Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Utility Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Bicycling with Cats (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=626530)

akohekohe 03-06-10 06:54 PM

Bicycling with Cats

I take the cats to the vet in their cat cage using the BD but I don't take them anywhere else. Do others take their cats bicycling? Do you have cats that actually seem to like it?

crackerdog 03-06-10 11:27 PM

They really like it if you just put them under your jacket. (Don't try this at home). I haven't known many cats that travel well.

prathmann 03-06-10 11:50 PM

We had one cat that used to follow us on walks around the neighborhood but would sometimes fall behind or get lost in other ways. Then I'd go out by bike and find her and bring her back home in my handlebar bag - but I don't think she really liked the bike ride.

Recently I met a woman on BART (our light rail/subway system) who had her two cats in a soft-sided carrier on the rear rack of her bike (typical hybrid). They seemed to be quite comfortable there and she said that she usually took them along with her when possible.

Allen 03-07-10 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by donnamb (Post 5475155)
Ok, so I know this is a cat, but I do have to haul her to the vet on Friday and I don't have a car to do it with. I found this front carrier at a local pet store. I'll ride slower than normal, but it works well. We went on a test ride this evening.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/IMG_0384.jpg

Of course, Thunderhead hated it.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_0385_2.jpg

Donna uses this thing to haul her cat.

tmiller9909 03-07-10 12:29 AM

I used to carry my cats in a Chrome messenger bag... not while cycling, but just walking a few blocks. It would've worked the same biking, though I don't know if they might get restless after a while. If you want to carry the cat while biking, it may be best to have them inside something that they cannot see out of at all. Most cats will be more calm if they can't see what's going on.

Some cats can get used to riding on a bike... I've seen a one or two bums or strange old guys that rode around with their cat in a milk crate on a front rack.

wahoonc 03-07-10 07:52 AM

We have a guy that travels around our area with a cat on his bike, or if he is walking on his shoulder. The cat is a Japanese Mi-ke and they apparently enjoy travel. I suspect if you started with a kitten you would get better results than if you started with an older cat. Cats get set in their ways/territories and quite often have problems adjusting to change. I used to have a small grey tiger that loved to ride in my truck with me, but I doubt she would have liked a bicycle.

Aaron:)

coldfeet 03-07-10 09:50 AM

I've been wanting to see if my cats do better on a bike than in a car. I think I will have to wait until i can rig an open basket with securing straps on the back of my BD. The big cat hates being caged, even when he was a tiny kitten.

P.S. What happened to Donna?

Arcanum 03-07-10 11:12 AM

I'm probably going to have to take my cat to the vet on my Mundo some time this spring. I'll probably just strap his carrier to the upper platform. He's very phlegmatic when it comes to such things (car rides don't bother him, baths are remarkably drama-free, etc.), so I expect he'll do fine.

terraskye 03-07-10 11:26 AM

What a great thread!! I have to take my cat to the vet in two weeks and its a very doable trip on the bike if i can figure out how to bungee her soft sided carrier on my rear rack without squashing her...I should practice that now while hubby is cleaning the bathroom:)

I'll take pictures

wahoonc 03-07-10 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by terraskye (Post 10492352)
What a great thread!! I have to take my cat to the vet in two weeks and its a very doable trip on the bike if i can figure out how to bungee her soft sided carrier on my rear rack without squashing her...I should practice that now while hubby is cleaning the bathroom:)

I'll take pictures

Maybe put the soft side carrier in a hardside box with a net over the top? Our cats always rode in hard side carriers, we had two that were sisters but not litter mates, the older one hated the carrier with a passion the younger one could have cared less.

Aaron :)

HSean 03-07-10 04:57 PM

I've seen cats ride in weird ways here, I seen one on a dudes shoulder while he was biking lol

noglider 03-09-10 10:05 PM

Back in the 70's, there was a kid who rode around Central Park in New York City. His bike pulled a tricycle, which pulled another tricycle. On each tricycle stood a cat which patiently sat on the seat with its front paws on the handlebars. I don't know how or why this occurred. The mind boggles.

I have an unusual cat named Booger who goes with the dogs and me on our walks. He's a good traveler. Sometimes he stops following us. He meets us back home. He has a keen sense of direction. Booger is a good car traveler. I don't use a cat box. I just toss him in the car. He moves around the car and looks out the window. Then he settles down and relaxes. I walk into the vet holding Booger under my arm. This used to surprise the vet and receptionist, but they're used to it now. He also walks into other people's homes and cars.

Booger just had his leg amputated for cancer. He seems OK now. I'm not sure he'll be as adventurous as he was. He is adapting well and quickly, though. I might take him on my bike some day, but I think I'll restrain him in some kind of cage.

Nigal 03-10-10 04:42 AM

I would think a cat carrier strapped down on the rack and covered to keep the cat calm. The vet will thank you.

qmsdc15 03-10-10 05:58 AM

I just like to post this picture.

