Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   My recent find: '85 TREK 660 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1131550)

hazetguy 12-26-17 07:16 PM

My recent find: '85 TREK 660

old thread, bike is long gone

Hobbiano 12-26-17 07:35 PM

Thats a great deal! I think you could make a nice work stand out of that trainer. Maybe a simple bench to bring it up to a good height...

OldsCOOL 12-26-17 07:45 PM

Great score! Classic Trek road racers are gems. I had an ‘85 460 that put me back on the road. Kept that one for 9 years and road a century ride with it. I miss it. Currently I have an ‘86 760 Pro Series with full 531, Campy drivetrain and Mavic tubular wheelset. The frame braze date is very close to your 660 at 12/4/84.

You are going to have some great miles with that bike!

kydeadhead 12-26-17 07:55 PM

That's a fantastic bike. They were actually all 531cs, not just the main tubes. My '84 had a crack develop in the head tube and was replaced with an '85 frame, so just like yours with a Campy drivetrain. Enjoy it!

Chris_in_Miami 12-26-17 08:00 PM

Thanks for sharing, hope you have many enjoyable miles together!

Chris_in_Miami 12-26-17 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbiano (Post 20073583)
Thats a great deal! I think you could make a nice work stand out of that trainer. Maybe a simple bench to bring it up to a good height...

That's a great idea, and I can envision how I could clamp the main beam in the jaws of my Workmate bench. Now I'm kicking myself for passing on a Vetta trainer I was offered for free a few weeks ago!

BocaJr 12-26-17 08:16 PM

Congrats, great find! It's funny how sometimes the most obscure listings on CL will yield the best bikes.

Hobbiano 12-26-17 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami (Post 20073621)
That's a great idea, and I can envision how I could clamp the main beam in the jaws of my Workmate bench. Now I'm kicking myself for passing on a Vetta trainer I was offered for free a few weeks ago!

Yep. And used just like it is, would be great for wrapping handlebars. Holds them so they won't move.

thinktubes 12-26-17 08:44 PM

Very nice snag!!!

Classtime 12-26-17 08:46 PM

Fantastic story and a fine "training" bike. I rode my son's red 560 a little bit and really enjoyed it (also red with yellow cables). I'll find a serious TREK race bike of my own one day.

Piff 12-27-17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 20074250)
Thanks for all the comments. I really enjoyed riding it, and am planning on doing some minor component changes to make it better for me.
I still want to go through the headset and maybe the bottom bracket, just because of the unknown factor, and to get some fresh grease in there. That will be a project for further into the winter.

Would probably be worth it to give the derailleurs an overhaul as well while you're at it. Unless that's one of the component upgrades you're planning?

The Golden Boy 12-28-17 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 20075590)
Would probably be worth it to give the derailleurs an overhaul as well while you're at it. Unless that's one of the component upgrades you're planning?

The Cyclone derailleurs would be among some of the very best friction derailleurs ever...

Classtime 12-28-17 10:30 AM

Before you go hunting for another Matrix rim, make sure you can mount your favorite tires on your current matrix. I've had trouble with most tires being very very tight.

Piff 12-28-17 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 20076062)
The Cyclone derailleurs would be among some of the very best friction derailleurs ever...

Agreed.

OldsCOOL 12-28-17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 20076062)

I concur. My 85 460 had the “S” and was flawless and easy to use.

Piff 12-28-17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 20077273)
Thanks for the Matrix tip Classtime, I'll check it out. I think I'd want one just to get the overall package closer to original, even if I did not use it. There's a 700 x 25 on the one Matrix right now, but when I measured the actual inflated tire diameter, it was only 20mm!

I have no desire to replace the Cyclone derailleurs, and plan to keep them on the bike. I really liked the way they shifted.
I'm actually going to look for period correct shifter levers for them. Anyone have pics of what they should look like?

This is what I found on velobase: http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?G...b-c724438a7410

And look what I found here...http://shop2.re-cycle.com/product/su...fters-1782.htm

Dunno if ebay has better prices, I didn't check.

crank_addict 12-28-17 07:44 PM

smokin' buy!

Funny too as the included vinti Coke water bottle may fetch a good portion of your initial investment.

Cheers~

Chombi1 12-28-17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 20076057)
Yeah, I plan on going through everything and cleaning/lubing.
I gave the derailleurs a few drops of tri-flow on the pivots to help for now. The bike shifts great, but I still want to go through them.
I want to change the shifters. The composite/plastic Ofmega shifters don't inspire confidence. I want to upgrade the cables/sleeves to Jagwire, and get some KoolStop pads for the brakes. So it's that kind of change/upgrade type stuff at this point. I'd also like to find a Sansin/Sunshine front hub and matching Matrix front rim, just to have a matched set.

You should eventually replace the big chainring on the crankset to a proper Ofmega Mistral chainring, to get maximum aesthetic effect. The Mistral crankset with its angled spider and big ring design had become quite sought after through the years and now adds value to bikes it is installed on,........
unless the original was something like a Campy SR.....

The Golden Boy 12-28-17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Piff (Post 20077298)
This is what I found on velobase: VeloBase.com - View Group

And look what I found here...Suntour Cyclone Downtube Shifters -

Dunno if ebay has better prices, I didn't check.

That's a pretty nice price for them. Those levers were the same as the Superbe Pro levers for that iteration.

IMO- the Sprint shifters are the ones to get.

richard4993 12-29-17 09:38 AM

Great bike. I just picked one up for 150. The derailieurs were replaced with Shimano Sante and 105 shifters. I'll get some photos up in the Trek thread once it warms up a little bit.

bnewberry 12-29-17 10:08 AM

I congratulate you on your outstanding good fortune! I wish I could find such great deals!

ksole7 01-03-18 06:43 PM

Great Find! looks in good shape!

3speedslow 01-03-18 08:14 PM

You're welcome. Wait til you use it tow rap the handle bar. The fork is held tight which make wrapping a breeze plus it is at a good height for the job.

antmaster5000 01-11-18 04:19 PM

Very cool bike! Threads like these keep me obsessing on CL every day.

jjames1452 01-11-18 07:13 PM

Very Nice find!!!!! Thanks for resurrecting a C&V Trek!!