Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Busted! Chain Blowout (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171223)

allout1 04-23-19 01:32 AM

Busted! Chain Blowout

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fcee3bdd8c.jpg

Right while I was in action. I was pushing the envelope, hard railing the curbs, navigating the cars and corners...then boom! Nothing. I looked down at the bike ike wtw, and \"chain's gone." I started laughing. People looking. I thought I completely blew the metro moment, but I blew a chain. So walking bike back two miles after that. Lol

DustyBF 04-23-19 03:09 AM

I hate when the chain breaks... It's a common problem I think :)

indyfabz 04-23-19 04:36 AM

Did you manual and then leave skid marks?

Lemond1985 04-23-19 04:45 AM

I thought it was a belt drive for a second, those are some long shadows. I have never broken a chain before, but not for lack of trying.

Were you shifting when the chain broke, or just powering along? City riding is great, probably the closest thing to combat any of us will ever experience. When done with just the right level of animal aggression, you don't even need to think, just react.

Curious though, did you just leave the chain in the street? That would have been the macho thing to do.

bakerjw 04-23-19 04:59 AM

Did it break at the break away pin?

I've never broken a chain. Not even on our tandems.

GrainBrain 04-23-19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20896650)
I thought it was a belt drive for a second, those are some long shadows. I have never broken a chain before, but not for lack of trying.

Yeah I had to stare for a second as well. Loooong shadows!

Tandem Tom 04-23-19 05:02 AM

My wife can and I were riding our tandem,with 4 panniers,up hill when our chain broke! That was exciting!!

shelbyfv 04-23-19 05:26 AM

Have to respect the level of commitment, regardless of the goal.

sweeks 04-23-19 05:37 AM

If you carried a chain tool, you'd just remove the remains of the broken link, reattach the chain and ride home (slowly, maybe). Easy-peasy!

indyfabz 04-23-19 05:41 AM

I rode across the country fully loaded with a dozen other people. That represented more than 44,000 bike miles. Not one chain problem.

FiftySix 04-23-19 06:02 AM

Time for a spare chain in the bike bag? :p

I can't tell from the photo, is the break where the master link mounted?

shelbyfv 04-23-19 06:35 AM

Looks like the chain is too short for that bike by about a third. Not surprising there were issues. Of course that particular chain and bike may have been for "illustrative purposes only."

Dirt Farmer 04-23-19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 20896663)
Yeah I had to stare for a second as well. Loooong shadows!

Yes, what an optical illusion!

BobbyG 04-23-19 06:40 AM

I have broken a chain or two in 30 years. It's a greatly over-rated experience. One time I was climbing one of Colorado Springs' steep hills. That bike did not have high top tube; but if it did...

Lemond1985 04-23-19 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 20896690)
If you carried a chain tool, you'd just remove the remains of the broken link, reattach the chain and ride home (slowly, maybe). Easy-peasy!

I used to carry a short piece of bailing wire in my seat bag, for emergency chain repairs, but never needed it.

eja_ bottecchia 04-23-19 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 (Post 20896650)

Were you shifting when the chain broke, or just powering along? City riding is great, probably the closest thing to combat any of us will ever experience. When done with just the right level of animal aggression, you don't even need to think, just react.

Curious though, did you just leave the chain in the street? That would have been the macho thing to do.

Yeah, that’s a really interesting shot of the chain, I too also initially thought it was a belt drive.

JohnDThompson 04-23-19 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 20896718)
Time for a spare chain in the bike bag?

Or just a chain tool and a spare master link.

Phil_gretz 04-23-19 07:34 AM

Had you just installed that chain by any chance? Master link, or did you re-drive a pin?

JanMM 04-23-19 07:47 AM

I don’t think that we have had any threads about the wonders of shaft drive bicycles in a long time. :eek: No chain to break! In either meaning of the word.

trailangel 04-23-19 08:17 AM

Chain looks like old 5 speed. And rusty. Bike looks new. I smell troll

FiftySix 04-23-19 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20896795)
Or just a chain tool and a spare master link.

Of course. :)

fietsbob 04-23-19 09:38 AM

When .. you shift matters ... forcing the chain to move sideways under climbing tension force
is not beneficial..

particularly now that, in order to pack in more cogs in a limited space,
the chains had to be thinner and the pins flush..

rumrunn6 04-23-19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 20896690)

haha yup. I broke a chain (old & rusted) showing off in front of my kids. then I told them, "no worries I have a tool to fix that". embarrassed a 2nd time, that it wasn't in my bag

rumrunn6 04-23-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20897055)
When .. you shift matters ... forcing the chain to move sideways under climbing tension force
is not beneficial......

yup, under load, easier to drop the front derailer to the smaller chain ring than shift that rear derailer up to the taller gears

fietsbob 04-23-19 11:13 AM

You can get a surge of momentum ahead , and that momentum can give you the momentary reduction of force

on the chain and that will help not blow out your chain pins ..

another option , on bike tours , is the double U turn.. cross the road , head down hill

get in the granny gear chainring , the U turn again and give the hill another go..

Reading the terrain ahead and getting prepared for the climb by getting in the rear ratio range before you need it

take advantage of the gear ratio overlaps by knowing where they are double shift

go to granny + a smaller cog , shift down further on the rear ..

Racing , you shift higher as you want to get to the top first and are willing to suffer
to gain that distance over your rivals..