I inserted a small car floor mat that had a fabric surface that Jackson could easily grip and a rubber underside that stuck pretty good to the pet carrier floor. So I think he could keep himself from getting thrown around. I rode gentle, only a couple short trips to the vet (less than 1/2 mile away). Although he looks scared here, he didn't seem to mind it too much.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...IMG_1849_2.jpg

Jagee 03-10-10 09:02 PM

It never occurred to me to even try taking one of my two cats on a ride before I saw some posts on Tarik Saleh's blog (http://tsaleh.blogspot.com/) involving cats and bikes. At one point, he took a cat for a test ride on his Raleigh 20, in a milk crate I think, which seemed successful. Because I have both a 20 and two cats, I've since fantasized about riding with a feline passenger in tow. My tom cat is the best candidate, since he's a laid back dude. But he's got a heart condition (HCM) and so I'll probably avoid undue excitement. My female cat (are they called queens?) is not a good candidate and would yammer and yowl the whole way. Apparently tortoiseshells are nothing if not vocally assertive. In any event, I think she'd get pretty angry pretty fast.

Alas, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys; please post pics of cat rides! I'll live in jealous happiness.

wahoonc 03-11-10 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jagee (Post 10509191)
It never occurred to me to even try taking one of my two cats on a ride before I saw some posts on Tarik Saleh's blog (http://tsaleh.blogspot.com/) involving cats and bikes. At one point, he took a cat for a test ride on his Raleigh 20, in a milk crate I think, which seemed successful. Because I have both a 20 and two cats, I've since fantasized about riding with a feline passenger in tow. My tom cat is the best candidate, since he's a laid back dude. But he's got a heart condition (HCM) and so I'll probably avoid undue excitement. My female cat (are they called queens?) is not a good candidate and would yammer and yowl the whole way. Apparently tortoiseshells are nothing if not vocally assertive. In any event, I think she'd get pretty angry pretty fast.

Alas, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys; please post pics of cat rides! I'll live in jealous happiness.

Tell me about it! We had two of them and they would let you know their presence. They also loved to carry on a conversation with you.:lol:

Aaron :)

JonnyHK 03-11-10 06:30 AM

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rottnest/rastus.htm

For real - but only in New Zealand and sadly now deceased.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rottnest/rastus.jpg

hshearer 03-11-10 11:24 AM

I have been taking cats on trips A LOT recently (6 trips in the last month, involving 5 different cats). I have a child trailer and a carrier that is large enough for 2-3 cats. I put a king-size pillow in the carrier to soften the bumps, and cover the carrier with a blanket to muffle street noise and for warmth, then enclose it in the trailer. I take quiet streets and MUPs, trying to avoid bumps and noisy intersections. Based on the quantity and quality of meowing, and the attitude post-ride, they don't seem to find it any more stressful than car trips.

However, for me, this is only for cats in good health. I have one cat who is critically ill right now, and I transport him by car, since it's a little faster, smoother-riding, the noise level is more consistant, and it's climate-controlled.

noglider 03-11-10 01:01 PM

I hope your kitty gets better soon.

rumrunn6 03-11-10 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this has nothing to do with cats or bikes but the hairy guy reminded me I brought this picture in to work today to show a friend who is going to San Fran, CA. I met thus guy and his dog in Sausalito

terraskye 03-13-10 09:01 PM

After much squashing of the kitty with the bungees (though she was pretty cool about it) and some googling I found this

http://www.pets2bed.com/site/1405195...6-bike-baskets

I think she will enjoy being in the front as opposed to being in the back. She does seem to love our bikes as she is always sleeping underneath them and she doesn't mind being in a carrier so I think she will like it. If she loves it then we'll take her out for weekend bike rides.

Eide 03-19-10 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by terraskye (Post 10492352)

I'll take pictures

I've sewn D-rings to the bottom of some of my purses/bags so that I can strap them to my rear rack without squishing them. The D rings usually blend in/look subtle on most bags. Would probably work well for you.

I have a topeak rack so I've also been thinking about buying the quick-slide mechanism and adding those onto things as well.

Eide 03-19-10 01:47 PM

I've brought one of my two cats to the vet via bike, just attached their small hardsided carrier to my rear rack with bungees. She hated it but I think she hated the 15 minute ride waay less than she would have hated the 1hour subway trip which would have included train changes and lots of noise and little kids with pokey fingers. (I think she also hated it less than the big gruff russian vet or the adorable head cone). I think my large male cat would love it, but only because he LOVES all things that involve him being shoved into tiny boxes.

terraskye 03-19-10 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eide (Post 10549176)
I've sewn D-rings to the bottom of some of my purses/bags so that I can strap them to my rear rack without squishing them. The D rings usually blend in/look subtle on most bags. Would probably work well for you.

I have a topeak rack so I've also been thinking about buying the quick-slide mechanism and adding those onto things as well.

Oh thats a great idea...do you have a picture you could share so I can see it? I'm much better at visuals lol

TIA

terraskye 04-11-10 02:04 PM

We finally figured out how to take out kitty out on the bike with us and we did a test ride with her to Starbucks today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../th_002-15.jpg

The straps on her carrier were long enough that I could carry the bag like a messenger bag. She didn't shift around much either to throw me off balance and luckily didn't cry at all either. I can't say she was happy but I am hoping that eventually she will get used to it