scheme.

kwjohns 09-06-11 10:10 AM

I've worn mine a few times. Don't plan on it anymore. My only concern was my toes hanging down further than in shoes and thus resulting in my toes dragging against the pavement every once in a while on turns and scaring the crap out of me.

jril 09-10-11 05:49 PM

My husband & I both ride in our VFFs, both on rat trap pedals and we find them pretty comfortable. The longest ride we've done wearing VFFs was 20 miles. He has the Bikilas and I have the Sprint, which have a more rigid sole than the Bikilas. I can feel the ridges of the pedals through mine, but not to an uncomfortable degree.

NormDeplume 09-10-11 08:14 PM

I've never ridden in my VFFs, I guess I'm still worried about errant toes. I ride routinely in my Merrell "barefoot" Pace Gloves, though. I've never had a problem with the pedal teeth bothering me.

I keep thinking I'll someday ride to the trail head, then run the trails, but I prefer to run in VFFs or huaraches, and my fear of separate toe shoes w/ bikes has kept me from doing it. My dad was an ambulance driver back in the day and instilled great fear about toes and bicycle chains, lol. Someday I'll get courageous about it.

jdon 09-10-11 08:33 PM

I am waiting for the 5 toe version.

LesterOfPuppets 09-10-11 08:50 PM

I've ridden in wetsuit booties. Not very nice at all on GT BMX pedals or Shimano PD-1051 pedals.

I reckon those barefoot running shoes have tougher soles than wetsuit booties though.