Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Nashbar Fuji Track Pro (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=741119)

Squirrelli 06-05-11 03:20 PM

Nashbar Fuji Track Pro

The FTPs at Nashbar are super cheap right now for only $200. However, the description box says it is only 44T Max, maybe that's why they are so cheap.

Can anyone with a discount Nashbar FTP confirm that this claim?

yummygooey 06-05-11 03:25 PM

I've heard some people have been getting updated versions without the problem and some have been getting earlier versions with the problem.

kvangundy 06-05-11 03:45 PM

I got one...I have a 50t Dura Ace crankset on there, no rub. About 3mm of clearance.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...17/photo-8.jpg

LupinIII 06-05-11 04:12 PM

yeah me and kevin both got ftps that were crimped from the factory to fit just about any track crank (been using my eai cobra cranks just fine with a 46, but definitely space for my 50)

our friend james though got an old version without chainstay crimping. he also got a ****ty saddle clamp topper.

hamish5178 06-05-11 05:53 PM

Anyone know what kind of fork rake these are supposed to have? Would the 43mm ones from nashbar be alright?

cc700 06-05-11 08:12 PM

it would be alright but i'm pretty sure fuji specs it with a lower rake fork.
http://2009.fujibikes.com/Specialty/Track/TrackPro.aspx
fork "offset" depending on size is 30-35... very low track specific.

43 won't be the end of the world, but the bike may have trouble tracking, like a shopping cart that's front loaded.
i just ordered mine today so i'm sure i'll either get refunded or receive and assemble it the day after the track closes.

hamish5178 06-05-11 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cc700 (Post 12745255)
i just ordered mine today so i'm sure i'll either get refunded or receive and assemble it the day after the track closes.

I've been planning on buying my lady a bike with my next paycheck, and had decided on a kilo. With all the **** I have lying around I could assemble a FTP for not too much more but it'll be more trouble than it's worth for me.

Are you just planning on using all the parts from your Visp if you do indeed get one?

cc700 06-05-11 08:33 PM

yeh then selling the visp. i mean, somewhat obviously. i built the visp after my extreme hardon for Koshy's FTP and honestly bought it because i didn't have the money for the ftp at city grounds.

and i'd be super surprised if a) the backordered frames ever do ship and b) they clear non-fsacarbon cranks without spacers and ridiculous q factors.

i have no doubt it's a great bike once the right crank is on it but i don't think they really realized that most of them had the crank problem until their advance order teams started telling them about it. it's a nonessential check that would have no reason to be performed, as they more than likely test the frames on predesigned rigs and then assemble them only with final shipment parts, or not at all...

LupinIII 06-05-11 08:35 PM

i'm using a 43mm rake road fork since it's what i had leftover from the lynskey sale. no problems riding no handed, it is a touch twitchy though. no toe overlap on my 54 with L mks clips. if you care.

also would not recommend this for a girlfirend fixie. the geo is kinda screwed up (though it might work perfectly for tiny sizes) and it's really harsh on the street. i don't really care, i'm not riding this much farther than the coffee shop. but for longer fixed rides the continuum is better. this is about as uncomfortable as the peloton (though in opposite ways. peloton is smooth but seat angle kills the arms, the fuji has a more usable sta, but way buzzy over the road surface)

incredibleting 06-05-11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by kvangundy (Post 12743869)
I got one...I have a 50t Dura Ace crankset on there, no rub. About 3mm of clearance.

Is this the one from Nashbar?

hamish5178 06-05-11 11:25 PM

Lupin, in what way is the geo "screwed up"?

LupinIII 06-05-11 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by incredibleting (Post 12745684)
Is this the one from Nashbar?

yes

Originally Posted by hamish5178 (Post 12745974)
Lupin, in what way is the geo "screwed up"?

in general, mostly that all sizes have the same size seat mast (which is a bit crazy since a 61 will probably need more than 73cm of seat mast), head tubes are more or less the same size across the range (the 52 posted above has a head tube that's about 8mm shorter than our friend's 61) mostly the headtube is just wayy too short. kvangundy is pretty flexible, but he's running his with about a cm of spacers and a +6deg stem and he has his back horizontal in the drops. it's hard to imagine that someone 6" taller on a 61 needs the same size head tube.

it's a fun bike, but it definitely benefits the smaller people i think. i probably wouldn't buy past a 56 atmo

kevvwill 06-05-11 11:42 PM

Raced one for two seasons. The geometry is fine, with the Fuji-supplied fork. If you have to go aftermarket, just get one with the same rake as the stock bike, and you'll be fine. The chainstay complexity is the bigger problem. Bummer that Nashbar is selling both good and "bad" ones, and people aren't finding out until they get their bikes.

Short head tubes are what seems to be in for track bikes these days, which is why everyone is running stems with some rise to them. The FTP is a fine track racing bike. I personally would imagine it beating the hell out of you on the streets, though. It's stiff AND rigid. The former is good, the latter is bad (but not a big problem on the track).

incredibleting 06-06-11 11:44 AM

Thanks Lupin, looks like there is hope! So far no one has received the 44t version, right?

rustybrown 06-06-11 12:17 PM

Itchy
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_...r_finger_2.jpg

LupinIII 06-07-11 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by incredibleting (Post 12747775)
Thanks Lupin, looks like there is hope! So far no one has received the 44t version, right?

nope, my friend's 61 and a 54 he bought to flip both have non-crimped chainstays. he also got a 56 to flip but I don't know if that one was crimped. it's really hit or miss.

cc700 06-07-11 07:51 PM

oh, glad your friend bought all the frames that I WAS GOING TO RIDE.

i hope he is forced to sell them for a loss.

avner 06-07-11 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cc700 (Post 12755076)
oh, glad your friend bought all the frames that i was going to ride.

I hope he is forced to sell them for a loss.

qft.

hamish5178 06-07-11 09:13 PM

Loves buying bike parts, hates capitalism?

cc700 06-07-11 09:21 PM

there's a difference between entrepreneurship and flipping goods. when you pay retail for something(yes, even buying a severely discounted frame on nashbar is still technically a retail sale) you're buying it for personal use, not for resale. this is effectively scalping frames, and calling it capitalism is faulty and overly generous.

LupinIII 06-07-11 09:35 PM

well he bought them to hook up people who missed out on the deal.

and even if he was marking them up, there isn't a big margin for markup when citygrounds is selling them with a fork for 350, and i fail to see how this is any different from buying wholesale from a distributor to resell

yummygooey 06-07-11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by LupinIII (Post 12755636)
citygrounds is selling them with a fork for 350

ftfy

I got so excited when ordering that I forgot to grab a couple extra. Now I'm too lazy to go through checkout again.

AaronH 06-07-11 10:34 PM

So nice and so cheap... hard to justify having only been on the bike twice this year :-(

cc700 06-07-11 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by LupinIII (Post 12755636)
well he bought them to hook up people who missed out on the deal.

and even if he was marking them up, there isn't a big margin for markup when citygrounds is selling them with a fork for 350, and i fail to see how this is any different from buying wholesale from a distributor to resell

because nashbar isn't licensed as a distributor, they're licensed as a retailer.

and if you don't care about that then enjoy your world of pimps and snake oil

LupinIII 06-07-11 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by cc700 (Post 12755901)
because nashbar isn't licensed as a distributor, they're licensed as a retailer.

and if you don't care about that then enjoy your world of pimps and snake oil

my mind is completely bottled